Software
Houzz Logo Print
sharybee

Backsplash dilemma

6 years ago

So my kitchen is almost completed but I still haven’t decided what should my backsplash be. Don’t want it to be just all white subway tiles as what most have done. Would like to add a splash of color hence thinking about doing a small feature design above the stove and the rest be some sort of white tiles. Some tile combinations attached.

Comments (10)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    What is your counter material? It looks solid white. Is that correct? Is it the same on the island?

    If so, I would use an actual Carrara marble tile. If you like the hexagonal shape, consider larger, 6” or 7” hex, and forget about the insert. With a beautiful statement tile you don’t need one.


    If your counter is something man made or has a lot of movement, please include an image.

    It looks great so far.

    Oh, consider getting the stainless steel riser for the back of your range.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for replying eam. My counter top is not in yet but it will be white granite countertop but not really solid white. Something similar to pic 1. My island countertop is a pine colored wood countertop with grey hues. Pic 4 are options I am considering for the backsplash. And also should I do a little feature design at the stove area? What do you think?

  • 6 years ago

    eam, I just read your message about the insert or feature tile. Ok. Maybe you at right. Will be a little too much.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Well, maybe. The way I’d look at it is the backsplash should be one design, but it can be a great feature. You have some veining in your counter, so I would stay away from veining in your backsplash, so no marble tile and no ceramic marble look tile. But almost anything else could work. You need inspiration images. Search for kitchens with blue lowers and white uppers and see what other people do.

    Once your new counters are in, bring samples home to see them in your space. Pictures will not do it.




  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the suggestion. Actually my countertop doesn’t have any veining. It’s got tiny grey speckles. Pic 1. This was the closet I could get to a plain white surface. I’ll be going to do one more round of tile shopping tomorrow. Will be making the final decision then.

  • 6 years ago

    To me, your kitchen has an really attractive industrial vibe to it which the cutesy snaller tiles and country patterns undercut. If you want a smaller tile, eam's suggestion of the plain hex in her first photo is the best.

    I'd be looking for inspiration from industrial or contemporary kitchens. You can pull off something more dramatic.


    Not this color, but this feel, from a very quick photo search.


  • 6 years ago

    I am not a fan of the feature design above the range but I saw this recently in a showroom and it really looked nice.

    Justvtgat bit of navy to match the island. Then the subways in a different pattern than the field tile.

  • 6 years ago

    Looks really nice!

  • 6 years ago

    Backsplash looks great,