Software
Houzz Logo Print
pensol

Updating a 1990s red brick home

6 years ago

Can someone give us ideas for repainting our front door, shutters, side doors, and possibly garage doors? The white trim has to stay. We currently have black front door and shutters. Our neighbors have red brick with a blue green front door so we would like to stay away from that color.
Thank you!

Comments (5)

  • 6 years ago

    I would remove the shutters from the double windows. Paint the others a dark gray like Kitty Gray from Benjamin Moore. I would do either Narragansett Green or Newburyport Blue in the front door in a high gloss.

    Think about removing the yews from in front of your porch and planting a perennial garden. I would like to see some of the yews replaced with rhododendron, azalea, hydrangea, and mountain laurel. Add two of three ornamental trees out in the yard. Two of my favorites are Eastern Redbud and Sargent Crabapple.



    Eastern Redbud has beautiful burgundy foliage and striking purple flowers on the stems in spring.

    Mediterranean Garden · More Info


    Personal Landscape · More Info

    Sargent Crabapple has beautiful pink and white flowers in spring and red dime size "apples" in fall and winter. The fruit is not messy.

    Random Photos · More Info


    Plant Ideas & Colorful Combinations · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    Thanks so much for your help! Love those colors. Was considering BM Chelsea gray for doors? Would you leave garage doors white or paint same as other doors? Definitely agree with changing front landscape. To the side and in back of house we already have redbud, pink and white dogwood, and a cherry tree that blooms in spring. Appreciate your help!

  • 6 years ago

    I'd suggest painting all the garage doors to match the roof, to make them less overwhelming on that side.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I like Chelsea Gray, but I think it is too warm for your roof.


    How about Ashwood Moss for the shutters? I still think a color other than black or gray for the front door would be more interesting.

    I don't think you need to paint the garage doors. You could add decorative hardware and replace a panel for glass windows. An arbor over the garages would be pretty.


    Wild Cherry Garage · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    So Ashwood Moss on shutters...can you suggest another green for front door? The Naragansett green doesn’t seem to have enough contrast with shutter color?
    Garage doors definitely need something! We have one double and two single all in same area. I actually had planned to update them when we did a kitchen remodel but...
    Here is front door painted the Chelsea gray: