Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Part I: First year seedlings, FFOE for me!

celeste/NH
3 years ago

I've been suffering through a summer-long drought but for the first time in weeks, I am finally getting some rain today. Pods were dropping and I was resorting to dragging the hose around as much as I could but I've worried our well would run dry. The rain today is short-lived but it lifts my spirits enough to make me want to get around to posting some pictures finally. My first year growing seedlings was the bright spot in a disappointing summer. I guess you could call it 'beginner's luck' because about 80 percent of my one year olds bloomed which I was unaware could happen in zone 4/5. And they were in most cases better budded and taller than my registered cultivars which were pitiful this year.

I have several dozen to share so I will do these in installments. I will eventually get around to sharing these on the other forum and FB, but you will see them first. I am a super proud mama!

first to bloom on July 4th: BENTLEY SAMUEL x RED RIVER DANCER #3

Stats: 34" tall, 7" bloom, 11 buds

Next to bloom was BOB FAULKNER x DARIN BOYLES #10

Stats: 32" tall, 8" bloom, 11 buds, 4 branches

MIRROR SHADES x DARIN BOYLES#1 and 2

Stats: 26" tall, 6" bloom, 21 buds, 4 branches

and 28" tall, 6" bloom, 10 buds, 2 branches

THE THIN AIR x SPARKLING GIANTS #1

Only 7 buds so hope it improves, large 8" bloom

GREEN SPILL x ROSE F. KENNEDY #1

didn't record stats, bloom count unimpressive, maybe 8

BOB FAULKNER x MALACHITE SUNBIRD

stats not impressive in it's first year, but look at that green eye!

Comments (19)

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Those were mostly diploids so here are some TETRAS:

HEAVENLY ORANGE SCORCHER x HEAVENLY WAY BIG, # 3

Impressive stats for a one year old seedling: 10" bloom, 43" tall, 18 buds. Too bad these were orange because it's my least

favorite color....but who can argue with stats this good?? One parent is orange, the other is purple and you know I love purple! All 4 offspring are orange, darn it.

Here it is with it's sibling, #4

Seedling #4, sibling to above

(22 buds, 7" bloom, 43" tall)

check out the branching:

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A few other diploid seedlings:

TOOL MAN TIM x A BRIDGE TO NOWHERE

(Cowboy Scarf x Emerald Starburst x RFK) x Rainbow Maker #1

Sibling to above, #2 (great stats: upright foliage like a corn plant, 37" tall, 6" bloom, 15 buds, good branching)

Pendergriff Greenie x Green Token #6

(19 buds, 33" tall, 8" bloom, instant REBLOOM)

Emerald Starburst X Rose F. Kennedy #1

(Stargate Portal x Barn Owl) x Psychedelicious)

Made You Blush x Isabelle Rose #4
    This is an enormous 10 inch bloom, 40" scape; and it's fragrant

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Nice seedlings Celeste! I really like the 1st 3, well, I really like them all actually. I am not fond of orange, but those last 2 look really interesting.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! I was busy posting some more photos when you commented, so I hope you come back and take another look.

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Oh, and that last seedling of Usabelle Rose is drool worthy I think! Glad I got back to see the rest, you did a good job!

celeste/NH thanked Nancy 6b
  • lilykate7a
    3 years ago

These are all wonderful! I know you were excited to see these bloom. Maybe your climate told them they had no time to lose in order to bloom! So many had good stats too-of course the purples are rich! Looking forward to more.

Kate

celeste/NH thanked lilykate7a
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

Celeste, you have some beautiful seedlings. You have every right to be proud of those seedlings. I really like the first and third ones. The orange ones are nice too. I love the the dark eyes on the oranges. Emerald Starburst x Rose Kennedy is really nice too. The last one has such an interesting shape. I could go on and on, but I'll quit. Nice work!

Nancy

celeste/NH thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Lovely seedlings all Celeste. I’m looking forward to seeing more. How many seedlings do you have?

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Nancy.....your input is important to me since I know you hybridize and I'm just starting out. I had a feeling you might like the orange ones:) Sherry, I have about 300 of the one year old seedlings, with about 650 from this year (which hopefully some will bloom next year). And I've set pods on some of my seedlings so I can continue the line on some of my better ones. If I had more room I would have even more since this is so addicting!

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I wanted to show what the first seedling looked like all through the summer. She was a stunner. The color changed from the red you see in the first photo to more of a dark pink when it got hot but it was still such a gorgeous contrast with that green eye. And the plus side is that she's pod & pollen fertile. I expect some pretty kids!

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

That first seedling, BENTLEY SAMUEL x RED RIVER DANCER #3, was my pick of the group. And I really like this one and the thin Air one, but know they would not be that color here in hot Alabama.

kay

celeste/NH thanked organic_kitten
  • Julia WV (6b)
    3 years ago

I like them all and congrats . It is a lot of hard work and it paid off for you. Your area looks so lush and green. Daylilies somehow always pull through in the toughest of conditions.

Julia

celeste/NH thanked Julia WV (6b)
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    3 years ago

I'm very impressed by all of them. Considering your drought conditions, you have produced some real beauties. I like orange better then purple, so I think your orange seedlings are nice, even for UF's. I'll be interested to see how they develop over the years. Good sunfast orange ones are not overly abundant...............Maryl

celeste/NH thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • shive
    3 years ago

I like that first one in both photos your posted. The Thin Air X Sparkling Giants also caught my eye. I hope that one's stats improve for you. A lot of your UF seedlings are attractive. It looks like you've had a great first year with your seedlings!

Debra

• shive
    3 years ago

I just looked at these again. The Tool Man Tim seedling has such gorgeous colors!

Debra

celeste/NH thanked shive
  • signet_gw(6b)
    3 years ago

i am finally starting to go through posts I have missed not being here everyday ( apologies to all ) . Celeste you have some spectacular seedlings here . How wonderful your gardens must be to wander through . Each one has it's own special appeal . You soon will be tossing all the registered daylilies in order to find room for your own beauties . They are all beauties in their own right but if forced to choose, I would have to say Emerald Starburst X Rose F. Kennedy #1 is one I would keep an eye on. I wonder how much or even if it is possible to breed that one into a solid green daylily . Congrats and it is so fun to share your joy even vicariously .

celeste/NH thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • celeste/NH
    Original Author
    3 years ago

THANK YOU ALL for your positive comments. I appreciate and am encouraged by your input. I do think I was lucky to get so many beauties my first time! To a new mom, her babies are always beautiful, right? Brad, I do have some left over seeds from crosses with Spirit of the Dove, kept cool in the fridge and I can send them if you want them. I didn't use her this year but the seeds should still be good (a few sprouted in the fridge recently). I had great success with the seeds and have dozens of robust seedlings from them growing well in my garden. You are welcome to them.

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

That would be great Celeste!

thanks

Brad