Software
Houzz Logo Print
laura_04

Need your help choosing a sofa and giving our living room a makeover

6 years ago

Our family spends most of our time together in this room. Desperately need a new sofa, preferably deep, durable, and cozy! Also looking for suggestions for chair(s), endtables, and window treatments. Only thing in this room that needs to stay is the rug, and I have original door/ sidelight off white lace panels. Sooo ready for a change. Thanks!

Comments (4)

  • 6 years ago

    Refinishing the floors to a lighter shade to contrast with the wood trim and rug would be a big change that would inform other choices. If the couch is covered to protect it - any new couch might require a covering as well. You can get new foam for the cushions if that is part of the reason for wanting another couch. Or if you plan to replace the couch see if taking off the blanket is a good change as far as style. You can save on replacing the furniture and put it toward the flooring which I think would make the most impact.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks! Definitely need to refinish the floors. I hope to end up with a natural toned finish.
    The sofa is broken in several places and needs to be in the dump like last year.

  • 6 years ago

    I was hoping for examples/ input on style, color etc... boxy? Rounded arms? Fabric pattern or no?

  • 6 years ago

    I think I would want a couch with low square arms that are equal to the height of new end tables. Low arms make it easier to stretch out on if used for napping and easier to reach drinks on an end table. I have a leather couch and a fabric covered love seat. The love seat is much more cozy, the leather is stiff. I got the leather because we could use it to take a break from working outside (dirt on clothes - mud on shoes). I would go with neutral colors and add texture and color with pillows, throws or fabric covered foot stool. Are you considering shades? I think Roman ones could look good. Also think about how many cushions for couch - one, two or three. I wish I had gone with two instead of three for the couch and one for the love seat. The plus side of more cushions is that you can move them around if one side of the couch is used more than the other. Also do you want to be able to remove the back cushions or do you want them attached. Do you want to be able to flip the cushions on the seat - I can do it with my fabric couch but not with the leather. Some stores have a basic model with customization - cushion firmness etc. Ethan Allen has some models you can customize. Also think about VOC's - Pottery Barn has certified furniture for those concerns.