Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trish_walter

Garage Storage? What have you done?

Trish Walter
3 years ago

we have moved in and didn't think about shelving etc. for the garage. LOL. So we have a blank slate. Ideas? Is there a website like for closet organizers that let you design etc.?

Thanks.

Trish

Comments (29)

• bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The Container Store has great garage storage with elfa, and you can design it on paper, online, or with a designer in-store and, I think, online. They always have a 30%-off sale starting in December till, I think Valentine’s Day. I have used elfa in two garages, as well as a dozen or more closets and a laundry room.

Trish Walter thanked bpath
  • Bruce in Northern Virginia
    3 years ago

If you don't have it installed yet, you probably don't really know what you need. I have had good results with installing a few cabinets and hangars where I was sure I would need them (my workbench and some cabinetes above it. etc.), and then using the ClosetMaid wire shelving system for the of the rest. My garage had about 10' ceilings because of a a step-down from the house, so I also ran a row of shelving up high around two sides and use it to store medium sized boxes (Christmas stuff, etc.). Its great for seldom-used items.

You just bolt in the long ClosetMaid supports along the top of the wall and then hang veritical standards down the walls at about 24" intervals. From there you can use 16" shelves, 12" shelves or any other type of hangar that fits into the vertical pieces. Container Store Elfa has a similar design and a lot bigger variety of things you can hang on it, but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Bruce

Trish Walter thanked Bruce in Northern Virginia
  • nhb22
    3 years ago

We put together some great storage shelves from Home Depot. Very easy, and fairly sturdy. We have several family members that use these.

• sprink1es
    3 years ago

Need dimensions or a floor plan view. Will you use your garage for any hobbies or is it strictly storage? What kinds of activities do you do - landscaping, gardening, sports, etc. Kids?

Cabinets always look nicer than shelving, but are more $. Shelving makes more sense to me for kids stuff, and dedicated matching totes helps clean up the look

• JJ
    3 years ago

Costco

• jkent9024
    3 years ago

We've used Garage Tek in our last 2 garages, and will again in our new build. You can put up whole wall panels or single tracks, and then customize with cabinets, shelves, sport racks, etc. (all able to rearrange at your whim). You can have a company come install, but my DH has purchased pieces over time and put them up himself and he's not particularly handy, bless his heart .😉

• shead
    3 years ago

Agree that a floor plan and layout would be helpful along with what exactly you need to store in the space.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

just wanted to know products etc. you guys use thanks.

• bpath
    3 years ago

I love elfa. Easy to install, easy to plan with, and they will plan and/or install for you. And they are always coming up with new products to add in.

• Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

ReStore is a great source for garage worthy cabinets. You can buy finished cabinets cheaper than buying materials to make them. Some of the kitchen cabinets are older sets from high quality makers and quite sturdy with adjustable shelves and lots of drawers. Old entertainment centers from the 80s and 90s are super cheap and some are multiple pieces. Look for the ones made of solid oak but be sure to have some helpers because those are heavy!

• strategery
    3 years ago

We did tool hangers for $65.

• fnmroberts
    3 years ago

We made custom shelving to accommodate our storage needs. Installed slatwall to hang tools. I like Elfa but for a closet, not garage.

• just_janni
    3 years ago

I did IKEA for Costco type storage - current cabinet for dog leashes, bags, flashlights, etc is 15+ years old and still like new. Larger floor mounted pantry storage (30x86 or so) are 10+years and swallow a TON of bulk TP! ;-). I would also think about commercial slat wall for shelving and hanging stuff like yard tools.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

In our garage i found three options the most useful...counter space...narrow shelving above ...deeper shelving below...and lastly a big shelf over the garage door ....for big lightweight items like outdoor cushions ...the counter space is the most useful as it can be left open for temporary use and project space..the narrow shelves for things you want to be easy to see and access.....and the deeper shelves for storage of boxes of thing only used seasonally ...above one counter on the wall ..pegboard for hanging tools..paintbrushes...etc....also any spot that will offer a few cabinets with doors...for things that you dont want to get dusty..

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I have a wood counter to one side (attached to the sheetrock), and a high shelf further down. I bought some peg boards which I really need to install this week or next.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

I believe peg board is great for smaller things so not a whole wall is necessary...as high as you an reach is good...but upper shelves are easier than hooks ... to access from a ladder

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Also sort of think shelves mounted on peg board can be sort of rickety?..choose carefully so brackets wont move ...or secure the shelves at the ends....

• einportlandor
    3 years ago

Did my tiny one car garage on the cheap. Found a sturdy old bookcase to hold hand tools, cleaning products, etc. Shoved a rustic potting table with a deep lower shelf against the end wall, and stacked an old wooden box in one corner on the top. All my gardening supplies (pots, soil, fertilizer, etc. live there. The walls are lined with various kinds of fasteners and hooks that hold gardening tools, mops, brooms, etc. It works pretty well and is kinda cute, too. If I had the money I'd go with one of those slick garage systems but I can't justify the cost.

• Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

I like the tap mount system from John Sterling. It is a wall mount rail which is very sturdy and then you can buy whatever hooks or other organizers you wish. It is one of the few systems I have seen where it is stout enough I don't worry about overloading it.

At my previous house, I mounted one of the racks in my back entry hall about 4 feet high and put on bicycle hooks for the school backpacks. Most wall hooks aren't strong enough to hang a 30 pound backpack but those didn't even wiggle.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Update we bought great heavy duty shelving from HomeDepot. Work Great. They were <$200 each. We bought 3. Car and boat fit no problem. Tight for Truck so not in yet [need to re-arrange this spring].

• nhb22
    3 years ago

Please share the product. ;-)

• gustaviatex
    3 years ago

I went all out with metal cabinets along one wall of my double garage. I use the tall units as pantries for kitchen cleaners, paper goods and seldom used appliances. There is peg board above the center work bench for small tools. I think I got them shipped from Wayfair; they had a large selection.

There is also a large shelf unit built at the back of the garage that holds paint and odd pieces of wood plus large labeled translucent bins for light bulbs, paint supplies, plumbing items. My yard cart, blower, hedger and such fit below.

There is also an old metal shelf unit for lawn and garden items. And I bought a plastic stand up rack for yard tools.

Most people use a variety of storage; old bookcases or cabinets plus shelves on brackets. Depends on what you want to store in the garage.

My latest addition is using interlocking 'anti-fatigue mats' in front of the washer/dryer and in an open clear area. They are inexpensive and finish off the floor nicely.

• Trish Walter
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@nhb22 they are Husky 4 tier heavy duty ... just check and HD doesn't have them currently..they hold quite a bit. We have 1 on the side next to the entry from outsider door and enter house door and then 1 on main back wall [2nd will go in when we re-organize]. Hubby also has a big tool chest that will go between them. We bought similar but less expensive for our basement storage area. These are much sturdier than those.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Those are great shelves. I got some from our local marketplace for our storage unit. I also hang things from the sides.

My favorite garage storage is peg hooks. as part of my elfa setup I have a rail with hooks and those rubber clamp things. But the moveable hooks are so multipurpose. Hang tools with a hole or loop on the hook, or prop things like brooms or shovels so that the working end is held by two hooks or pegs, while the handle hangs down.

• nhb22
    3 years ago

Trish Walter - Those do look sturdy! Ours are the ones made of hard plastic. Perhaps we should put them in the utility area in our basement, and pick up a couple like you have for the garage.

bpath - That's what I want to do in my laundry room closet. Could you share a photo of what the hooks look like?

• sprink1es
    3 years ago

I also have I think 4 sets of the Husky shelves in my garage and basement. I've tried tons of styles of shelves over the years. Hands down I'm only buying the Husky ones going forward, such a good value

• bpath
    3 years ago

nhb, I’ll have to screw up some courage to take a picture of my garage hooks. It’s a real-life not-safe-for-pinterest garage!

The Container Store website has so much. Here is a link to elfa hooks,and below is an example of a garage solution you can buy, but you can also design your own.