malcolm_manners

Gawie Fagan's Passing

malcolm_manners

Many of you who love roses will know Gwen Fagan, heritage roses expert and author of Roses at the Cape of Good Hope. Some of you may also know Gawie (Gabriel), her husband, one of the truly great architects of the last century. I'm sad to report that Gawie passed away this week. Please keep Gwen and the family in your thoughts and prayers, and those of you who know Gwen, if you would like to write to her, message me and I can give you postal and/or email address.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Thank you for this, Dr. Manners. I have her above mentioned book which is wonderful. I am so sorry to hear of her loss of her husband. I'll have to look him up now too.

• Rosefolly

I have a copy of Gwen Fagan's book, but I did not know about her husband.

I'm sorry for her loss.

• MasLovesRoses_z6a

So sorry for her loss. Praying for peace and comfort for her and her family.

• malcolm_manners

Gawie has been referred to as South Africa's "Frank Lloyd Wright." His designs are logical, practical, efficient, blending with the local environment (characteristics that might be questioned in the original F Ll W's buildings...), and simply supurb. The entrance to the Cape Point section of Table Mountain National Park is his (and the landscaping is Gwen's). He also did the addition to the hospital where Christian Barnard did the first heart transplant. They also refurbished the Cape Town "castle" (actually a fort), as well as the Waterfront clock tower. And their home, "Die Es," is somewhat famous in its own right. It sits on the lower slope of Table Mountain, over the Atlantic. Seaward-facing walls are almost entirely made of gigantic panes of glass. I have stayed there. The first time, I was to stay in the former room of one of their grown daughters, and she came to dinner that evening. She said I should be aware that the house will groan and move in the wind coming in from the sea, but not to worry; "Daddy built it well and it is not going anywhere!" She was right of course. Video of Die Es

• Rosefolly

I watched the video. I'm surprised at how much I liked the house. Not my usual style at all, but beautifully done.