Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jackjess2

Finishing kitchen dilemma

We did some upgrades on our kitchen a few years ago. Now we were planning to change out the counters and backsplash. We couldn’t decide between dark or light counters. We received many great ideas here, but our question is now, what if we kept the current counters and backsplash? The counters are not as blue as they appear on the island. Thank you!!

Comments (22)

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

What if you kept them? Then it would look the same as it does now. Not sure I understand the question!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Sammie J
  • PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was wondering if something would look better, or it is fine the way it is. The condition of the counters and backsplash are fine.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Angel 18432, what a great idea as the accent wall! I do like the color and I don’t want to lose it completely - that is a great compromise.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

you could try changing out he hardware (maybe some handles).

try painting the wall around the cabs a lighter color.

you could also just paint the island or do a butcher block countertop on it.

do you live in the south? you need all of those fans? I'd prob switch the one out over the island to a nice light fixture w/3-4 bulbs. (or invest in some recessed lighting or central air!)

or, if you like it, then keep it. completely up to you.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Beth H. :
  • Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Yes, that's what I meant about painting the kitchen white. Not the cupboards, but the colored walls.

• suzytx55
    3 years ago

First off, your cabinets and dining table are definitely a country/farmhouse vibe. I would go with that. Lighter walls and light or dark solid quartz for the counter tops. Not sure about the backsplash. Definitely change the lights.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked suzytx55
  • sandeeteedee
    3 years ago

Two simple things- paint the island a different color, maybe a rust orange to complement all the blue. And invest in under-cabinet lights, lots of them. For bigger things, replace fan/chandeliers with some simple drop pendant lamps- maybe wicker or globes- and put them on dimmers. For anything you display on your counters, go light- creamy white pitcher with yellow sunflowers or copper tray with bottles of oils and vinegars. Please, no more blue. For that farmhouse vibe maybe start collection of small rusty farm items- old wire baskets, tools and small equipment and hang them on a vacant wall as something interesting to see, fun to collect, and a future ahead of flea markets!.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked sandeeteedee
  • marycook123
    3 years ago

We used to have that table and chairs! Everything else was white. I would replace the countertops with something white.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked marycook123
  • Terrie B.
    3 years ago

I would spend the $ and upgrade the lighting to flush leds. Do you have air conditioning? if not add it. Fans blow too much dust etc to have in a kitchen.

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Terrie B.
  • Angel 18432
    3 years ago

I agree with Terrie. Lighting from fans always seems horrible. Have had a few and never turned on the light unless I was looking for a quarter ! LOL

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

sandeeteedee, I love the idea of white objects on the counters. The color is not blue although it appears that way in the photo. It’s more of a dark teal/ green.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We do have air conditioning, lol. DH just loves fans and air circulating. He turns them on, I turn them off, lol.

• User
    3 years ago

See if you can find some less bulky fans.

• oliveolivehouse
    3 years ago

Is the rustic vibe what you like most about the space? I think the floor is very light and smooth (modern) and so might benefit from a large textured rug, maybe jute. Then you might consider swapping out the stools. I love them as they are wonderful and comfortable, but they have an Asian vibe, not at all country. I like the idea of a warm white on the walls. Please reconsider the suggestion of the accent wall and keep it the same as the kitchen walls. Consider painting the brick in a slate blue instead. And get some textured throws in slate. You have three ceiling fans. I have one so you'll know I'm not against them. Three is too many and the antique one does not go with the other two. Would some copper be just too much, or could it fit maybe as backsplash? Best wishes!

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked oliveolivehouse
  • Margaret Bannerman
    3 years ago

I would change your counters to quartz that looks like marble, and use white subway tile...as they say, boring today, classic tomorrow. Then, I would paint your island a slightly darker shade of blue than your walls. Your home would feel open, interesting and updated.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would love to add a rug but I haven’t been able to get advice on not allowing the sunlight to bleach out the area around the rug leaving the area under the rug a different color. The rooms are drenched in morning sun with three windows, a double slider and two skylights.

Thank you for all the unique ideas!

• bubbysmom10
    3 years ago

How about changing just the backsplash ?

Elaine Gauthier Art thanked bubbysmom10
  • Angel 18432
    3 years ago

Oh how lovely to get all that sun. Wish I had that problem. But you could get some kind of blinds on the windows when the sun is blaring.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I were to change just the backsplash, what would it be?

I’m trying to find the wall color. It’s darker than the photos and more green than blue.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The walls are more like this color.

The counters are similar, maybe a hair lighter.

• debclarkson
    3 years ago

If sunlight is going to change color on parts of floor not under rugs you should be able to see a difference where the furniture has been blocking the sun for as long as it's been there.