Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gra8fulgal

Install method for 7" wide engineered wood flooring

gra8fulgal
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We have a new construction build with Advantech subfloors that are both mechanically and adhesive fastened to the joists over an insulated and conditioned crawl space. We will be DIY installing 7" wide, 9/16" 3-ply engineered T&G flooring (specifically Tesoro Woods Coastal Lowlands Chamois). I know with 7" wide plank boards, the recommendation is to do a glue-assist + nail down method. Going that way, we would not be able to put down an underlayment for vapor barrier/quietness. We could do a liquid underlayment, like Bona R540, but would lose any additional thickness and cushion for presumably quieter, more comfortable floors. Which would take precedence - having the glue assist for stability and less squeaking or having a cushioned underlayment (like Quietwalk, e.g.)?

Tesoro Woods install instructions say glue assist for wider than 7" but the norm I read here is that it should be done for anything over 5". Anyone with personal experience having chosen one route over another? Pros, what would you do?

Comments (16)

• gra8fulgal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The glue assist method when used along with nail down typically uses a serpentine bead on the boards or periodically spaced lines of troweled adhesive. So the entire floor does not receive the adhesive.

• gra8fulgal
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I haven't taken any moisture readings yet. We are just now at the stage of putting roof sheathing on, so it would be fruitless. I did not ask for responses about what to do in the case of moisture problems. Please don't siderail the thread or respond with snark.

I am doing research now, well ahead of time, to be able to formulate a solid plan. We would be following all the guidelines for acclimation, moisture readings and appropriate prep at the time of install. What I am looking for is what approach installer would take with AdvanTech subfloor, conditioned crawlspace and 7" wide boards.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sand the advantech with 40 grit to remove the factory coating. Adhesives will not have a strong bond to it. It needs to be remove. Apply a roll on like Bona R540, then use a nail-assist installation method. Which is full spread of mastic with nails/staples every 12-16". If, you use a silane base adhesive, the flooring will have a little cushion versus a polyurethane base adhesive.

A glue-assist on a 7" plank will allow the planks to rock side to side. the floor boards can still squeak.

gra8fulgal thanked G & S Floor Service
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

I would tend to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, especially if a warrantee is involved. If anybody offers up anything contrary to the manufacturer's recommendations, see what warrantee they offer.

gra8fulgal thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • shead
    3 years ago

“Which would take precedence - having the glue assist for stability and less squeaking or having a cushioned underlayment (like Quietwalk, e.g.)?“

Glue assist for stability would take precedence and is likely the manufacturer’s recommendation. We just had over 3000 sf of 7.5” engineered hardwood installed and it was glued and nailed over Advantech subfloor per every recommendation out there ;)

“Tesoro Woods install instructions say glue assist for wider than 7" but the norm I read here is that it should be done for anything over 5". Anyone with personal experience having chosen one route over another?”

Again, we used glue-assist. It might’ve been overkill but “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” in my book.

gra8fulgal thanked shead
  • PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    3 years ago

Glue assist is required. As is a dry crawlspace. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Buy a moisture meter. Now. Lots of moisture on a construction site. Everything wood hates too much moisture. Managing that moisture is critical in order to install trim, cabinets, or wood floors. The HVAC must be on for several weeks before any of that happens. Then testing starts. The crawl space being sealed happens before anything is installed too. Keep moisture out, and dry out the interior. Then you can install wood things.

gra8fulgal thanked ProSource Memphis
  • jysoccer
    2 years ago

@wjtnej how are the Tesoro floors working out for you?

• wjtnej
    2 years ago

@jysoccer We love them! They are in a master bedroom, so they’re not subjected to much of anything in the way of wear and tear, so I can’t speak to that, but they really look great.

• jysoccer
    2 years ago

@wjtnej That's great to hear. Did you glue/nail/float? If you have any pictures I'd love to see!

• wjtnej
    2 years ago

@jysoccer They did nails with glue assist. They didnt use an underlayment, which I was uneasy about at the time, but it’s been fine. Picture is before baseboards were done

• jysoccer
    2 years ago

@wjtnej beautiful thanks for sharing. May I ask what color? Looks great.

• jysoccer
    2 years ago

@gra8fulgal How do you like your Tesoro floors...do they seem durable?

• wjtnej
    2 years ago

@jysoccer Coastal Lowlands, Maple Chamois

• Kristina Longo
    last year

@gra8fulgal How do you like your floors? we are thinking of ordering the same one. Any pics?

• Kristina Longo
    last year

@jysoccer did you end up choosing these floors?