Software
Houzz Logo Print
ljes

Mid Century Fireplace/Built In Help!

5 years ago

Ok -- we have this massive brick fireplace that takes up like 60 percent of the wall - and a built in that takes up the rest....so, it's just a bit asymmetrical. We then have a giant beam that goes down the center of the room's ceiling - which doesn't line up with the fireplace - ARGHHH. So, we've replaced the carpet and tile with a walnut colored wood floor - to make it more mid century. And, we're looking at replacing the brass (added in the 80s) fireplace surround. But - the built in -- also added in the 80s is another challenge. Should we take out completely and replace with a mid century buffet? Should we just replace the doors? We'd like to have the option of a tv somewhere (likely on the wall where the top half of the built in is currently....) I'm thinking of going black steel with the new built in solution (working on black new railings....) Is that not right for the mid century look? Any and all advice so greatly appreciated!! photos of my space, and photo of the black steel idea attached!



Comments (38)

  • 5 years ago

    Oh that’s helpful!! I didn’t think of a mantle - maybe like the wood of the beam....that’s a great idea! Thank you....I kind of can’t see it anymore - it’s helpful for another vision!!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Agree with above comments to get fireplace inspected and cleaned. I would clean brick and stain it white. Remove upper doors from unit to right of fireplace and add white console bringing out to face edge of fireplace with Tv. Paint stair railing black and add long wood mantel across brick wall. Something along this line.

    ljes thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I think this is a heat-a-lator fireplace. So you will need fireplace expert to come in and assess it and see what can be done. As a min paint black vents white if you paint the brick or stain it. Just depends how sting you want to go in the MCM direction.

    ljes thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I great chandelier from beam would be wonderful addition.

    ljes thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Having trouble with Houzz posting right. But I had a long wood mantel in the mock up not the one that posted. Hope you can visualize that.

  • 5 years ago

    The built-ins would look better if the doors were a MCM style in a natural or stained wood, and with the see-through opening hidden/gone. A simple wood mantel to match the new built-in doors would be a great improvement. The mantel can be full-width or partial, but it needs to be perhaps 8” tall and protrude about 8” on a brick wall that large. Hang a piece of vertical art over the mantel and get rid of the brass insert. If possible, I would paint the four vents to match the brick. A fireplace equipment and accessory shop may have people who can install the mantel properly.

    ljes thanked felizlady
  • 5 years ago

    Seeing both options of leaving the brick or staining/painting it white, which do you prefer? The teal blue wall and MCM console that houssaon offered looks very striking. Adding a mantle, cleaning the vent area and changing the brass to black will upgrade the look while keeping the current brick. If you hate the brick, Flo gave you a good look.

    ljes thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    The problem you have with built-in is it appears to be set back in quite a bit further than the brick wall. First step is to get fireplace specialist to come in and inspect. When you have that much smoke residue you have a chimney that is not drawing properly. Don’t use it until you get a good knowledgeable person to look at it. Could be stuck damper/nest in chimney blocking air flow or the height of chimney isn’t right. Lots of ways you can update, but safety first. Chimney fires can be devastating. We don’t want that.

  • 5 years ago

    thank you all so so much!! I've called a fireplace inspector, now I just have to figure out how to wash that brick without making a giant mess of everything else! And these are all such great ideas. RedRyder - I love the look of washed brick fireplaces -- either white or even black -- but we have this brick throughout the house. So my husband is like noooooo....and i pretty much am too. Its lots of places. So I think we're committed to it.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    That's understandable. All the more important to really think through a mantel. I think a long one is the trick, but I have to play with some designs. Mani/Pedi first! I do have my priorities! lol

  • 5 years ago

    Ha!!! yes priorities!!! I so appreciate the advice -- whenever it comes -- we do have a mantle downstairs -- so I'm wondering if emulating that one is best.....thanks again!


  • 5 years ago

    weird -- not letting me upload image - i'll try again in a bit!


  • 5 years ago



  • 5 years ago

    this is mantle downstairs -- this floor has walnut now too....


  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I think I would stain with less yellow tones. More true walnut/ brown.

  • 5 years ago

    Flo, there are wood elements like that mantle nearby, which makes me think that’s why it was stained that color. It would still look better with a more brown (walnut-y) color as you suggested.
    Ijes: I get why you have to keep the brick. But you can do different designs in each room. I did like the dark wall houssan suggested for the other room. Flo will give you ideas as well.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    here are a few diff options you can utilize w/the brick fireplace. see if you like any of them



    obviously you'd remove the built in and do the bench, leaving the back open. or you could wall off that area.










    close off the other side, add two more beams, redo the fireplace completely



  • 5 years ago

    Oh my gosh you guys this is an absolute wealth of ideas!!!! Thank you so much!!!

  • 5 years ago

    Maybe your husband will see that you don’t HAVE TO keep both brick fireplaces the same .... why not do each of them in ways that complement the rooms they’re in?

  • 5 years ago

    Not one, but two gorgeous MCM fireplaces! I love that you and your husband respect the mid century aesthetic and aren’t planning on desecrating the brick. Congrats on a nifty house! I agree with removing the built ins and adding a MCM credenza, simple and sharp.

  • 5 years ago

    I just repainted my fireplace with Rustoleum high heat paint. Awesome to work with. I took most of it apart and did it outside. My husband did the ship lap!

  • 5 years ago

    My first 'like' was houssaon's, and I'll say why: no mantle created 2 simple, large geometrics. The black touches [3 I think] tied together. Wood console repeated wood in adjacent room.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Other fp could be covered with plaster or concrete, and still be great.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    WOW! What a cool house! Please post pics of your progress...and please don't paint any of the brick.




  • 5 years ago

    Please don't paint that handsome brick.

  • 5 years ago

    I too painted a brass fireplace surround black with Rustoleum paint (the one for hot surfaces). Turned out gorgeous. Worth a try to tide you over until do a more substantial redesign.

    ljes thanked Susan Murin
  • 5 years ago

    The mock-up of the recessed area painted black or very dark looks nice and is what I’d go for. Agree with other, don’t paint the brick. Couple things I’d add though. With the dark recess I’d go with simple light colored cabinetry without a ton of grain like birch or maple, which I think would go with your overall aesthetic. I’d also remove and replace that brass fireplace surround and go with something more simple and dark. I just did this myself and ordered from Cascade Coil. Went with a simple satin black top bar with a mesh curtain. If you look at pics of MCM fireplaces you see this over and over.

    ljes thanked Jesse Nicholson
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Here's an updated look with the existing railings. Floating cabinet...


    vs non-floating...


    vs no cabinet...


    ljes thanked er612
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    beautiful space!! I agree a chandelier coming down from the beam would be lovely!

    here are some great options

    https://www.douniahome.com/collections/chandeliers



    ljes thanked Dounia Home
  • 5 years ago

    thank you all!!! and i'm loving those cascade coil curtains (just figuring out now if it can stand our upstate new york winters or if i need doors....) but they are gorgeous!!!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    do you have pic of the whole room, the rest of the surrounding area? Wouldn't place the tv there either make built-in library shelf and take it the top or a bar area. Place the tv on fireplace and also I would shiplap both walls.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    A pro could install veneer or other surface to fill in wall space above your built in. Clean and neat.

    What depth is the white unit, and the fp?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Maybe get new flat doors for the built too.


    Retro Revival · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Or remove doors and draw attention to that area -

    Retro Revival · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Brick softer/lighter, so the wall would look all one color, but different textures.

    Rural Mid-Century Modern · More Info



    Rural Mid-Century Modern · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Add another stain [with brown stain] maybe greyish like this photo -

    Midcentury in Del Mar · More Info


  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Paint your beams white and add the herringbone pattern to the brick fireplace and offset wall and give it less of a dimension.