Software
Houzz Logo Print
anonforthis

Kolbe vs Marvin windows

5 years ago

Have a Marvin bid for the Elevate (Integrity) fiberglass/wood casement windows. Just started reading up on Kolbe as another potential window choice. Got the local Kolbe dealer to just compare one window size to get a feel for their pricing. It looks like we could save $500 per window. The Kolbe window quoted was the Forgent/Wood casement.


In reading the forum, many have been positive about Kolbe windows. Any recent comments about Marvin Elevate vs Kolbe Forgent? Would you still go with Marvin at the higher cost or is Kolbe just as good and I should save my money?

Comments (6)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Its difficult to compare these windows because they are not at all similar in construction.

    To summarize the difference I would say the Marvin Elevate is a wood window with a fiberglass cladding. The Kolbe is an all-fiberglass window with some interior wood trim added. I would expect it to be less expensive.


    ELEVATE


    .


    KOLBE with and without the interior wood trim



    anonforthis thanked res2architect
  • 5 years ago

    From what I know the Kolbe Forgent is a quality product. I have not personally done anything with this series but have told this by people I have known and trust for 20 plus years. I do know Kolbe and they are a quality company. That being said $500 per window cheaper is a huge amount of money and without knowing the size and type of window it is impossible to tell for sure but that spread seems way out of line and really may not even be possible..

    anonforthis thanked millworkman
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I'd get some additional quotes for Marvin Essential and Elevate. Here's some past discussion.

    anonforthis thanked dan1888
  • 5 years ago

    RES2, thank you for that cross-section detail. I've become an "expert" on engineered wood, roof materials, etc and just don't have the energy to do the same for windows! We'll probably just stick to Marvin. Our Marvin quote also included Ultimates on the front of the house (can't see the Ultimate and Elevate at the same time) and it was the same as the Andersen E-series quote, so going with Marvin seems like the easy choice. Getting additional Marvin quotes is a good idea, but not that many dealers and this one has a good reputation.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Why use the Ultimates on the front? The only difference I can think of when viewed from the street is the 1.5" deeper placement of the sash in the Ultimate that creates a stronger shadow line and more traditional appearance. But wouldn't you have in 2 different windows and hardware viewed from inside the front rooms? I don't know if the exterior appearance would be a major advantage since I never use casement windows.

    Have you looked at these windows in a showroom? Check out the scrolling screens.

    I would add a sub - sill to either of these windows.

    But I haven't seen what your house looks like.

    Look at the relationship of the nailing fin to the face of the sash in the details below and the thin sill nosing and the effectiveness of the drip.

    ELEVATE (sash in front of fin, missing drip)



    ULTIMATE (sash behind fin, thin sill nosing)