Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erica_travis73

Siding Color to coordinate with Red-Brown Roof

Erica Travis
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all,

We are looking to reside our c.1940s home soon and I am having such a difficult time trying to settle on a color that goes well with our reddish-brown roof (only replaced a year or two before we purchased the home so not going anywhere anytime soon). I keep coming back to shades of grey but can't tell if I'm completely off base--it's very possible I am totally overthinking things.

In any case, I've used the online visualizer tools and included some of the mock-ups below images of the house in its current buttery-cream color (in two different exposures to give the best sense of the roof color).

I'm totally open to advice/recommendations.

Thanks!

Erica

Comments (13)

• tfitz1006
    3 years ago

I'm not feeling the grey. I think you would be better in the beige/taupe family.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

How about cedar shakes? Natural wood might blend better than a solid plastic color.

• rrah
    3 years ago

I don't think gray is a good option. The only one you showed I would consider is the second to last option as it reads more brown (and purple) on my laptop.

What about a green like this spruce? The brown and green mimic the colors one finds in nature which is always a good way to go.

Erica Travis thanked rrah
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

I think white or light beige are your best options. Next time you need to re-stain the porch, use a deeper expresso brown so it's not so red. Landscaping will go a long way toward making the house more inviting, and the foliage will look good against the lighter house color.

Traditional Exterior · More Info

• Erica Travis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This was a green option we also liked. I’m so afraid white/beige will be boring but I guess landscaping would help with that too.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

A white House is classic, and the landscaping can transform the look by adding color, height, and textures.

Chester County Farmhouse · More Info

Front Entrance · More Info

2015 Parade House · More Info

• pricklypearcactus
    3 years ago

I don't think gray works well with that color of roof.

How about a dark blue (but not too gray of a blue)? Something closer to this first photo than the second in color. But I thought the second one was a good shot of a small house with a prominent brown roof and blue siding.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

A nice color for a red/brown roof is sage green. Look at colors similar to Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage...with white trim.

• PRO
    PPF.
    3 years ago

I'd save a bit more money and have the front half of the roof replaced to match your chosen siding color, and have the roof extended across the gable.

Consider removing the deck, or if you use it, move to the right side of the door so it's not blocking the larger window.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Sage green or dark blue would be my choices.

• Erica Travis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One thing that I should have mentioned is that the neighbor directly to our right has a dark sage house, so I'm trying not to make it look too cookie-cutter.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I like this blue.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner