jamie_z7bhz8

Veggie Tales - November 2020

Jamie

Happy Samhain! Happy All Saints Day!

It’s November already! We have gotten out with tee garden planted and will be finishing the protective coverings today. We did scale back a little this year and are only having 3 beds.

We expect our first killing frost of the Fall tonight and I am a little sad to see summer gone.

• Jamie

Thanks! I’m very pleased haha I’m also glad they got ripe before we have to move the tree into the garage for the winter

• RD Texas

The Brandy Boy was 13 ounces and I got a couple that are bigger, so still hoping for a one pounder.

Len NW 7a

Jamie, your Meyer lemons make me so jealous! Our little ML tree seems happy in her larger pot and has lots of very green lemons. At least she is not molting so far indoors this year.

• vgkg Z-7 Va

Well we finally got our first freezing temp last night, 29F, so that finished off the flowers, peppers, and tomatoes. I did pick the remaining 8 cabbages before nightfall since they had already reached their peak of hard headedness. Carrots, collards, turnips, spinach, and a little broccoli is what remains growing.

• cindy_z6b/7a VA

Love the Meyer lemons, too, Jamie.

It's cold here and tonight will be even colder. 26 degrees for the low overnight. There's a wind chill right now sitting at 35 degrees. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Jamie

That’s cold Cindy!! We have had lows around 34 the last two nights but it’s been sunny and warmer during the day.
    Len- your tree is much prettier than ours haha. It’s about to get a pruning and go into the garage under grow lights. We let it get a little gangly this past summer - any suggestions for pruning?

• Jamie

We still have some lantanas that are flowering and even a few zinnias. They are in the front yard near a lot of concrete and full western sun in the afternoon so that’s keeping them warm at night.

• wayne_5 zone 5b Central Indiana

I am fully done with the gardens now except for some straw on the strawberries a little later.

The beds are tilled and ridged where helpful for spring warmth and drying. The mulched leaves are spread. Only some cover crop tillage radishes are still green and growing.

Late planted Kennebec potatoes [August 1st] were excellent in size and productivity.

• RD Texas

the cherry tomatoes are Sun Gold, and Green Doctors-biggest ones are Jaune Flamme

Fall changing colors in Texas

• RD Texas

• RD Texas

• RD Texas

Cherokee Purple

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Richard - what's the variety on the 2nd plant pictured which has about 10 tomatoes all ripening? Such a great little clutch of 'maters.

• cindy_z6b/7a VA

Nice tomatoes, Richard!

On Monday, before our freeze, I picked all of the remaining green tomatoes. There were not that many and most of them were small. Just enough for a couple of meals of fried green tomatoes. I placed the bowl on the floor near the sliding door. Yesterday, I found a small tomato horn worm - climbing up the curtain!

Len NW 7a

Jamie my Camelia sasanqua is just starting to bloom. It has a lot of buds this year; espaliered on side wall of our entry under cover with pretty limited light but seems happy there.

What is with this potato? About 10% of my red potatoes are ugly like this one and the rest are fine...seemed to be that way right after we dug them.

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

Len, what kind of flower is that? Is it in bloom now?

The potato looks sad. I had some with hollow centers and some brown around the hollow. That could be cut out and the rest was okay. Looks like something else is going on with yours.

Wayne, it is good to hear an update on your garden. Doesn't it feel good to have everything wrapped up and ready for winter? I'm glad you got a good crop of late potatoes. Do they store longer than early ones? I put some in mid July, quite late for here. They did well, but I'm glad we did not get an early frost. They needed the extended season to size up. I'm hoping they will store longer than the ones I dug earlier. We will see....unless I eat them all quickly.

• RD Texas

Margi, that is a Polbig tomato plant-always a big producer-the tomatoes are not very big 2-5 ounces (most around 3) but every one I have grown had at least 20 or so tomatoes.

Cindy, I had a monster hornworm on my Green Doctors tomato plant. It ate the whole top of the plant and 5 tomatoes before I saw the damage. The plant was about 3 feet from my back door too and it still did that much damage. I moved the Chocolate Stripes plant right next to the door too, so I am going to have to watch it close.

• RD Texas

The big tomatoes are Brandy Boy and Brandywine Pink

Len NW 7a

Naturegirl I got back to that post with Camelia and potato and edited with explanations...I usually post photos from my phone then edit the text in on laptop but got interrupted and took a day to get back :)

• RD Texas

• RD Texas

I am going to have to say that Dester won this round

• Jamie

I liked Dester also, Richard. We had one plant this summer.

We squeezed the lemons today and got 2 quarts of juice. I also zested the peels and got a packed cup full of zest. We put it all into the freezer. I wanted to get as much as I could out of them haha

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

I liked Dester best the first year I tried it. But It's my opinion that the seeds I saved aren't quite as good. I need to get fresh seeds from the same source I got the originals to see if that improves what I grow.

Jamie - What do you do with 2 quarts of lemon juice??? I was wondering if I threw one lemon in with a bushel of apples when pressing them if that would keep the color from browning in the juice/cider? But I don't know if the press would let me. The press wasn't open this year and I haven't grafted the cider trees yet.

• cindy_z6b/7a VA

I also like Dester. It's a keeper!

Len NW 7a

Weather was mild and dry yesterday so I moves 100+ Mache volunteers from front garden to the Dahlia bed. They will be long gone before time to plant tubers and should be a great cover crop.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I got back from the lake yesterday morning. We got 3 deer between the 4 of us and took 2 of them in to be processed into summer sausage, jalapeno/cheddar meat sticks, and jerky. We grilled the fresh backstraps from the other one for dinner one night. We caught a few white bass and crappie off the dock too.

I finished processing the rest of my horseradish after I got home. I ended up getting 9 pints total which is about 4 times as much as we will use in a year so I will have plenty to share. I shed a lot of tears during the processing....it's some potent stuff.

I still have some clean up work to do in the garden and was hoping to get it all done this week while I'm off work but the weather isn't going to cooperate for the next couple days at least. Working in the garden during a cold rain doesn't really appeal to me.

• RD Texas

Congratulations on the successful hunt Jack. I always liked the spicy link sausage and jerky when I had it processed (rarely-I am usually the processor).

Winner: Cherokee Purple

Finally got a decent sized Black Beauty eggplant-so I am going to try to make Eggplant Parmesan tonight. All of the Brandy Boy tomatoes were between 11-14.5 ounces, so I still didn't get a one pound tomato.

• RD Texas

Winner: Brandywine Pink (the Black Krim was a little immature and green).

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)

Sigh... i just hate it when my posts vanish instead of posting. Perhaps it was the pictures. Grrr

Len NW 7a

Sorry Margi that is frustrating. It usually happens to me when I am posting on Android App and there are more than about 3 photos. It is drizzling here today so staying inside lusting over Richard's tomato crop. We have one lone Black Krim tomato left on vine in greenhouse...we can have that on Thursday and be thankful!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa

Jack - Very successful hunting trip. And you could maybe swap horseradish for lobster??

And Jamie I think I'd ferment some of that 2 quarts of lemon juice for mixing with drinks. It's a shame to mix an adult beverage and use ingredients that ain't fermented!!!

There's apparently a run on vitamins here. I said to DW maybe I could take a woman's vitamin. What's the worst that could happen. H A Ha.......

• cindy_z6b/7a VA

Len - Did I send you seeds for Greygo pepper? If so, how did it do for you? I did not have much luck with it.

Jack - Congrats of the deer hunting. How are you going to get more meat in your freezers?

Yesterday I planted more garlic and onions. Still want to get a few more in the ground and Friday is looking like a decent to to do that, weather wise.

Len NW 7a

Cindy the Greygo pepper plant did poorly in the hoop house (one pepper and would not set fruit when I bagged the buds) but I brought it along with 10 other peppers inside after preparing them for dormancy. When they came in they were just sticks with no more than one or two leaves.

Apparently I did not get it right because all but one sprouted new leaves and are flourishing except for an aphid problem. So I just decided to see how far they would go and taking cuttings to see if I can clone some of them..

Here is that Greygo

Peppers on top shelf

And Bottom Shelf

It is going to be tricky around here if they continue to thrive when we need the space and lights for next spring's starts!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Thanks all! Cindy - I only brought home about 15 lbs. of venison. When we get the sausage and jerky back that will only be about 15 lbs. more. I have plenty of room in the freezers for that much.

John - I WISH I could trade on HR for Lobster here.

• cindy_z6b/7a VA

I just heard an ad on the radio. The local Giant Grocery Store chain has turkeys for .39 cents a pound!! They are probably not ones that I would purchase due to antibiotics and hormones, but that price is unbelievable!!

• RD Texas
    yesterday

• RD Texas
    yesterday

Winner: Box Car Willie

• RD Texas
    yesterday

Pink Berkeley Tie Dye

Turnips

Artichoke

• RD Texas
    yesterday

• RD Texas
    yesterday

• Jamie
    yesterday

It’s early but, Happy Thanksgiving, all! We are staying here at home so it’s just the two of us. I’m cooking a “small” thanksgiving supper though. We did go see my parents this past weekend but didn’t want to be with the big crowd on Thursday.

• cindy_z6b/7a VA
    yesterday

And Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well, Jamie. And to everyone else here, too. Hoping that everyone is safe and well! Take care.

• RD Texas
    22 hours ago

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to ALL

• RD Texas
    20 hours ago

Does anyone know how to turn the Houzz notifications on? I accidentally hit the turn off notifications link when I was picking up my phone and now I can’t figure out how to turn it back on. I went through the settings and thought I enabled everything but still don’t receive any notifications.

• itsmce (zone 6b, Kansas)
    14 hours ago

Happy Thanksgiving!

Richard, I hope you can get the notifications back on. You’ll soon be swimming in tomatoes, it appears.

Len NW 7a
    12 hours ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I'm especially thankful for all of the help this group has given me!

• John D Zn6a PIT Pa
    10 hours ago

Hoping everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving . I've got lots of ripe tomatoes, more than ever, to celebrate a great gardening year. My mom who started this tradition in our family would be proud!

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    9 hours ago

Happy Thanksgiving back to all of you! No plans for a big traditional dinner here. I got a roasting chicken out of the freezer and will do it beer can style on the grill. Plan to make some twice baked potatoes and a bag of frozen corn from my brother's garden. I bought a fancy cheese cake a few days ago for dessert.

It is sunny for the first time in several days and 50ish right now. Heading out to do some work in the garden and yard to get it done before real winter sets in next week.

Gotta do something constructive so I don't have to watch the dud football games on today. :-p

• cindy_z6b/7a VA
    4 hours ago
    last modified: 4 hours ago

Jack - One of my FF players is on one of the "dud" football games today. I'm rooting for him!!

Decided to make a 'new to me' dessert today. If it turns out well, I'll post a photo later. It sounds delicious to me!!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fnk/recipes/cranberry-lemon-bars-8106360#reviewsTop

Len NW 7a
    3 hours ago

Those look tasty Cindy! It is only 4:20 here on west coast so the turkey is still in oven. DW has been making our own dog food so Rocky will get more than half of the 22# bird mixed with rice and pumpkin. It was 59 cents a pound, not 39 but still cheap protein for the poodle boy.