Software
Houzz Logo Print
bag692

Bed in front of window

5 years ago

Not quite sure how to handle the bed in front of the window. I know I should ditch the mini blinds but that window faces the street. I have been seeing pics where a curtain rod is placed up high and curtains added to disguise the window. What do you think?


Comments (38)

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks Jan. I will try to send pics tomorrow . I will try to send with the new bedding I purchased, Our bedroom is not very large and we have dark brown furniture so I am trying to lighten up. The lamps are a good idea :)

  • 5 years ago

    Did you notice the full height, full width curtains? That will give the “bed wall” some texture, and you can keep the blinds behind them for privacy.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Hi Barbara! We have a similar situation in our home where we love having the light come in (which makes all the difference!) but some of our windows look out onto our neighbors. So we installed simple vinyl roll down shades for evening - white in our case- and during the day, we pull up the shades and

    have spring rods across the top of the window frames and "crinkle" sheers, covering the windows. This brings in light and depth - you can look out your window again! But it obscures your interior from the outside. For us, it also obscures the stripy siding of our neighbors! We have white in some rooms and ivory or butterscotch in others, as shown in the picture. The picture shows the shades as well, which we actually pull all the way up during the day.

    I'm a little offbeat, but I myself don't mind, actually enjoy diagonally placed furniture. If you can joggle your pieces around so the bed comes from the corner, move the dresser a bit, that might partially resolve your issue. If not, the bed wall of curtains highlighting and broadening the window, mentioned above, seems like a great idea. It serves as a way to actually dress up the bed!


  • 5 years ago

    A solid valance as you have blocks a lot of light that could come in the top of the window. I'd ditch the valance and get the type of shade or blind that can come down from the top-- that way the lower half of the window is covered & gives you privacy, but the upper half can stay open to give you light during the day. (These top-down/bottom up shades are available at Lowes, Home Depot, 3-day blinds, and many more.) I like the idea of sheer full length curtains mentioned above, in a pale color or white. Window & door trim that's painted white (or a pale color) will lighten up the feeling of the room, while mid-tone and darker trim tends to make the room feel closed in and accentuates the small size of the openings. There's a fair amount of color & pattern in the room already, so I'd suggest going with pale colors, no heavy borders. Personally, I dislike sleeping in a bed that's against a window, since there's often a draft that makes my head cold. Shari's suggestion of moving furniture around is a good one-- maybe try moving the dresser on the left to an end wall or simply not centered on the left wall. That way, you might have enough space to turn the bed 90 degrees. Good luck-- please post more photos of all 4 walls of the room. Is this a guest room or one that's in regular use by a family member?

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, Barbara !! I'm guessing ( by your picture ) that the room is probably a 10 x 12 foot area.....first of all, IN MY OPINION, concentrate on Jan Moyer's SECOND picture.....look at it closely.....now, paint your walls a light beige color and the window trim a creamy white....THAT will do wonders immediately !! Next, embrace the fact that you don't want people looking into your bedroom from the street, and get a headboard like in the picture....hang draperies at ceiling height to each SIDE of your windows ( NOT covering ) and use sheers in the center like poster Shari suggested......this will give the room a more "elegant" feel but still give you privacy.....get matching nightstands with drawers ( as show in pic ) for more storage space but NOT in a "heavy" style or a dark wood....addition of the mirrors over each one with bedside lamps means the light from the lamps is reflected back into the room, so harsh overhead lighting ( which I think you have now ) is not needed......I would toss the bureau as it "crowds" the room and dark wood makes it visually even darker in there....purchase or make drawers with wheels to go under each side of the bed to store items normally in the dresser....( don't forget, nightstand drawers can be used to hold underwear, etc. normally in the bureau's drawers! ) If you find you absolutely NEED more "drawer space", I would suggest a "chest of drawers" ( instead of wide bureau ) that matches the nightstands ( light color ).....that would not look so "bulky" in the small room......good luck with redoing it all....keep us posted as to your progress !!

  • 5 years ago

    If you get rid if the bureau, you could also move to a queen or king bed.

  • 5 years ago

    What is needed in a bedroom?......quiet, privacy, and light control. The bed is currently against a window facing the street, so those three things must be considered. The blinds provide control of natural light and privacy. Heavier drapes will help minimize noise from the street. If this room is shared by two people, each should have a small night stand with at least one drawer. If someone likes to read in bed, a lamp would be useful.
    The bedspread appears to be pink and gold. It really limits your choices for a color palette. Look for a new bedspread with a bit more color or draperies with a pattern. I would paint the room in a soft light color found in the drapes or bedspread. The draperies should be at least as wide as the bed and have no valance. The bedspread and drapes should be compatible, one with a pattern and the other a solid color taken from the patterned item.
    Of course you need the bureau/dresser to store your clothing. You seem to have enough space for moving around in the room.

  • 5 years ago

    What are winters like where you live? If they are very cold, I would pick a padded headboard and to-the-floor curtains heavy enough to keep the cold and drafts away from your head.



    THINKPURE · More Info



    But if you live in a mild climate where you like to sleep with a window open, I suggest an open headboard and just go with an inset roller shade that blacks out light, rather than curtains, but you can add whatever decorative fabric window treatment you like.


    Bedroom 3 · More Info


    If your brown furniture isn't precious, consider painting it. But a color palette like this might work for your room without spending a lot on redecorating


    Guest bedroom Southern/ShabbyChic Charm · More Info



  • 5 years ago

    I love you all ideas about adding long drapes from top to floor over my small bedroom window . I do like having the air flow over my head all fall and winter mths. This woman always running hot . My side of the house is facing my neighbor side of house which there are no windows.

  • 5 years ago

    Suggestions already here to curtain the entire wall behind the bed- They should go to the ceiling and be fixed on both sides, perhaps only the ones covering the window need to be closed or leave them open and have a coordinating roman shade or lovely pull shade over the window. If you have to keep it covered, perhaps a wooden blind that you can angle up so no-one can see in but you get the light. I would use a heavy linen with perhaps a texture or very subtle design in a color to match the walls- keep it simple but always add at least a few extra panels so it looks 'richer'. A brighter color on the walls will perk it up too- go with a creamy off-white. Your bedside tables will go in front of the drapery but I would look for something in wood or wicker or metal instead of a skirted table. And lamps should be tall. Your room is narrow and you need to keep it spare and open. Get a duvet cover made in a linen a few shades different from walls and curtains, add color in a throw pillow or two and it will be lovely.

  • 5 years ago

    I totally agree with Top-down blinds. We had a window that faced the street, and with Top-down blinds we could retain our privacy but still let in natural light.

  • 5 years ago

    Go outside and see what that window looks like from the street. What do you see when you look at that window? There is a home in our neighborhood with similar bed positioning and the back of the headboard is frame and slats. Really unattractive. If you are placing your headboard in front of a window, at the very least, use a tension rod with a sheer what goes up to the top of the headboard. You won’t lose light and you’ll gain a more attractive view from the stree and a certain amount of privacy.

  • 5 years ago

    Good point above about the view from the street. Top-down blinds would hide the view from the street of your headboard if it's placed up against the window. Also be aware that top-down blinds or shades are available for bedrooms in room-darkening material-- so you can have light from above when needed, but complete darkness for sleeping when needed. And that avoids having many heavy layers of curtains at a window.

  • 5 years ago

    Can you put the bed on another wall? What else is going on in the room?

  • 5 years ago

    To open up the room I would remove the dresser, and as in Jan Moyer’s second photo get 2 low dressers to serve as nightstands for your clothes instead. My bed is positioned under a window also. I have ceiling to floor drapes with sheers behind them. I like how it works for me. Right now I don’t have a headboard, but I plan to get an open metal one so it does not block any of the light coming in during the day.

  • 5 years ago

    Change curtains: one set full / floor length, the other window length. Floor length outside, extend 6" on each side beyond bed. small rectangle table by the window to give space between the bed and the head broad, (this will allow you to open curtains. Add sheers behind when curtains fir privacy. 👍🏽

  • 5 years ago

    Put the bed where the dresser is and put the dresser under the window. If they'll fit that way.

  • 5 years ago

    I noticed you said you have dark furniture. You could paint your furniture a lighter color.

  • 5 years ago

    2nd picture Ital Mover posted!

  • 5 years ago

    Barbara G. - Are you still there?

  • 5 years ago

    Top down blinds would be perfect, lose the top heavy fringe curtain and replace it with some light curtains on a pole .

  • 5 years ago

    Hi ..I like all of your ideas.. painted the room sw comfort gray and painted the baseboards white..found some pics from hobby lobby..undecided what color curtains, rug, throw..if I decide on white curtains feel room will look too sterile...going to purchase satin nickel curtain rods..any suggestions would be most appreciated:)

  • 5 years ago

    I love the wall colors and linen. Can suggest a bed skirt to finish the bed look and new ceiling light fixture.

  • 5 years ago

    hi..sorry. I have the bed skirt..forgot to put on..any suggestions for ceiling fixture..we are going to finish removing the rest of the white fan..any suggestions for a light fixture or throw and curtain color?

  • 5 years ago

    I don’t like curtains myself maybe someone else can chime in on that suggestion. Lights fixture depend on if you want something close to ceiling, or semi flush based off the height of your ceiling. Lot of options .

  • 5 years ago

    hi..probably either one..this is a 50s ranch with a little over 7 ft ceilings..

  • 5 years ago

    I would make it a priority to put the headboard on the non-window wall. If you give us pictures of all the walls and furniture pieces, we can help rearrange. The room dimensions would help too. Looks like you have more than one dresser? I wonder if you have room to arrange your furniture like this. You'll need enough space at the blue arrow to move comfortably and open the drawers, although you could move the dresser to the right.

  • 5 years ago

    here's some pics

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    To enrich the pretty green of the walls I like the blue flower in your art print and the pink one too. Iwould put this bench or something similar at the foot of the bed


    Madison Park Welburn Accent Bench With Blue Finish MP105-1049 · More Info



    Modern Accent Chair Bench, Velvet Fabric Copper Nail Rivet, Blue · More Info



    and faux silk curtains in a similar blue.


    Robin's Egg Blackout Faux Silk Taffeta Curtain Single Panel · More Info


    I’d add a throw in shade of pink in the art print for the bench


    Tilda Throw Blanket, Blush/Metallic - Gold · More Info


    and have one or 2 small pillows on the bed to pick up those shades of blue and pink

    Cheap lamp suggestion!


    Lumisource Doe Li Touch Lamp, Brushed Satin Finish · More Info


    Cheap chande suggestion n!


    Elk Home Assent 6 Light Chandelier, New Aged Brass, Clear, D3863 · More Info

    !!!!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I forgot to add this pillow for your bed 😉


    Vintage Lamb Burlap Pillow, 12"x16" · More Info

    And maybe if my chandelier suggestion is over the top, this is simpler


    Semi-Flush With 2 Bulbs In Brushed Nickel, 16" Vanilla Leaf Glass · More Info



    .

  • 5 years ago

    as a final touch, I would suggest replacing the lace on top of the large dark dresser with a long runner that hangs down over both sides of the dresser, to break up the mass.


    Depending of your final choices elsewhere, you could pick up some complimentary colors



    Pomeroy Carril 14X96 Runner, Light Blue · More Info


    this runner comes in 40 different colors so you can have something totally neutral or a suprising contrast

    LA Linen Polyester Poplin Table Runner 14"x108", Khaki · More Info


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Because you painted the walls a color other than white I think white curtains would be okay. Put them up close to the ceiling to make the ceiling look higher. Make sure you have plenty of lighting in the room to bounce light around and put up a nice big mirror. The more light that bounces around the room the larger the room will feel.

  • 5 years ago

    For a chandelier I would suggest Kira Home, 16 inch Delilah Crystal Chandelier with beveled glass. I bought this from Houzz to reflect light around a small bedroom I have. If you don't like this maybe you can find something similar you do like. There are so many nice ones on Houzz.

  • 5 years ago

    I would suggest a chandelier that has a shine to it. This would draw the eye up and make the ceilings seem higher.

  • 5 years ago

    Ouch! Baseboards and window/door trim should match.

  • 5 years ago

    working on painting trim.. holding off on painting windows and trim till spring.. too cold out here

  • 5 years ago

    Is that the only window? What is the size or the room? Is there a heat register on the floor?....where? More info will get more useful suggestions? Budget?