Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_552659081

Loft studio apartment layout help?

Nick Barfield
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello, I'm Nick in Shreveport, La. I'm frozen by options when it comes to laying out my studio apartment. It's a loft style with 16-foot ceilings. Any input/encouragement is appreciated, I don't consider myself the aesthetic type. Thanks everyone!

*I have about $4,000 total to work with

*I have no interest in getting a tv

*I won't be having company over

*Necessities include a desk and a minimal daybed/sofa for napping-here's an example of the daybed in mind

Descriptions and photos:

1. Floor plan from apartment's listing (doesn't include the two cement wall details pictured in photos 4 and 5)

2a. View upon entry (boxes to simulate room dividing furniture/bookcase. I think that I want to have a Kallax style open back bookcase closest to the area rug, but unsure of desired height. I stacked boxes higher in photo 7 for an idea)

2b. I wanted to show the space for maybe a little bench upon walking in (where my supplies are on the floor) and my vacuum will probably end up mounted on a wall somewhere)

3. Not sure how but I definitely want to block the view of my fridge from this angle. Maybe the boxes are a medium height piece of furniture with plants on top to block fridge view? Or taller piece next to fridge altogether?

4. Cement detail that I mentioned earlier.

5. And the other cement detail that's in the corner. May put a room divider screen around my prayer kneeler in this corner?

6. My unframed (at the moment) queen bed on the 8x10 rug that took 2 weeks decide upon

7. And here's the taller bookcase etc divider simulation that would be wider than this for sure. I like the idea of a shorter divider with stuff on top but I also like the idea of a taller and more dramatic divider too.

All opinions welcomed and appreciated!

Nick

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Hi nick. what's your style?

btw, I don't think you need a daybed for napping when you bed is 5 steps away!

Do you want a single sofa? one w/a chaise? chairs, lamps, etc?

ignore the tv here. in it's place you could do a desk area

you could do something like this 'Multi-wall" to separate the bed area

another option is this cube divider w/baskets. You'll get extra storage w/this too.

look at Ikea Hacks for book cases and such. if this is facing your bed side, you'll get storage options on the shelves.

another idea. these could be a diy thing w/wood .

Nick Barfield thanked Beth H. :
  • decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Are you DIY handy? This is done with inexpensive lathe that's been whitewashed. Or you could stain it will a gel stain you wipe on and off. You could devise several of these 'walls' for your purposes.

Studio · More Info

Studio: Bedroom · More Info

Nick Barfield thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Nick Barfield
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Beth. Wow thanks for so much feedback. According to the HGTV survey I just took my style is Traditional. Okay you have a point on the daybed! I’m rethinking my sofa options since I’m now considering putting the sofa on the rug near the window.
    I like the cube divider next to the rug, but I’m stumped whether white or black would suit the spot better

• Nick Barfield
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow thanks

• Nick Barfield
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Elaine, you actually relieved me by suggesting that the bed would be better off in the middle. I guess I was just leaning on the ‘rule’ that I kept reading that says for studio apartment layouts to hide the bed. As far as the divider goes, would you feel the same way if it was an open bookcase that would let some light through? Or would you go shorter with the divider regardless?

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Take any idea from it -- I think it's wallpaper, but could be stenciled.

SoMa Surfer Loft · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

It popped onto my search - might look nice for a dressed up look, if you'll have items that blend in... make it worth the high cost.

Ulinkly New Release 11, 100"x100" · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Forgot about your rug - should curtains not be so dressy.

Neutral with bit of metallic- other colors...

La Rosa Metallic Semi Sheer Rod Pocket Curtain 52''X120'' Single Panel Dark Gray · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

They sell lighter colors.

Funny that what's been posted includes oak-type furniture. Amber -gold curtains, maybe amber glass vase could be similar accenting tone as new wood items.

Add tan leather pillow or ottman in similar color..... etc.

Faux Linen Extra Wide Room Darkening Curtain Single Panel, Dandelion Gold, 100"x96" · More Info

• Nick Barfield
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everdebz, I had been neglecting my curtain search since I mindlessly mounted 4 brackets instead of 3 then realized that I could only hang 3 curtain panels unless I fixed the bracket situation. You have me thinking about it again, thank you!

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

I would go shorter with the divider.

Nick Barfield thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • Maureen
    3 years ago

You mentioned that you won’t be having guests, so I would skip dividers and make the best use of the space.

Just create visually designated areas and let the windows be your main feature and all else coordinated around them, like below. You might need some adjustments, but ”zones” will define the individual spaces without sacrificing light/sq footage.