tinam1962

Does your area still have restrictions?

Tina Marie

Here in my area we do still have a mask mandate. In one of the big cities near me, they still have a bar curfew. Sadly, some businesses are not adhering to the 11:00 pm deadline and there has been discussion of pulling liquor licenses of restaurants/bars who do not comply. I think there is still a limit on group gatherings but not sure. In the last week i have heard various talk of new restrictions being imposed. I think with so many not following good practices, I am in favor of this. I hate for small businesses to be affected, but quite frankly, I would not be against restaurants closed to inside service, closing of gyms, etc. Not a shut-down, but some of these places definitely need to be scaled back. I've notice a few churches going back to on-line only services and there is much talk about schools going completely virtual after Thanksgiving.

How is it in your area?

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!

We have old restrictions, and new ones go into force today. Masks, curfews, limited number of people in stores, etc. SF Peninsula for me.

Tina Marie thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 2katz4me

We've had the mask requirement in MN for a long time. As of 11/20 we have newly invoked restrictions for four weeks - no indoor restaurant or bar service, gyms closed again, no adult or youth sports, no social gatherings related to weddings & funerals - you can have the service but no reception or other such gathering, no socializing in your home with anyone outside your household. I'm sure plenty of people will ignore the last one. It will be interesting to see, in a few weeks, how these changes impact the skyrocketing infection rates. Somehow I think people's Thanksgiving activities may offset the benefits.

Tina Marie thanked 2katz4me

Does the dining area HAVE to be adjacent to the kitchen?

I think if that's what you want, then there is nothing wrong with it. The only downside I see is the distance to carry food, place settings, etc. to/from the dining room & kitchen.

Does your bathroom have a washer & dryer

I once had a stackable washer dryer unit in a summer home bathroom. Interstingly, I am in the process of buying another summer home and that one has the same unit in the bathroom. I guess my experience is having it at a summer home is useful. I wouldn't put the w/d in the master of a primary home. I would have access from the other side (probably a hallway) so anyone could use it. Possibly adding a little extra space from the large shower you are proposing. One item to keep in mind is that the very large walk in showers are great, but if too large they can be cold.

Do you still have actual phones (not cells) in your house? How many?

Landline here. As I told the cable guy trying to push me into a cable phone I want to be able to call and tell them the internet and cable tv are down... Tried a cell phone "house phone" took them 2 WEEKS to turn it on and even then it never worked right and then of course they don't want the equipment back so you are stuck paying for something you never use... For the landline we have a portable with 3 head sets plus base AND old reliable black phone. As mentioned when cells and cable fail those plug in the wall phones still work.

POLL: Does your yard have a sandbox?

Get a DOG! no cats in the yard. We also throw a tarp over the sandbox when not in use. Every kid should have a sand box. Every kid should learn about good hygiene and any kid who is too young too know should be supervised by an adult. We have a sand box for our grandsons and nieces and nephews - they all love it! AND, we allow our dog to dig in it too - keeps my flower beds free of digging. No kid has gotten ill in our yard yet! We have bug houses for all the bugs they capture around the yard! I vote YES!
  • daisychain01

LIke 2katz4me, we've had mask restrictions for awhile and some limits. We have just had very strict limits imposed. Even big box stores are now restricted to only selling necessities. I hope this works. I'm deemed an essential worker and I no longer feel safe going to work.

Tina Marie thanked daisychain01
  • Lukki Irish

Governor Whitmer has been adjusting the limitations county by county according to the spread and did a fantastic job getting the numbers down. I know there were changes recently, but I don’t keep up because there’s really nothing else I can do. As it is, I don’t shop, my job is essential, I don’t go to gatherings, I wear a mask and I socially distance when I’m out..

What I find to be unfortunate is the GOP lead Senate took issue with the mask mandate and closures, sued Gov. Whitmer in court and the (Republican placed) judge put limits on what she can now do. It’s upsetting because Michigan was a hot spot and her mandates saved lives. The good news is, most of those same mandates can be issued by the State Health Dept and there’s nothing legislatively the GOP can do about it. She’s been working with them all along, so they issue the mandates as needed instead. What a sorry mess!!!

eta: Was that TMI? LOL

• Tina Marie

Daisy, bless your heart!!

• bpath

Mask mandate since late March or early April (it’s been so long, and our communities started mandating before the state did). We just now went to stricter restructions. State: No indoor dining at all. All restaurants and bars (serving outside) close by, I think, 11 pm. Most stores at 25% capacity, grocery stores 50%, big box stores that also have groceries in them, like Target and WalMart, are 25% capacity. School winter sports on hold (yeah, we‘ll see how well that goes over). Our local schools that were hybrid, or had options, just went virtual again. Private/parochial schools make their own choices.

It‘s not as strict as in the spring, but a very clear “if you can stay in, stay in. If you can work from home, order from home, etc, do.“ Stores can be open, but just fewer people inside. My salon can stay open; they told me that very cases are traced to salons. But they are still operating at lower capacity, and very spread out. Many places do temperature checks as you enter and have hand sanitizer stations and wipes for when you come in or leave. 6’ marks on the floor. Etc.

Tina Marie thanked bpath
  • pudgeder

Not enough in Oklahoma. Our gu'ner just last week has made a requirement to close bars & restaurants at 11 PM, and in restaurants they must be seated 6' apart. Masks were "encouraged." Well DUH.

Oklahoma City & Tulsa have a mask mandates. A few of the suburban areas do as well.

Yesterday I had to go INTO Walmart to pick up something, they have put up a divider between the entrances & exits, and have someone "counting" people as they come in. But there were a LOT of people inside. And from what I saw all the adults were wearing masks and distancing. That's the 1st time I've been inside a store in weeks.

Same as Bpath for salons.

Our ICU's are at capacity, the hospitals are feeling the strain. Our numbers are way up. Schools are going back to all virtual -- at least through the end of November, and many for the semester. It's disheartening.

Oklahoma is NOT as strict as it should be. And I blame it all on our g'vner. He's had covid.... you'd think he'd be more concerned.

Tina Marie thanked pudgeder
  • pricklypearcactus

I am also confused by the bar curfews. Our biggest city enacted a 10pm bar curfew as well. Admittedly I have no interest in going into a bar anytime soon so maybe there's something I'm just not understanding.

Tina Marie thanked pricklypearcactus
  • terezosa / terriks

I guess that the idea is that as the night goes on, and people drink more they become less cautious about social distancing.

It seems more likely that people will just start drinking earlier.

• 4kids4us

We’ve had mask restrictions since Easter in April. Certain things had loosened up over the summer, but with huge surges everywhere, our governor moved us back to Stage 2 restrictions (not tight enough IMO) and my county exec implemented even tighter restrictions. None has really changed my daily life since we have not been socializing, not eating out (we do carryout), not traveling anywhere, etc. The only real difference is that my kids are actually still in school (hybrid). Private schools here are open w/restrictions tho public schools have been remote since last spring. My county exec is pressuring even private schools to go remote again, but until the governor mandates it, I don’t think the private schools will close since none have had any COVID spread since being open. I am, however, choosing to keep my kids home after this week, until at least Christmas break is over (because they are hybrid, that translates to only 6 in person days where they will now be remote).

Tina Marie thanked 4kids4us
  • Gooster

We progressed backward but things are not as tight as in the spring. Indoor dining and bars are closed, but salons are permitted at 25% capacity. The big issue has remained social gatherings. I was on a work call with 25 people this week and about 7 of them were in voluntary quarantine, awaiting test results or had just been released. It is much more noticeable than in the spring, with more diagnoses and exposure incidents.

Tina Marie thanked Gooster
  • Re Tired

WA state has been wearing masks for a long time. Now no indoor dining or bars, no outdoor gatherings of more than 5 outside your household, no gyms, 25% capacity in all stores, no indoor gathering with people outside your household unless you quarantine, quarantine for visitors from other states. I'm happy to oblige. The trouble is that there's really no way to enforce some of these restrictions. Hopefully it at least wakes some people up, and they at least limit themselves somewhat.

Tina Marie thanked Re Tired
  • bpath

When stores were closed, they were still trying to do curbside pickup. It worked for some, not for others, which is very sad. But when they reopened, many people continued to do curbside or indoor pickup of orders, and that is still going on. In many stores, even shops, you’ll see a shelf or area of packages labeled for pickup. The only thing is, a lot of sales are impulse buys, point-of-sale purchases, and the like. Those have dropped off dramatically, I’m sure. Even if I order in advance, I like to pick up inside, just because it’s so nice to see a friendly set of eyes above the mask! But I’m not spending as much time looking around, like I did when they were ringing up my order.

Tina Marie thanked bpath
  • cmm1964

Florida here. Not too many restrictions. Gyms, bars and restaurants are open mostly at full capacity. Most people in my area wear mask as the store mandates. But for outside public areas not very much mask wearing. I don’t think our area is faring any better or worse than any other area. I live in a very touristy area and people are still coming here from everywhere else in droves.

Tina Marie thanked cmm1964
  • nekotish

Here in British Columbia, we just got a talking to by our provicial health officer and stricter rules were bestowed. Immediate family + 2 people who don't reside with you and live alone but that you have been seeing regularly are allowed in your home. No going to restaurants with anyone other than your immediate +2, No wedding or funeral of more than 10 people. No receptions, no religious services, no outdoor gathering. Gym, yoga classes, spin classes, etc. cancelled. Masks mandatory in all public places, retail stores and shared work areas. All businesses and worksites must have daily screening of employees in place. No non-essential travel outside your region of the province.

Tina Marie thanked nekotish
  • lonestar123

We have no restrictions and I live in fear. Our hospitals are full, cases going up daily

Tina Marie thanked lonestar123
  • OutsidePlaying

We still have a mask mandate. However it doesn’t apply outdoors and many take them off as soon as they are headed out the door of a business, even if they are passing someone entering. Ridiculous.

Gyms, restaurants, bars are open with reduced seating in restaurants. Many churches hold services, although the churches have different philosophies it seems. Some are still doing online and some are full service and a lot are holding limited attendance services. We are not attending. The numbers of cases have gone up.

I go to a small Pilates class once a week. It’s the instructor plus the same 3 people and we are spaced out. We don’t go to our old gym.

Tina Marie thanked OutsidePlaying
  • terezosa / terriks

I have to say that I don't really understand the "still" in the thread title. If anything, with cases soaring out of control we need much stricter restrictions now than in April!

• Tina Marie

Terri, II said “still” because many states/counties, etc. have eased up on restrictions. I was just wondering what is going on in my GW friends areas. Of course I do not agree with restrictions lightened unless rates go down. Sorry if it sounded otherwise; I thought my view had been made clear in various threads.

• Lars

We have a 10 pm to (I think) 5 am curfew, but I don't go out at those times anyway.

I've not paid much attention to restrictions because I restrict myself more rigorously anyway and am extremely careful.

I had a couple of doctor's appointments this week, plus I had to take my brother for his colonoscopy on Monday, and I had to wait in the car while that was being done, as the office did not allow visitors. I was happy with that, especially since there was a restroom in the parking garage next to where I had parked. I was not happy that the parking garage in Beverly Hills charged $20. I generally pay $15 for parking garages in Santa Monica for my own doctors' appointments, and when I see my primary physician in Pacific Palisades, I park in front of a park with an arroyo where it is free.

Tina Marie thanked Lars
  • robo (z6a)

We have been living in a covid free bubble with very few restrictions aside from a mask mandate. the second wave is starting here now linked to bars and additional restrictions have been added. Household plus five and only five for social gatherings outside the house. They busted a 60 person party Friday and the party giver was fined.

They just set up a rapid testing station in the middle of the bar district. I think it’s an excellent idea. One rapid test and one regular swab for everyone. Totally free and our swab results are about 24h.

Tina Marie thanked robo (z6a)
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

New Mexico is supposedly in the midst of a 2-week re-set with lockdown. Restaurants and retail are curbside only with the exception of grocery stores, hardware and automotive. The one difference this time around is that for the open stores, they are limited to 25% capacity or 75 people, whichever is fewer. This makes for long lines outside the store but much less crowding in the store. I question the effectiveness this time around though. The earlier lockdown resulted in much less traffic. Right now, DH's commute has not changed at all (he's in the office, most of his staff is remote). Supposedly after the 2 weeks we will be switching to a model where restrictions are on a county by county basis. For my small town, that will be tricky as 3 different counties meet here. We also probably need a 3-4 week reset instead of 2 weeks. Mask mandates continue to be in place. I am not sure how effective some of the lockdowns are since there is little enforcement. Earlier, the goal was for education over ticketing and some agencies say they will not enforce the governor's order. At some point there needs to be consequences for disobeying. The only real inconvenience I had run into with the most recent lockdown was the chanes in hours that I was not aware of. I thought I would get to the grocery store early on Friday, to find out that they expanded senior hours to MWF, 6-8 a.m. so I waited in my car for a while. Our Costco is only allowin one shopper per card which I generally think is great except for those parents who cannot leave their children at home. If you need 10 items or less, you still have to wait in line, but they will pull the items for you and have them waiting at the register. I do wish the smaller businesses could be open at 25% capacity but numbers are definitely spiking. I really wish that things had moved along and there was more support (grants, etc.) for the small businesses that are closed again. Also wished that in all this time we could have had more testing sites ramped up for when this surge happened.

Tina Marie thanked tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
  • cooper8828

I'm also in New Mexico. Our Albertson's and Sam's Club got closed for two weeks due to too many Covid cases among employees. Panic buying then ensued in earnest and there are long lines to get in anywhere else. I checked the watchlist and made a Target curbside pickup; they only have one more "hit" before they are also closed.

Tina Marie thanked cooper8828
  • deegw

We just went to code red in the Denver area. No more indoor dining, public schools on remote. Toilet paper in stores is flying off the shelves. Testing centers are running out of tests. Purple is the next level and the most restrictive.

I work in a school enrichment program that we modified for covid. We now do an in-school program that helps elementary kids with remote classes while their parents are working. So we basically tutor and provide child care in an empty school.

My boss texted me yesterday to see if I wanted to work MORE hours. I haven't answered yet. Sigh.

And I just received an emergency covid alert on my phone.

Tina Marie thanked deegw
  • maddielee

I understand the “still” in the title. My state doesn’t have many restrictions currently. They did for a short time early on.

Each county does its own thing. Yes, the numbers of cases are rising, and yes so are the death rates. And yes the snowbirds are arriving.

Tina Marie thanked maddielee
  • Tina Marie

Thanks Maddielee. Exactly what I meant. ie, Lonestar mentioned above they have NO restrictions. I. can't. even.

• 2katz4me

I just got home from the grocery store which is in a strip mall. You'd never know there was a pandemic or any restrictions. The parking lot for the entire place was completely full and there were no available carts in the grocery store. I found one, got my stuff and got the he!! out of there as fast as I could. Fortunately I didn't need much and managed to keep my distance from all the other shoppers. I expect this to be my last outing until after TG and then as little as possible until after Christmas. I like to do my own grocery shopping but other stuff like cat food can be curbside pickup and I'm done with all medical appts for a while so I should be able to pretty much hunker down for the long, cold, dark winter. Ugghh....at least this year I feel optimistic that by spring we'll see signs of hope which certainly wasn't the case last year.

• Anne

Our restrictions never stopped, yet we have a surge in the DMV. It is real,I work in a COVID adjacent field

• Anne

2katz , I like to pick my own stuff but curbside and farmers market bundle until....

• lonestar123

We have had 175 deaths in the last 5 days and still no restrictions or most people wearing masks.

• Tina Marie

I fought curbside shopping for weeks, months! I finally tried it and did it again Saturday for our Thanksgiving shopping. I've only done it twice, but both times have been great! Items are packaged appropriately together, great job on picking produce, etc. I do have a produce market near me that will be open probably till Christmas, so I can still pick up fruit/veggies there. It is small and people will be masked, etc. We also have a drugstore that recently put in a small grocery area (partnered with a local grocery). I haven't tried it yet, but know we can get bread, milk, etc. there so I'm thinking of spreading my weekly grocery order out - two weeks instead.

• just_terrilynn

My county in Florida doesn’t have a lot of anything as far as restrictions. Pretty much the motto is “personal responsibility”. If you don’t feel comfortable going out, don’t go out. If you do go out wear a mask and try to social distance. Wash hands often.

like others in this thread I have not paid much attention to restriction rules or lack of as I restrict myself and rarely venture out.

Our Covid numbers are up 49% since last week. People are hoarding toilet paper again. My neighbors who go out to eat at least twice a week say the restaurants in Palm Beach Island are packed as usual inside. People are already coming from the northern states to vacation in the warmth.

If you live north of Florida in any direction and have friends who vacation here... you might want to stay away for a few weeks when they return.

• pamghatten

WNY, we just were put in the yellow zone, Gov Cuomo has been harping on the rising infection rates in our area. We are probably going to be in the red zone by Wednesday and everything will be shut down again. It's too bad people can't do what they are supposed to do to keep COVID in check. Thankfully I work from home and wear a mask the few times I need to go to get groceries or other essentials.

• nini804

In NC, we have a statewide mask mandate, gathering limitations, capacity restrictions for retail, restaurants, bars...schools are on a district by district basis. The large district we live in is currently all virtual for HS and middle, and I think elementary is in person but reduced days. Many more rural districts are in person, but everywhere has strict mask, hygiene and distancing measures in place. Honestly, the district puts out cases in the schools weekly, and there have been sporadic cases, but none were transmitted or acquired in the school.

I fully support sensical restrictions (I adhere to every guideline, whether required or merely suggested) but it I have read SO many articles from many different sources that closing schools does not prevent spread and it has a severe negative impact on children from lower socioeconomic brackets. We will be paying, as a society, for this disruption in children’s education for a long time to come.