Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teach112

Should I paint the chairs ?

teach112
3 years ago

Photo shows house closed up for the winter (table is covered to keep sun off the wood) but I need a change in the room. Everything is wood and the dining set "matches" the pine board. Any suggestions to give some life to the room? Painting the walls is not an option. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

open concept · More Info

Comments (12)

• Sally W
    3 years ago

That is a lot of wood - pretty wood, but still. Any chance of swapping out those chairs for upholstered ones? You could add some softness and color that way.

teach112 thanked Sally W
  • tedbixby
    3 years ago

Is this room by itself or do we need to take into consideration other things that are going on? Looks like you have a blue and cream scheme going on? And heavens no, no painting of those walls! I love your home:)

teach112 thanked tedbixby
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

Beautiful! Gain inspiration from Carl Larsen illustrations. I would paint/cover poster board and line the interiors of your corner china cabinets for some color....a pretty blue? How about inexpensive white cotton slip covers for your chairs to add some brightness to the room? You could make them yourself out of drop cloths. Informal looking. I would go with a woven blue and white large check runner for your table (when appropriate). Beautiful room!

teach112 thanked ptreckel
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

They look like nice chairs - I would not ruin them by painting. I don't think they are enough to really change the look of the room anyway. The largest wood surface is the table. I would just use a cloth, like you have, or consider having a piece of UV treated glass cut to fit the top, which would add some shine and a different texture.

teach112 thanked calidesign
  • roarah
    3 years ago

I love what I see of your house!

teach112 thanked roarah
  • territheresa
    3 years ago

If they weren't already nice I would say paint them. If you want some drama, what if you did something bold on the walls behind the shelving of the corner cabinet? Maybe a metallic or bold color peel and stick wallpaper?

teach112 thanked territheresa
  • njmomma
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I love, love, love your room!

I would not paint a thing. I love your china and it looks beautiful up against the wood background.

You need to change out your decor on the table, update your lighting and art on your wall.

Just a few changes will refesh the space.

I would add a linen table cloth instead of covering the chairs. A great centerpiece of white flowers in a beautiful long light blue container on the table. New art. New lighting.

teach112 thanked njmomma
  • njmomma
    3 years ago

Dining Room · More Info

Phalaenopsis Silk Orchids With Succulents in Dark Wooden Rectangular Container · More Info

teach112 thanked njmomma
  • teach112
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the ideas! I will use them to "tweak "what is already in place! Next, the living room!!

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    3 years ago

We don't think you need to paint the chairs, however if you add some upholstered chairs, it might add some lightness and coziness to the room.

Alpine Ski Home · More Info

teach112 thanked Randy Trainor
  • njmomma
    3 years ago

@teach112 No matter how you choose to decorate the room, please post the update :-)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations