Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lawren423

Flow question - Is this kitchen Island too BIG?

lawren423
3 years ago

We have a pretty odd shaped kitchen with a full set of doors to the deck on the right side of the kitchen and the entrances to the front center hall and dining room on the left side. I am working with a kitchen designer and i am worried that the island that's designed is too big for the space. We (family of 6) spend a lot of time at the kitchen table and the area around the table seems really squishy to me... and the flow to the back deck from the center hall not so defined because of the size of the island. I've never renovated a kitchen before so maybe I'm not reading the plan correctly, but does the room on this plan around the island and table seem wide enough? If not, any recommendations on how big the island should be to be a nice size but not too big? Any other suggestions? Thank you!

Comments (20)

• lawren423
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here's a rendering to get an idea but it's not to scale.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

That island feels impractically large to me as over 6' square would make the middle space pretty useless for me beyond something decorative, since it's at least a 3' reach, though it would be less grabable for children. As for the space it leaves, at around 8', Im not convinced there's room for seats both at the table and the island. Based on taller people (read: most people), I'd estimate 2.5' for pushing one's chair back, so 5 feet around the table plus the table ... you're into that island, and the back to back chairs are sharing the same space. The chairs might be fine if they wouldn't be used at the same time, but it wouldn't really leave an aisle between. I'd be considering whether I could cut the island back to more like 4' deep to get 2' back on the table side for that aisle and also whether the island seats were necessary, as they'll encroach right back into that space (literally).

lawren423 thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Ideally, work aisles (between fridge and island and between range and island) should be 48" appliance door to counter, not door to cabinet. The traffic aisle on the right should be 36" counter to wall, not cabinet to wall. There should be 60" between the island and table, to accommodate both rows of seats.

Sources:

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

I'm not bothered by the side aisles ... but maybe that's me being small and living in an old house. You don't generally need to fit all six squishing through the aisles ... though it gets more likely if they can't go between the table and island. It might be snug by the refrigerator and the warming drawer, especially if you have people who stand and stare at the refrigerator with the door open, and likewise if that deck door will get left open, but that's easily solved by closing the door and chasing the refrigerator starer off to the table with their snack/drink.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

Is that a gas fireplace right next to your dining table? I hope it's just for looks....it will be a hot dinner otherwise.

• Celadon
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The entire whole is a hot mess. Someone wants to create cool stuff without having any part of functionality enter into it at all.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

With a dining table right there, you don’t need stools at the island. I like 45”-48” aisles to allow for two or three people to be in the kitchen together. Stools with people sitting on them just get in the way and block the aisles.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Yes, the island is too big.

• shivece
    3 years ago

Another potential issue with a big island is whether you can buy - and safely get inside and install in your specific house - a single piece of whatever surface you want, or if you will have to have seams, and if so, what they will look like, where they will be, whether it will cost extra, and if so, how much, to make seams look good (bookend or other matching/extra surface required). You will absolutely want to see slabs in person, make sure yours are marked, see your templates and understand exactly what is happening. (Seams, orientation, etc.) You don’t want to spend $$$ and be disappointed by the way the island turns out.

• Carol Westover
    3 years ago

Does this kitchen have a refrigerator? I can't spot it.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Reduce the size of the island, eliminate any overhang and stools, and use your dining area for seating. The dining area is way too cramped as it is.

• dmpsd
    3 years ago

In case it is helpful, I have 102" from the edge of the island to the windows. Given where our table is placed, this gives us 40 inches between the edge of the island and the edge of the table. This is fine for us (family of 4 and 2 dogs who always like to lay in a kitchen walkway), but you will note that we don't have island seating back to back with the kitchen table. We have three seats on the island -- two are on the end and one is on the side that backs to the table, but out past the table. I really love the island seating and am super happy we added it -- even though we have a kitchen table steps away and a dining room table nearby.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

Here's a layout with a 72" x 40" island. If you make the aisle to the right 36", I think it will just fit. There are two prep paths, although the layout would work with just the perimeter sink. To maintain the 42" work aisle between the island and range, the island would actually protrude past the edge of the fridge, by ap 5".

Loading the DW would require a pivot to the left, but there is enough space between the open DW door and the sink cabinet to stand to unload the DW to the upper cabinets.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

My design book says you need the following distances behind a table for armchairs: 34" for arising/departing, 38" for edging past, 46" for walking behind.

• lawren423
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone! Super helpful. I need some of the storage space in the island so will be bringing it in some but also reducing the cabinets on the fireplace wall from 24 to 18” to see if that helps. Here are more renders. The fridge/freezer is to the right of the entrance.

• lawren423
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also this is a 100+ year old house, with the kitchen on top of a walkout basement (so, kitchen is on the second floor in the back) so we are limited to the existing footprint. My current island has 31” and 35.5” of space around it now and we do not feel cramped (as I am the only one cooking usually).

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

The main sink crushed into a corner like that would bug the heck out of me- so much time is spent at the sink and it appears to be an afterthought (and too small).

• lawren423
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, yeah I didn’t want a big sink and i have a second one that’s pretty front and center.

• wilson853
    3 years ago

I would consider making this a single wall kitchen with a parallel island that is wider but narrower so that you can offset the DW that is directly in front of the range. It is not a good idea to have appliance doors that interfere with each other. Your refrigerator is far from your sink and range so I would bring that into the work zone and find another spot for the freezer. The second DW, smaller sink and uppers could be moved into the place of the frig and freezer and be used as a coffee station. Uppers above could store cups, glasses and coffee supplies. We always use the couple of seats at our island even though we have a breakfast table and dining room nearby. With a big family and friends I think that you can never have too much seating.

Pinewold · More Info

Evanston Project · More Info

Mediterranean Kitchen · More Info