Software
Houzz Logo Print
qbrown82

Kid closet question

5 years ago

Hi, I am looking for help organizing my daughter’s closet. She has so many dolls, and plays with them all daily. The opening for the closet slider is 26.5” wide and the depth of the closet is 22.5”. And the height from the floor to the first wire shelf is 46”.


I was trying to find a mesh wire pull out drawer but could find any to maximize space. I want to use all the area in her closet for storage. I’d so appreciate any ideas! I have cleared out everything she doesn’t play with. Thanks so much!



Comments (6)

  • 5 years ago

    Hi! Thanks! She is 6. In the 2nd pic the pullout drawers have doll clothes and toys. She has a dresser in her room for her folded clothes. The storage we need is for dolls and toys. We do have a lot of dolls and doll clothes. She plays with them all and dresses them all the time. Thanks so much!

  • 5 years ago

    Well, God bless her imagination!

    But let's think about some organization!

    Unless you are a zombie like I am, I am guessing you are not in the U.S.

    Do you have the equivalent of dollar stores where you are?

    Stores that sell very inexpensive things, including things for the home and organizational products such as hooks and hangers and storage items?

  • 5 years ago

    Those backpacks are taking up very valuable real estate there in the closet.

    They are also probably too high up there for her to reach.

    I would get some type of hooks to put on the wall and hang those back packs and totes on those hooks at her height.

    Command hooks are great for that, but they are not cheap, but the dollar stores have cheap copies of these and will hold the empty backpacks and totes.

    They are cute and colorful and will add to the ambiance and in addition, when it is time to go somewhere, she can get her own bag and start packing herself, whether it is to get her school items or toys or pajamas to go to grandmas when this COVID is over!

    In the place where the backpacks are now, you can build a few rows of shelves for dolls.

    Or you can get child sized plastic hangers for dolls clothing and hang them up .

    As for what is in the slide out bins, I am getting palpitations from what looks like the disorganization.

    I would start collecting boxes of all sizes and shapes that can fit in those bins, you don't need to buy containers, and have your daughter sort the clothing by type of doll or toy.

    Then within each doll type sort the clothing by type. Then find a container for each type of clothing within each doll type. Then label each container.

    You can use shoe boxes, jewelry boxes, mailing boxes, anything. It would look nice if you covered the outside and inside of the boxes with all the same type of paper, so everything looked uniform and neat. it is okay if boxes are stacked.

    Just don't over-pack a little box or else it will never stay neat.

    If a box doesn't have a lid, tie a ribbon around the contents so they don't spill out.

    wash and steam or iron all the doll clothing so it looks as neat as her own clothing and teach her to fold the clothing as she does her own.

    And if she doesn't fold her own clothing, well it is time to start!!

    In the second photo, you have a lot of empty space to the right of the wire basket unit. Can you or your husband build shelves there?

    Get a second wire basket unit?

    Get a hanging hangar unit to give you a second and third tier for hanging more doll clothes?

    And may I please mention, please be on the lookout for anything she seems to use less, and get rid of it immediately. even if she seems to be a hoarder about it.

    Mine was a book hoarder.

    The way I pried the books away was by telling her "Think of all the poor children that can't afford books of their own..."



  • 5 years ago

    I’d get exact measurements of the closets and then play around on the Container Store Elfa website, or similar. You don’t have to order from there, but it would help you see different configurations of storage possibilities. And this next suggestion is widening your possibilities, not narrowing, sorry, but also look at garage storage systems, office storage and kitchen storage for more possibilities. Like maybe a section of pegboard with all the little holes and use those hooks to hang tiny doll outfits.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I need to see a floor plan to scale maybe the answer is to make a bigger closet out of the space but I need to see a to scale floor plan. I find little kids need a ton of toy storage and as girls get older that cahnges to a ton of clothing so what ever you do needs to be adaptable .