Software
Houzz Logo Print
37218

Need help with colors for exterior siding

13 years ago
We bought the house this year and from the get go we hated the yellow siding, but we thought that's an easy fix. I just don't know what color to paint it. Would a brick red be too harsh? The roof is also red and note there is some siding close to the roof (above the front door). Should I just go with a tan color? I'm not sure what would look best. I included a close up of the brick. I appreciate any suggestions!

We are also in the process of redoing the front landscaping...any suggestions are welcome!

Comments (20)

  • 13 years ago
    The roof draws attention, so I would just paint the yellow with a neutral color. You can try for a tan, to match the tile.
    Raluca thanked idau85 A
  • 13 years ago
    rcostell, do you have a sherwin williams color in mind for the mid tone gray you mentioned? Do you think I would have to paint the door the same color? it is currently brown. I appreciate your suggestions!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The red roof is such a strong color, I would leave the current brick color and paint the rest of the house a more muted tone.

    Front exterior · More Info
    Raluca thanked Dytecture
  • 13 years ago
    I like the image above. i think a light color paired with the lighter brick is very pretty and draws attention to the stand-out roof :). I think a dark grayish blue might also be pretty.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Not crazy about the brick... but you need to look at the roof color also. Try to find a suitable contrast, or a muted siding color...
    Raluca thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 13 years ago
    Sustainable Dwellings, unfortunately I can't change the brick, and i dont have a clue what contrast color would work, that's why I'm asking for suggestions. Do you suggest a specific color? Thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    Sherwin Williams has a paint visualizer option that will allow you to try shades to house photo upload.
    Raluca thanked studio10001
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with Dyfecture.

    A light grey would look great and make your home stunning!.

    If you like it, Houzzers could suggest specific colors in grey.
    Raluca thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- With a red roof ,you can't have red or green . A green will not go with that brick . A nice tan like color is "Ranchwood" by Benjamin Moore paints and have a look at a classy blue "Amsterdam blue " by BM
    Raluca thanked lefty47
  • 13 years ago
    lefty47, I like the Ranchwood! Is this a cool tone color? When painted, is this a very light tan? or a deep color tan? Thank you so much!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Pick a color from the brick, either a bit lighter or a bit darker. Or make a statement with a dark grey. But please also paint the trims another color, at least an offwhite.
    Even better (to me) would be stucco. I do not like the vertical stripes combined with the masonry. Which of course could be diminished by painting the vertical trims the same color as the whole siding..
    Outdoor Living · More Info

    Matthews - Exterior Metal Balcony · More Info

    Randall Mars · More Info

    Exterior · More Info

    Traditional Front Porch · More Info

    Exterior · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you rinqreation. Should I paint the window trim the same color, or just the vinyl trim? what about the trim by the roof line? Thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    Join the vertical lines with the siding.
    And the roof trim with the window frames.

    Tell me your thoughts on these examples:
    Raluca thanked rinked
  • 13 years ago
    rinqreation, I really like the color on the left, but I think the trim is too dark. I just found out that we are changing the roof at the end of the month, so I can always go with a different color roof to have more choices for the siding. I do like your idea of painting the vertical trims! Thank you so much! What do you think about a redwood red for siding and a dark brown/grey roof?
  • 13 years ago
    HI -- To answer your questions --I would say that "Ranchwood " is a warm medium tan .The reason why this color will work on your house is the - "goes with" colors shown below has a red color that is like your roof color - so it will look great . I have recommended this color to others many times and they just loved it on their house. You will love it , I promise ! Then you could have a pretty blue front door !
  • 13 years ago
    I would go for a latte color with cream trim. Also paint the garage door the latte color. Red with tan is a great combination.
  • 12 years ago
    I forgot to attach an after picture. Here it is.
  • 12 years ago
    Here is a better picture, new roof and retaining wall...need to do the landscaping in the front in the spring will need ideas for that too :) thank you everyone!!!
  • 12 years ago
    I am glad to see you went neutral! It allows for change much more easily! My mock ups are a little different than what you went with, but your home looks beautiful!