mrkmbb

Builddirect flooring

mrkmbb
Does anyone have opinions about builddirect.com? They have some pretty nice wood flooring for a very good price. Reviews online are mixed as they usually are for any company I research. This is the one i am considering: http://www.builddirect.com/engineered-hardwood-floors/-natural/productdisplay_8804_p1_10082448.aspx. Thanks!

• charleee
    This will probably not be very useful but I did order some porcelain tile samples from them and I liked the quality of the samples they sent. Also, the tiles arrived the very next day, I'm in California and they're in Canada. They followed up with a phone call asking if I liked the tiles so I think their customer service is very good.
  • mrkmbb
    Very helpful! You know when you read reviews online you have to take into account that usually it's the disgruntled people who are most motivated to post something so a company may be mostly great but you still read more negative stuff. I'm sure there is NO company that EVERYONE loves! So far I have to say I like their website, I like the correspondence they send when you order samples and the product seems pretty amazing (too good to be true?... we'll see).

I'm attaching a cross-section pic of some samples. The top one is from Lowes and costs $4.29/sqft, the middle one which is SOLID wood is $3.89 at BuildDirect and the bottom engineered is on clearance for $1.79 at BuildDirect. You can see that one has a much thicker top layer of wood than most. I think that's the one I'm going to go for and hope for the best!

Anyone else have any thoughts about BuildDirect or Jasper flooring?

Hard wood floor for radiant heat

If you want the look of hardwood, take a look at wood-look ceramic tiles. They can be quite beautiful, and tile conducts the heat better than anything I believe. I think carpeting and stone are also reasonably good. But I"m not an expert, so let's see if some of the professionals here have other suggestions. Here's a website that seems to explain the pros and cons of some of the different flooring materials with radiant heat: http://learn.builddirect.com/flooring-info/heat/radiant-heating/

Vinyl Plank Flooring for whole house?

We lived for 30 yrs with hardwood and area rugs and recently moved to a 2 bedroom condo worth about $500 with wall to wall carpet. I have to pull up the light beige carpet due to a faulty water line from the frig leaking all night. ( i thought my flooding days were over). I still can't decide on flooring. I never want to worry about water issues again. I have porcelain tile in all the bathrooms and kitchen. The subfloor is concrete. Husband wants wall to wall carpet and I'm for a virgin PVC luxury vinyl planks for all the reasons it is so popular. I would want area rugs to warm up the look however; now I have high maintenance. I expect this is going to cost $10K at least and want to do it right. Ugh.

Best floor for big dogs?

Melissa... thanks for the "thanks"... Should you decide to consider any of the "hardwood floor" options outlined, I think you'd be surprised with the performance & durability, as well as easy maintenance & comfort... (as opposed to the porcelain tile direction). Bamboo... as Masterpiece indicated... the real durability factor there isn't the "grass/weed" itself... it's the type of finish used on top... and there are varying qualities between manufacturers. Obviously, I have no idea of your location, but if there's an interest in the future please feel to drop me a line at: david@SelectHardwoodFloor.Com We'd be happy to discuss the numerous options available in CUSTOM prefinished hardwood flooring... both SOLID & ENGINEERED. I've had the pleasure of working with numerous people all over the country we've met through the Houzz network.

Has anyone ordered flooring from Build Direct? Are they reputable?

NO BUILDDIRECT IS NOT REPUTABLE. I purchased over $10,000 worth of their wood flooring which delaminated (plies came apart). A certified wood flooring inspector (also certified as an expert witness in the NV state court system) wrote in his written report that the delamination was caused by, and I quote from the report, "manufacturing responsibility." BuildDirect refused to honor their 25 yr structural warranty. I attempted to sue BuildDirect and learned that their Terms of Use WAIVES the consumers right to sue them in small claims court. Additionally BuildDirect hides behind legal roadblocks that REQUIRES that consumers use an arbitration firm the BUILDDIRECT chooses (you think they can be unbiased when Builddirect pays their bills?). Additionally, you MUST TRAVEL TO CANADA to participate in the biased arbitration process. Lastly their wood flooring warranty is a SCAM since it requires the consumer to maintain their home at 35-55% humidity at all times. Guess what? Virtually no home in the United States can maintain this requirement at all times. Don't believe me? Please google the humidity levels in your city during the day, night and different seasons (site like Cityratings.com). You will find there is NOT A SINGLE CITY IN THE US that will not deviate from the requirements to maintain the warranty. BUILDDIRECTS WARRANTY IS A SCAM!!!! Do yourself a favor, avoid a nightmare like I have experienced, and buy from an American company that can be held to U.S. consumer protection laws. The photos shows some of the $10,000 worth of defective BuildDirect flooring that had to be ripped out and replaced with another manufacturer's flooring product. Total cost of project to rip out and reinstall flooring was about $50,000 when the original project was budgeted at $17,000.
  • charleee
    It does look amazing, doesn't it? I would say if you can afford the solid wood, go for it. Over time floors will need refinishing and IMO you'll have the best results with the solid. Good luck to you and let me know how it turns out, ok?
  • mrkmbb
    I would love the solid wood but it has to be nailed or glued and we want to float the floor over our cement slab. That's the only reason we will probably go with the bottom one. I will post pics when finished (which won't be for a month at least!). Thanks
  • orangele
    I had a horrible experience with BuildDirect. I learned the following facts which should serve as a warning for anyone considering purchasing from them.
    1) They are based in Canada; in the event that there is a problem with your order or product, pursing them is very difficult
    2) Their Terms of Service WAIVES your right to sue them in small claims court.
    3) Their Terms of Service requires you to arbitrate any issues using an arbitration organization that BuildDirect chooses; you decide if this may bias the arbitrator.
    4) Even if you attempt to arbitrate an issue with your order or product, you will be required to travel to Canada to do to.

How do I know this? My engineered flooring purchased from them delaminated, and was determined by a certified wood flooring inspector to be due to "manufacturing responsibility." BuildDirect refused to honor their warranty. I attempted to sue them, and actually travelled to Canada where I learned the facts noted above. Do yourself a favor and don't take a chance with this company and purchase from an American company.
    Oak & Broad
    There is a lot to be said about buying American made flooring. I just had this conversation with a client yesterday. Flooring made overseas can be a risky investment for your home.
  • orangele
    If you would like to read a thread which includes the explanation of why Builddirect failed to honor the structural warranty in my specific case you can google "BuildDirect nightmare," which is a discussion forum thread on gardenweb. It is useful in that it includes the input from a representative from BuildDirect who comments on my specific case, and my responses to him. Come to your own conclusions about whether BuildDirects explanation is reasonable.
  • hayleydaniels
    Reminds me of the horror stories about Lumber Liquidator on pissedconsumer.com. These stores have the warranty written to cover them, not the consumer. Their products are either seconds, rejects or made from wood that hasn't been dried properly so you end up with problems from the day it's put down.
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    Discount "big box" flooring stores are great if you are getting something for $0.89/sf because "no one cares" if you have to buy an extra 10% because much of it is damaged or seconds...you've already decided it will be OK because the price is so amazing. But when you are paying very close to market price ($3.99 - $7.99/sf) then you are really playing with fire...I'm sorry hear these stories but they never, ever surprise me.
  • Timothy Tom

This shows the approximate $10,000 worth of BuildDirect flooring which was determined by an independent, certified, and NV state court expert to have delaminated due to "manufacturing responsibility." Builld Direct refused to honor their 25 yr structural warranty (using their scam warranty humidity conditions). This shows after I had to tear out the defectively manufacturered BuildDirect product and replace with another manufacturers product. BuildDirect claimed it is not possible to install this species of flooring in my location (why did they sell and directly ship to my location then), and I replaced with the identical species, identical number of plies of engineered flooring and it look beautiful still thus proving another of many lies told by BuildDirect.

• Alicia Albert

We just bought our first home, and wanted to put down some nice, durable flooring before moving in. Jessica, the sales lady was great to over night us some samples. I was so impressed by that! I mutilated them by trying to scratch it with scissors, and hitting it hard with sharp objects. I was so surprised that it seemed to hold up beautifully!!! So, I ordered. The flooring took longer than it was originally supposed to, AND it was damaged when we got it - still, Jessica handled it beautifully and sent replacement flooring quickly. We went to the work of laying it all, and thought we loved it. Now for the bad part. We had the flooring down for a very short amount of time, took every precaution to be sure that while moving it didn't get scratched, putting thick cardboard down on the areas we were moving things in at, and that once we got in EVERY piece of furniture had sliders on it before it ever touched the floor. But that wasn't good enough. Immediately, we see scratches on the floor from the simple act of pulling out our dining room chairs (the ones with the sliders, you know!?) and pushing them back in around the table. BAD scratches. We bought not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but about the middle of the road vinyl laminate plank flooring. I kept hearing about how durable it was, and there were NO warnings about only using rubber caps on the chairs (which is the ONLY thing we've found that won't scratch this floor!) I contact Jessica, finally find all my camera parts from moving, and get pics of the scratches to her, which is what she asked me to do, and all I get is this: I'm sorry that the product is not holding up to expectations. Unfortunately, without deeming it as defective, the warranty does not cover scratching." So this is my warning to you - buy local, so that people will care about their reputation enough to take care of their customers who spend large amounts of money with them. I would have been happy with a partial refund, but no - NOTHING but a very expensive scratched floor is what I'm left with.

• Timothy Tom

Please realize that you essentially have NO WARRANTY for a wood flooring product from BuildDirect because this Canadian company has erected numerous legal roadblocks to avoid honoring their warranty even when their is clear evidence of faulty manufacturing. Again BuildDirect warranties are a SCAM (unrealistic humidity requirements which can void 100% of the flooring that they sell, you CANNOT sue them according to their Terms of Use, you AGREE to have your complaint heard and decided by arbitration company that BuildDirect hires, you MUST travel to Canada if you decide to participate in the biased arbitration process.

Yes I have posted on my experience widely. Do I have an axe to grind? Yes; wouldnt you after paying 10K for flooring that literally fell apart after being installed. So yes I am pissed off, and have attempted to spread the word on why this company should be avoided, and BuildDirect cannot refute any of the warnings I have given.

• Wendy Lynn Shanaberger

Did anyone order Toklo laminate from BD? I did and have a warranty issue right now. I really don't want to replace it. Just want the cloudiness gone. It is horrible.

Cancork Floor Inc.

@Wendy...please post your discussion on it's own with photos. A bit more description of what has happened will also help (age of product, how long after installation, what cleaning products have been used, etc). This will ensure you get the attention you deserve.

BTW: I would need answers to all of those things listed above before I could help you with your situation (photos, age of product, etc).

• Wendy Lynn Shanaberger

I posted a separate comment. I cannot get a good picture as cloudy floors do not show up in pictures. The first step in resolving cloudy laminate floors is apparently paying a wood floor installer to inspect my laminate floors-I get to pay $500. Wow. I replied telling them all I was asking was to tell me how to get the cloud off top of floor. You would think they would contact Toklo and ask them. They are about 6 months old.

Sophie Wheeler

''Cloudy'' is whatever you've cleaned them with.

Cancork Floor Inc.

What is your cleaning product du jour, how often and with what method. Surface cloudiness is commonly caused by cleaning products. Laminates are not known to "cloud" but the "right" chemicals (ie. wrong cleaning products) can cause anything to turn colour/cloudy.

Select Hardwood Floor Co.

Caveat Emptor...

As I usually inform our clients when the subject of the long term "warranties" promoted by many/most of the mass production people...

More often than not, those warranties have so many hidden disclaimers, in reality they are only useful if one runs out of toilet paper.

• Moneeka O'Sullivan

BD website showed 2 million in stock of a particular siding. Talked at length with sales person. Ordered placed 7/1/15, was expecting tomorrow 7/24/15. Called today to follow up and BD rep states manufacturer does not have product produced yet... No date in future was offered, only "cannot guarantee any delivery date". Cancelled the order. Denying charge to credit card. Now getting much grief from sales rep stating all conversations were recorded and/or documented. I hope more people would post experiences on BD's Facebook page.

• hayleydaniels

Moneeka, check the web site pissedconsumer.com and see what you can find out about others' experiences with BD. The problem you now have is that you have 'relationship' with this vendor so you're going to have a much higher burden of proof in fighting the credit card charges. I know as I joined a couple of genealogy sites a few years ago, and was going to let the memberships lapse as I wasn't on there much. My debit I had used to pay for the membership had expired so I figured the charges would be declined. Not so! The company added 2 years to my debit card and ran them through. I had to file two appeals to get it charged back as I 'had a previous relationship with the vendor.' It was a nightmare, but the banks take the side of the vendor unless you can prove fraud or something. You might want hire an attorney depending on how much you're out. And don't forget to call the Attorney General's office and file a complaint as well as the Better Business Bureau. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

• Spartan Leathers

I just finished installing, oh, about 800 square feet of engineered flooring from BuildDirect.

I cant figure out how to post a review on their site, so I guess I'll do it here.

My background. Im just a homeowner DIY'er, but I can pretty much do anything I want, and figure out how to do it. It's not rocket surgery. I read a bunch of stuff online, watched vids, etc.

I got the Vanier Hickory Blended Width flooring in the Robson color.

Here are my short-term impressions, as it's only been installed for a week.

Sales & Service: The sales guy I had was very helpful, attentive, and assured me that if I used him to order (vs stock counts on the website), he would verify they had what I needed prior to ordering. That said, once I ordered, the shipment came quickly, and aside from a couple forklift holes in a couple boxes (and a couple scraped boards that I didnt bother reporting cause you know you're gonna have to rip some anyway) it came in good shape.

Quality seems to be really good. The boards come in random length from a foot and a half to 4 feet (roughly 1.5ft, 2.5ft, 3ft, and 4ft), and a pretty even mix of sizes. They recommend you order 10% overage. I only found a handful of boards out of all that sq footage I was unhappy with. And that mostly consisted of epoxy (or whatever that stuff is) filled in knots that looked like somewhere down the line they could potentially fail. With the exception of a few of the shortest boards in the 7" width, everything was perfectly square. For the few that were not (which is assuming I dont take any blame for somehow messing up during install), it created a gap of about a millimeter give or take on the opposing short edges. With what I've read online about stuff being made not square, not a consistent width, etc. I was very happy with that. I would say some of the tongues were not terribly strong and would occasionally get crushed by the stapler, but Im guessing that's just a part of laying engineered flooring.

Installation was not overly difficult. We actually glued AND stapled. It took me and my wife a full 5 day week (approx 60 hours each) to install our living room/kitchen area, a small hallway, and 2 bedrooms (and their closets). A week later, my hands and back still hurt. Know what you're getting yourself into. I just try to remember the thousands of dollars I saved myself doing the work myself. I pity the fool who ever tries to pull this floor up.

Durability: Hickory is hard stuff (why we picked it), and held up well during install to us knocking over the big Bostitch floor nailer, dropping things, etc. with no visible damage. We have a toddler who I am sure will help us determine the long term durability of it.

Appearance: Beautiful.

Cancork Floor Inc.

Handsome looking floor. Keep us posted after 1-2 years.

Sophie Wheeler

Wood moves when it absorbs and releases humidity. Nailed and glued wood will probably just split or buckle. I already see gapping in the pics. The end milling doesn't look none too hot. Glad you're happy, but I sure wouldn't be. Either with the product or the install.

• Spartan Leathers
    Whatever you may see, it's not gapping. Everything is tight. I both glued and stapled at the advice of a local, highly recommended and respected pro (and friend). I hope you are wrong, but time will tell.
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.

@Spartan Leathers...

Kudos to you (& your wife) for jumping in with both feet.

If you're happy... there's no reason to worry about anyone else!

You have the feeling of accomplishment as well as the satisfaction of knowing that you probably saved $2,400 (plus or minus depending on where you live) in labor to install 800 sq. ft..

So, based on your figures, you have a combined investment of perhaps 120 hours (60 ea.), equating to a wage of $20 hr.

I have some openings... when can you start? haha

• SandyC.
    As with most jobs, I'd rather pay a pro to do their job and not spend two weeks doing something a team of installers could have knocked out in a day or two.
    As two working professionals, my husband and I never thought twice about hiring a pro to do house stuff. We knew it would be done in a timely manner. It's something they do for a living! We do our jobs and they do theirs.
    Our time is much more valuable than $20/ hour.
  • charleee

Spartan Leathers - G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S!!! I hope they last a lifetime for you!

• Spartan Leathers

@Select Hardwood - Yeah, if I knew how long it would've taken me.... although, paying someone wasnt in the budget either. When you're doing a whole-house gut-job remodel from savings....

• charleee

Spartan, that's the thing, isn't it? You want cohesiveness but cohesiveness can be expensive!

ULTIMATE HARDWOOD LTD
    I'd like to point out a few facts.
    1) Canadian MADE flooring is some of the best worldwide. Build direct sells Chinese mostly.
    2) take everything you hear from a 'box store' with a grain of salt. They don't know anything pertinent.
    3) it's up to the CUSTOMER to vet the flooring/installer/store purchased from
    4)to all the homeowners looking to save a buck that have paid double or triple I have this to say(again and again)
    Hardwood is not a BUDGET floor covering option and thus why it can stand up over decades.
    The real deal with Hwd is the more you pay the longer it should last( obviously with the right installer/finisher). If you can't afford $5 and up for unfinished flooring and you can't afford $3-5 a sq for the installer then I'm afraid you cannot afford Hwd at this point. Remember ppl you get what you pay for!!!!!! The rest is all just smoke and mirrors. That's a fact. Good luck. Source your flooring from a local NWFA qualified mill.
    thebuilderdepot

We make no comments on any particular store. We only offer suggestions to help consumers make informed decisions and perhaps give pause for thought.

There are a few things I look for when shopping online. "Reviews". There is actually no way to leave a review on some websites. You can see products have 127 Five Star reviews, but if you look on the site there is no way to actually leave a review so where did they come from? This is the case for many websites. I do not think you need us to answer this rhetorical question.

The other thing we recommend looking for is a Google Trusted Store. Companies advertise on Google. They value Google as a method to get consumers to their website. If they value Google then why not use their "Free" Google Trusted Store program? It is the only 100% fool proof way of showing reviews and backs the product up by a $590 Billion Dollar company!

Google is the internet. If a company is not Google Trusted, has not taken the time to be investigated and prove themselves to Google then I would also take that on board.

Buying online is not easy as there are so many choices, the prices look great and at first glance the website looks great. But if you just look out for these two simple things or just search "Company Name Complaints" then Google will list all the issues for you. For example you would enter "XYZ Flooring Complaints" in Google's search bar.

Do your homework. [We created a post on Houzz.com[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/to-buy-marble-online-or-to-not-buy-online-that-is-the-question-dsvw-vd~3812051) to try and help people buying products online, if this helps just one consumer make a more informed choice then it was worth writing. It focuses on the products we sell but the principles apply to any company that is selling home improvement products. [More Info here[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/to-buy-marble-online-or-to-not-buy-online-that-is-the-question-dsvw-vd~3812051).

• orangele

MORE FAKE 5-star reviews for Builddirect

• orangele

So Builddirect appears to be at it again, trying to counter real reviews about their terrible service, or defective products by posting fake 5-star reviews. These fake reviews are not hard to spot. Go to Resellerratings.com and look at the reviews for BuildDirect. The negative reviews were piling up over the past yr, and suddenly multiple 5-star reviews pop up within hours of one another. In the past 2 days 9 consecutive 5-star reviews. Hmmm suspicious yes? Especially when the previous most recent 5 star review for BuildDirect WAS ONE YR AGO. Use your common sense to determine if these 9 5-star reviews are legitimate or not.

thebuilderdepot

Dear orangele

Companies like Reseller Ratings can have their reviews "Selected". Google Trusted Stores cannot - that is why we use Google Trusted Stores.

Reseller Ratings allows companies to "Qualify" ratings. You can contact a customer and then ask "How was your experience." If there response is positive then a company and send them an email link to leave a review. If the response is negative then they will not be sent a link review.

I am certainly not saying BuildDirect is operating this way. But this is a way to create positive reviews and importantly avoid any negativity.

As a company we have tried all review systems and tried to manipulate all of them for the good of the consumer. If we found we a review system could be manipulated we dropped them (no longer used them) and continued to look for a system that could not be manipulated.

So far The Google Trusted Store program is the only review system that cannot be manipulated.

A company that does not have a Google Trusted Store logo may actually be very good. But it is important to note: the Google Trusted Store program is "FREE" and any online company not taking advantage of a free review system may not be doing so because they are struggling with the accuracy of their orders and worried about unfiltered negative reviews.

E-Commerce will be a safer place for everyone once all companies become Google Trusted Stores. IMHO.

Thank you!

• orangele

That is great information. I think many consumers are suspicious of some of the ratings site, and your information simply confirms what I have suspected that the reviews can be manipulated and cannot be taken at face value.

• hsr300x

Just stay away there service is as bad as it gets. I have a 3 year old floor that is falling apart. I purchased 15 mm to avoid this crap. Buy from any one in USA so you have recourse. This company sucks will not honor the 5 year warranty. Live off being in Canada. If I could i'd rip it up and put it thru there front door. Photos and responce on request.

• Luke Childers
    I purchased 2,000 square feet of engineered hardwood floor and it started to fall apart immediately. It's been 8 months since they sent an inspector out who found the floors to be improperly milled. I am still fighting with Build Direct to stand behind their product and for some reason the don't think they should be held accountable. I can understand that things happen, and I would be ok with it if they would stand behind the product and replace the floors for me. For some reason they think they are only responsible for the price of the product. It not responsible for all of the labor included in removing and replacing their faulty product. The prices are decent but the company and customer service are horrible. I hope to still get things taken care of but in my opinion this should have been handled 8 months ago after the inspection. My advice is shop around and do your research on not only the product but also the company you are buying from. To everyone else who has already purchased and are dealing with the same thing I'm dealing with, don't give up until you get what you feel like you deserve and don't take down your reviews. Too everyone who doesn't know, when suits Direct tries to negotiate a settlement they will only settle if you take down your bad reviews of the company.
  • Spartan Leathers

I'm following up on the flooring review i posted a year + ago. At this point i wish i had bought something else. My flooring isn't bad, but the finish doesn't hold up nearly as well as it should. If scratches easily and the wear coat wears far too quickly. It is hickory and should be very hard, but it's not. In my opinion the finish layer is too thin. All that said, i haven't had any structural issues with it.

Chicagoland Flooring

BuildDirect
    (Vancouver, British Columbia) filed for protection from its creditors
    in Canada on Oct. 31 after it could not reverse mounting debts, according to the Vancouver Sun. It filed for similar protections in the United States on Nov. 1

.BuildDirect Files for Protection From its Creditors-2017-11

• Amber Levinson
    last year
    last modified: last year

I had a really unfortunate experience with Build Direct. The flooring I received was both a different width and a different color than what I ordered. Although the team has a nice and professional manner, it was slow to finally get the error recognized and new flooring shipped. Then, the flooring that arrived was also a radically different color than the sample. Not even close. It was weeks of back and forth and logistics to finally get the product picked up, not to mention get our money refunded. I thought we would save money with build direct, but it ended up being more expensive as it delayed our project, cost us and our contractor time, and finally I had to buy a more expensive product from a local store. I would make sure you have a LOT of lead time, if you order a product from them. They won't let you buy a single box beforehand to make sure the product matches the sample. I'm writing this review because I would have wanted to know about this before I ordered - I was really impressed with the prices and thickness but didn't realize what a risk it was. We took that risk (not quite realizing) and lost. Maybe others are happy with it.

• gmarks23454
    last year

O NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!
    DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY!! Very long story short, I ordered over 3000 sq ft of flooring and paid for it. 3 days after is was supposed to arrive, I called to find out the shipping status. At that time I was told my flooring had been sold to someone else and was now out of stock. I was then told to pick out another floor and “price was not an issue.” Picked another flooring close to the same price and this company refused to ship the new product, refused to honor the original price and cost me hundreds of dollars on a construction loan, caused over a 6 week delay in my construction schedule. Now I am fighting to get a refund on close to $7,000 and starting over trying to quickly find flooring for my new home. Oh, let’s not forget that I already paid to have the existing floor prepped for TWO different types of flooring and NOTHING from Build Direct. Not even an apology