Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_334596219

Remodeling our Kitchen. Looking for Ideas.

5 years ago

We want a change in our kitchen! Especially the countertops, backsplash, and cabinets. We appreciate any ideas to bring light and life to our kitchen.
Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

  • 5 years ago

    Hi! Are you looking to change layout at all, replace cabinetry?

  • 5 years ago

    We would like to keep the original cabinets, but change the doors or paint them.

  • 5 years ago

    I think a lighter paint color on those cabinets would go a long way towards brightening the room. The door are very unique.

  • 5 years ago

    I would work with a kitchen designer. That looks like your maybe interested in a total makeover.

  • 5 years ago

    My first priority would be to get the range and hood out of the center of the kitchen and along a wall. How extensive of a remodel are you planning?

  • 5 years ago

    depends on what the home is like. is this a a bungalow or artsy -craft type setting??? those are cabinets maybe to restore if they need a few touch ups and still keep the style/ I wouldn't alter them until i figured out if ...1. they could be taken down and arranged back into a better layout. 2.If the condition and storage would be adequate if you were to use them w a rearrangement. or 3. best options other than altering them if they can't be used in your space...get a buyer for them. I think the interest would be quite immense.

  • 5 years ago

    Under-cabinet lights would brighten things up.

  • 5 years ago

    New door faces; ur cabinets are good quality wood. Lighting LED 4000k & under cabs.

  • 5 years ago

    Those cabinets are extraordinary and worth keeping. Such charm and so unique. I hope you can keep them, they are really beautiful.

  • 5 years ago

    I love both the cabinets and the tile counters/backsplash!

  • 5 years ago

    I'd start by improving lighting - get some cooler bulbs and higher lumens, replace the wooden blind to get some more textures/ colors. Maybe paint the walls into a lighter complementary color and update hardware


    I would not paint those cabinets - too charming and unique and have a value to that. Love the backsplash and countertops as well but can understand how they can get "old" very soon. I'd probably do either or - a backsplash or new counters in some creamy white/ivory

  • 5 years ago

    That tile is stunning! The biggest problem I see in your kitchen is the range hood with those added cabinets. Take out the range hood and replace it with a simple brushed nickel one without cabinets on the side and then re-evaluate.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much for your ideas! We will improve the lighting -as many of you suggested- We won’t change the cabinets, but we will change the color - not white, but a little bit lighter- We’re going to remove the hood, and update hardware. We appreciate all your comments. I’ll post an “after” photo when everything is done.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Love your tile. And I like your cup hardware too. Changing the lighting and reducing the size of the hood area will make a big difference in how your kitchen looks. Once you see how much brighter and open it looks with those changes, you may decide that your stained cabinets look great. Don't make the decision sooner than you need to.

    Unless you really need the kitchen blinds for privacy or light control, try removing them. You might be surprised how much more light comes in.