beth_kovalsky

Shower ideas Kenridge Ribbon Maple 24x48 Mat

Beth Kovalsky

Im using this tile on 3 walls of my walk-in shower, and need advice: Would you do a shower niche on this tile? What alternatives do I have to using the floor or the shower bench? (This is not my bathroom)

Beth H. :

I love this tile from Tilebar.

I would have to see your shower design.

yes, I would do a niche on one of the side walls.

as for a bench, you're better off using a teak bench.

if you want a built in bench, make sure it's built properly and waterproofed. Use a solid surface for the bench top surface (like quartz)

or do a solid floating bench like this one

this one is even better (maybe harder to keep clean though)

you could also do a long niche like shown in the black tile pic.

this 2x2 Zellige tile looks nice in the Niche w/the Kenridge. the bottom shelf is a piece of granite or quartz

• Beth Kovalsky

Thanks, Beth These are the elements I’m using, and I’m having a black stone bench built. The designer doesn’t want to ruin the lines with a niche and asked me to think of alternatives... I’m giving that idea a go, but...

Beth H. :

well, design is one thing, but function is another! where are you supposed to put your products? Will the designer be there every day to hand them to you?

or maybe you want to place them in a basket and take the basket in and out of the shower with you?

only you know what you want!

there are diff ways to do a niche. put it on the far wall so that when you walk into the room, it's not readily visible. if possible.

to make it less noticeable, use the same tile in the niche. I don't think this interrupts the design.

in fact, I love to see a niche, and I love how this one is done. (tile work could have been better though, it's a little off)

I actually like how this one is done. you need a really good tile guy though.

If she's a designer, tell her to incorporate the niche into the design.

I think these all look great.

just depends on how big you want it.

put one right under the shower head

are you doing a pony wall? This is mine. i have two, but did this smaller one in the half wall so it's not visible

• Beth Kovalsky

I live in a Manhattan co-op, so I have no options for size or placement, but these are really good ideas! I love the idea of using the same tile to make it more “invisible.” Thanks for these suggestions

• arialechat

I'm also using this tile in gray for my kitchen backsplash. What tile edge will you use? I was thinking of Schluter Jolly in satin nickel.

• Beth Kovalsky

Contractor is suggesting this tan for edges

Beth H. :

Looks like a nice match.