Software
Houzz Logo Print
crcollins1_gw

Will I regret polished nickel fixtures?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Picking out finishes for master bath remodel. The style of our current home is very different - more traditional - than our previous mid-century ranch and I am having more analysis paralysis than ever before in our four previous bathroom remodels. Here's what we have going in there so far. I've always used polished chrome fixtures - good ol' reliable, mostly-bulletproof chrome. Will I regret selecting polished nickel?

Any other thoughts on the choices? Still have to pick a countertop. Don't want marble. White quartz?



Shower floor tile, biltmore marble. Walls will be 8x20 matte white porcelain - a creamy not-quite-white.


Vanity and linen cabinet:



Bathroom floor:


Comments (11)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    What other fixture finish were you considering and thinking you might wish you had picked?? Your hard finish choices are lovely and all seem to be going in the same direction, which I agree is traditional and dare I say, timeless. If you're wondering about the current trend to a warm metal like brass or the even trendier black, stop right now. If you're concern is more about polished vs brushed, I would say that polished is a more classic, timeless finish and would default to it because it is gorgeous. However, you're the one cleaning it and there is no doubt that brushed finishes show fewer water spots.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your kind words - traditional and timeless are okay with me!

    I'm most likely to pick polished chrome if not the nickel, but I'm afraid it's too cool. The nickel is beautiful but I've read that it is more subject to damage from cleaning, that the finish itself fails after a period of time, etc., but nothing is recent. I don't mind wiping water spots.

    Thought on countertop? Is solid white quartz a cool white or does it come in warmer, but still-white white? I've never used quartz.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Polished nickel is definitely a bit warmer than chrome and would be beautiful with your finishes. I have always understood it to be slightly MORE durable, not less, than chrome and not as susceptible to damage from scratches. (As in, just the opposite to your concerns mentioned above.) One proviso is that you should attempt to match ALL the plumbing fixtures in the same metal finish, whichever it is. Make sure that all the fixtures you need are available in the finish you choose.


    Re quartz, Caesarstone and Silestone (I don't know where you live so don't know which other types of manufactured quartz you may have access to) have a variety of whites from bright to quite warm. The tones in your porcelain and marble tiles are all on the cool side of the white spectrum though, so err on the side of coolness/greyness, not warmth/beige-ness. Also, the quartz should look more like marble than granite or anything else too contemporary in order to match the formalness of the other hard finishes which are or are trying to replicate marble.

    crcollins1_gw thanked Elizabeth Minish Design
  • 5 years ago

    I used high end satin nickel in a remodel about 8 years ago and the finish is wearing in places to show almost a yellowy metal. I loved it, still do but that bothers me!

    With your coolish toned marbles I would chose chrome but that's just personal preference.

    I've also used only quartz in my last 3 remodels and its beautiful! All 3 very different. My current kitchen remodel I chose a cooler quartz Cambria Weybourne which has white and cool grays. Cambria is typically 30% more in most areas but for me its worth it. For a bathroom I think Caesarstone or Silestone would be fine.


  • 5 years ago

    I was first planning to use polished nickel, rather than the brushed that I ended up going with.


    Here's what changed my mind: I opened the package containing my polished nickel faucet and when I looked at it, here's what I saw: A very clear, and *very* distorted image of my face reflected perfectly in the faucet's shiny surface.


    I decided I didn't need a funhouse version of myself staring at me every time I looked at my faucet.

  • 5 years ago

    LOL! Love that!

  • 5 years ago

    What are you using for the shower walls?


  • 5 years ago

    Shower walls are a 20x8" matte white, a creamy white, not bright. I plan to run them vertically. I was going to do a tiny green marble subway as accent, but I think I've talked myself out of it.

  • 5 years ago

    Oh, and I won't do a brushed finish, so it's either polished nickel or chrome.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    in my previous home, I redid a kitchen and butler's pantry, and I had polished nickel faucets on both sinks and all the knobs and handles were polished nickel. I LOVED them. All four kids were still living at home and always in the kitchen, and I love to cook, so those faucets, knobs and handles saw a lot of use. I may have given one of the faucets a kiss good-bye when we sold the house. It was an older home, built in the 1920s. All the bathrooms were original, and they all had polished nickel faucets. Those definitely showed some age, but I loved them, too.