Software
Houzz Logo Print
erick_mangali

How much $$ to remodel bathroom?

13 years ago
Newbie here! I just bought a 50's California bungalow. One of the first projects I'd like to tackle is a bathroom. It's a pretty standard size with a tub, vanity and toilet. I'd like to redo the tile around the tub and the floor, replace the vanity (I've seen some great remodels using Ikea vanities) and toilet. Not planning on using anything super exotic for the tile - subway tiles around the tub and possibly up the wall and maybe some hexagonal tiles on the floor. I was hoping it would be possible to remove the old tile and put up new tile over the existing drywall/backer board but from my research it looks like that may not be possible and that I would have to have someone redo all that which sounds like it would cost a lot of $$. I know more specifics would help but I haven't moved in yet so I can't get any measurements. I'd just love to hear about some of your experiences. Thanks in advance!

Eric

I've attached the only shot of the bathroom from the listing.

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Unfortunately that is like asking somebody how much does a new car cost. Sorry lol
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Congratulations on the new home. Is this your first? There is some truth to the above listing but as a general rule of thumb if you chose well on both labor and material you could expect to budget between $4,000 to $8,000. I'm basing this on one picture and your limited description. I have no idea if your near me, California is huge, but if you call I could walk you through how to best control your expenses. 714-269-3364. Cheers.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks 6 Peyton's Flooring! From your phone number it looks like you're just south of me in Orange County? Are you a contractor? I'd definitely like to take you up on your offer.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Yes, I am a licensed contractor and material supplier whom has completed well over 500 home remodeling projects throughout Southern California.
    Erick Mangali thanked Wholesale Flooring Orange County
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    There is a budget suited for every remodel.
    Erick Mangali thanked Dytecture
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Other items could increase the cost would be code compliance. Once you remodel the bathroom, you need to bring it up to the current code. The code is different depending on where you live, however the IRC (International Residential Code) has some basic requirements that you will have to keep in mind. Just a few things that I noticed from the picture are the window in the shower- the glass would need to be tempered for safety. You will probably need to upgrade the electrical all well and add a bath fan. If there is Lead paint, then your contractor needs to observe the EPA guidelines when disturbing it.

    These are in place for your health and safety and should not be ignored.
    Erick Mangali thanked SawHorse Design + Build
  • 13 years ago
    really appreciate all the feedback guys! in terms of materials i plan to go with very budget friendly subway tile, ikea vanity, sink and faucet, a modern/industrial light fixture from home depot ($30). for flooring i plan to use the wood-look tiles in a dark grey so that might be where i splurge. so it's really labor i'm most worried about.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The wood-look tiles aren't too expensive. We have some great ones for about $6-10/sf. Fair warning - the Ikea vanities will not last you very long, and their faucets are not very good quality. You get what you pay for with a lot of plumbing fixtures. You can find a nice subway tile for about $2/sf. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Have you tried the Houzz "real cost finder?" It is on the home page. Would like to hear your feedback on how it works for you.
  • 13 years ago
    I tried using the cost finder but it didn't seem to work very well. I was a little confused on how to use it. Not very clear.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Our bath just cost me @$4k ($1,000 went to my contractor friend for 1 weeks help and guidance during his slow post Christmas time, $400 went to my carpenter to pick up and put up the PVC trim I picked out) Demo was done by my husband and I. We shopped smart before making purchases. Vanity and medicine cabinet from Lowes. Tiles and niche from the tile shop. Facets and tub from home depo. Some added expenses were insulation and delays by non square walls and studs facing the wrong way preventing the niche from the original plan. Good luck. If you aren't handy hire in the middle of winter when contractors are slow they may be more willing to negotiate but my friend did me a solid, he usually get $6000
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Your bathroom looks pretty nice as it is but I can't see the quality of craftsmanship
  • 13 years ago
    Looks like my job is very similar to yours with the exception of the tub. Thanks for sharing!