Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
36vintage

supersizing washer = up the dosage?

36vintage
3 years ago

As the subject line says, sort of, when getting a larger front loader, one also need to increase the detergent dosage because of more water?

I went from a 3.5/3.3 cf front loader to a 4.5 cf washer. Using the same dosage, 'everything' looks OK or better with powder; but with the liquid for clothes, I saw some 'suds' on the gasket after load finished with the 3.5 cf and NONE with the new 4.5 cf. I forgot to use the extra rinse on the new LG WashTower while the Affinity was set to use the extra rinse.

My concern is whether using the same dosage would mean that I was using too little detergent? Or I need not be concerned as the stuff being washed came out better? Not quite like going from a top loader to a front loader or the reverse.....

There is a "Tub Clean" function & reminder/nag when a number of wash cycles has been reached as predetermined by the manufacturer. Wonder if I won't be able to do any wash until the Tub Clean function is ran.

Comments (21)

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Detergent is dosed according to both the volume of water and the size/mass of the load. Larger loads involves more laundry soil and reasonably more water to saturate the fabric.

Machine Clean reminders typically can be ignored but I recommend to run the cycle on the designated schedule, if not more often per individual laundry habits ... particularly if cold water washing is your norm, you rarely or never use hot, and never use chlorine bleach.

• Cavimum
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Our FL washer gives the Clean Machine reminder after a certain number of cold washes with minimal Hot washes. Since I run a Hot wash of whites every week, that rarely happens. Thus, I have not seen the reminder in years. YMMV

One way to tell if you've used too much detergent is run an Express/Quick wash cycle with nothing in the washer. Detergent residue will produce lots of suds. Don't ask how I know this. LOL

• littlegreeny
    3 years ago

LGs are really good rinsers...Better than your old Frigidaire so not surprised you no longer see suds. That's a good thing! Just follow the dosing instructions on your detergent.

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

If you are running larger loads than previously, you should probably adjust up a bit to prevent your clothes from getting dingy. If you think the clothes feel like they are not rinsed well or smell like they have more detergent scent in comparison to normal, you can always try an extra rinse. I would likely always run one. We have a WashTower at our summer condo and I have only used it once. It didn't seem to rinse as well as I would have liked.

I also agree with the above posts that discuss the major benefits of running a hot or extra hot wash at least once weekly.

• 36vintage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm using the same dosage as I did with the Frigidaire: 50 ml for detergent, 30 ml for softener, & 30 ml liquid clorox for whites. the 50 ml is the cup saved from Sears' detergent "back when". The load sizes are the same.

Washes are Hot for towels & bed sheets & whites, "warm" for clothes & shower bath liner with shower tub mat. My perception is that the whites are definitely whiter as well at the towels; also more fluffy(?). Too bad there is no indication of temperatures as the terminology for washing is: cold, cool, warm, very warm, hot. Is 'very warm' the same as warm for other machines? & what is medium hot temp for other companies?

I did see suds with a flashlight at the drum level not splattered against the door or gasket, that I notice for towels; will try to remember when doing the other washing.

I am definitely impressed even if I don't have that much experience with owing a washing machine. If this also last 10 yrs, this is a very good deal. Did see a downer review because of not being able to reorient the doors, but for me, the door swings is perfect for me as they swing to the left & not having the dryer swing to the right where I ocassionaly konk my head.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Temperature points nowadays aren't the same across all cycles on the machine. The designated Normal cycle is the most restricted, energy ratings are based on it. Warm may be 75°F to 80°F. Hot may be 105°F to 110°F. Only way to know is test it on all the various setting combinations, including soil levels. Pause the cycle at the middle or toward the end of the wash period (if you can get a handle on the timing) and check with an instant-read kitchen thermometer.

A 2011 Samsung I refurbed 4 years ago for my sister has a warmer Warm on Delicate than on Normal.

• doreycrouse
    3 years ago

On LG washers you should be able to hold the delay wash and either temperature or spin speed button simultaneously and it will provide a live temperature reading in celcius.

36vintage thanked doreycrouse
  • 36vintage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. But the WashTower does not have a 'delay' button. Apparently, since it is a touch panel & has remote start via wi-fi, LG decided that the remote start can take the place of the delay & force one to use the LG app which also requires one to open an LG account. Will think about that with another password to keep somewhere & which of my account for trapping spam/scam to use for LG.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Pretty much all washers nowadays with electronic controls have integrated diagnostics for troubleshooting operational problems. The specific keystrokes to engage diagnostic mode and/or read information varies. Perhaps a service document can be found by searching the model number of your unit, or a similar model.

• Lori
    3 years ago

36vintage. You do not have to use the app to operate the LG Washtower.

• Lori
    3 years ago

Thanks for the info. Our LG Washtower was just delivered the other day to our mountain townhouse in another state. The townhouse is still being renovated so it will be several months before I get to try it out. But I had been researching this appliance since it came out because I needed a stackable, but I’m short and did not want to have to use a stool to get to the dryer controls. This stackable seemed perfect, but when I started reading and came across references to the app, I was concerned as our WiFi service in the mountains is spotty at best. I contacted LG as well as asked questions of customers on Home Depot’s site who had purchased the unit and was assured that the app was not necessary although several people loved the extra settings that the app provided. What most impressed me though was the number of 5 star reviews not only on various consumer websites but, more importantly, the number of 5 star reviews from customers. Pretty impressive for an appliance that has not even been out for a year.

i Would think the “hot” is your ”extra hot” considering it has a “warm” and a “very warm.” My GE washer has “tap cold, cold, cool, colors, warm, hot.” The hot is hot enough that you wouldn’t keep your hand in the water very long.

Good luck!

• 36vintage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Looks like the 'tub clean' notification was sent to the app & this morning, the tcl was flashing when I turned on the washer. It looks like the tcl may flash via a time schedule as the washtower was delivered/installed on 2/5 & the tcl flash is today 3/6; user manual say to clean every month......will skip for now to see if the tcl will flash tomorrow for the next load. Could be one of those CYA type of care instruction/maintenance thing.

The washtower has its own wi-fi network builtin the machine & it communicates to a smartphone/tablet via the your local network when pushing notifications. Don't think an internet connection is necessary; haven't tried it as am quite happy with not using the remote to download various settings. The manual shows the various default settings downloadable; different settings for "full load" & "half load"! I don't think I ever did that; so far I only use the "normal" & adjust the temp & add the extra rinse when I don't forget.

• Laundry Mich
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A friend of mine just rented a apartment with the "Wash Tower" and reached out to me, because his clothes still "stink" after being washed. The thing is a crap shoot, and reminds me of a NEW GE Front Loader I recently saw installed.

Perhaps he has a "off" unit, but, the machine uses so little water, I noticed Pods take a while to dissolve, and rinsing is a literal joke. It looks like two cups of water are being used (an exaggeration but not by much) and, what concerns me is everything smells strongly like Detergent after the wash.

I gave him some Tide Powder, and told him to attempt to use two tablespoons (in slightly hard city water) but I couldn't have been less than impressed.

To the OP -- you should NEVER see suds on the washer's boot after the cycle is "done"... that means the clothes have NOT been rinsed, and are full of detergent residue. Rinses do not need to be completely clear (although it's great if they are semi)... but you should NEVER see suds after the cycle is done.

A real good test, would be to start the washer, allow it to fill, and force the door to open. Feel the water inside the machine. Is it slippery, or just wet. If slippery, the water is conditioned and should adequately clean clothes.

• Lori
    3 years ago

Surprising considering all the rave reviews by people who have purchased it. Has your friend made a service call on it? I do believe I read that you can’t use pods with it, but I’m not positive on that nWe’ll see how it does. I hate front loads, but when you have minimal space and have to go with stackable, all you’re left with is front loads.

• Lori
    3 years ago

You can use pods but shouldn’t put them in the detergent dispense. Put them directly in with the clothes.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Never put pods in the drawer dispenser of any frontloader unless it has a section specifically intended for them. I've seen an HE toploader with a dispenser drawer that has a section for liquid or powder detergents and a special, separate section for pods.

• Lori
    3 years ago

Other thing I noticed in reviewing LG Washtower is that you should only use HE detergent.

• Laundry Mich
    3 years ago

He was placing the Tide Pods (which were HE) directly into the drum. I watched, in mostly shock, as 5 minutes into the cycle, it was only partially dissolved.

As for the Laundry Powder. I gave him Tide Original HE Turbo Powder -- in a Ziploc bag, and told him to dose two tablespoons. He said cleaning improved, but his clothes now smell like the Powder, and apparently something came out with pieces of white residue on it (which surprised me)

His machine was purchased by the development company. He can call the landlord for service, but can't call LG Directly.

I personally wouldn't buy it, tbh. Miele & Electrolux are the only front load washers I'd buy.

• Lori
    3 years ago

Sounds to me like something is wrong with it. There are just too many people who are happy with it for all of them to have this problem. I won’t know for sure about mine for a couple of months, but if it does this, I will certainly be making a service call. I checked both Miele and Electrolux as well as every other stackable under the sun and they are too high. I refuse to use a stool in order to operate the dryer. The only other one I considered was a Kenmore (I think) where you could have the dryer controls put at the bottom of the dryer but it did not come that way and you had to make the switch yourself. It was doable although still a little too high for having to put the clothes in the dryer, but I decided against it after reading all the reviews.

I agree with you that I don’t think front loads are a good as top loaders, but when you don’t have a choice, you do the best you can.

• 36vintage
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm still happy with my washtower; also have turned off/disable its wi-fi; don't need it.

The lg washtower has a tilted (more tilted?) drum than the frigidaire affinity so that the amount of suds I see when washing the fabric curtain & tub shower mat I see much more suds with the affinity with the same dosage. I also think that the tilted drum gives a different impression of how much water there is because the water is centered at the back & usually covered by the laundry. Haven't seen/read the thread on the tilt/horizontal drum.

My whites are whiter & the white towels are also whiter. No problems with smelling detergent. Have read threads about the Miele with its problems & service calls within the 1st 3 years; my affinity never had a service call; only "problem" in 11 years was knocking the gasket alignment off the door at the 2nd week because I over zealously lifted the door to close it resulting water rushing to the floor. If the Miele was "that" good, there would not have been so many problems & service calls on the forum.

The washtower got blood stains out without added treatment or dosage (too long of toenails). Did read of a "bad thing" about the lint filter where the person even uploaded a picture for show; overflowing lint onto the dryer gasket & complained that the placement of the lint filter by the door was a very bad design; I think the picture was 'touched up'; all the dryers I've used have lint filter by/next to the door.

I've calculated that what money I would have spent in 2 1/2 years of coin laundry would have paid for my affinity; for the washtower, it may take 5 years, but the 'economic relief' did alot in paying for the lg washtower; plus the washtower was the only thing available at Home Deport on the day of purchase as all the smaller units were 'out of stock'. The lg washtower was also my 1st choice & it also fitted into the apartment's laundry closet.