Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bianca4325

need help with kitchen backsplash for Typhoon Bordeaux granite

S Fred
10 years ago
I'm stumped on this BS. I *LOVE* my granite and want a backsplash that won't compete with it. Anyone have any suggestions? My cabinets are a medium cherry, tan travertine tile floor, SS appliances and grey silgranite sink. Walls are BM Revere Pewter, but I'm not taking them too much into account as that color will probably change in a few years.
I love the look of subway tiles (smaller, brick set) and love glass mosaic. I'm wondering if I could combine the two. Maybe cream subway on the top and bottom with about 4 inches of a beautiful glass mosaic in the middle? Sound weird? Any suggestions?

Comments (47)

• User
    10 years ago
    Just here to agree with indianpatti ;)
  • S Fred
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the help. :) What size do you think? I can get this sheet of small tiles at a good price. The pic shows white, but they have an ivory too. I could also go bigger...
  • PRO
    Marc Russell Interiors
    10 years ago
    Doing a strip of anything is just going to catch the eye in an odd way. Depending upon the counter top, the subway tiles can be too much shine going on. Stores are offering back splash tiles that are thinner, run horizontal, and are a mix of glass and stone. Good luck!
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I like the bigger tiles ... a matte finish .. in ivory, bright white is too much of a contrast.
  • PRO
    Unravel Design
    10 years ago
    I agree with others, choose the ivory subway tile only - not sandwiched between a different tile. Another interesting finish would be stainless steel.

Kitchen renovation project in Palo Alto · More Info
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Nope, not subway tiles, which is a dying trend.
    I'd go for a solid color glass, or straight-laid large mosaic tile, to pick up the light tone in your granite.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    sstarr93, those are subway tiles in your photo. They are just laid in a stacked, rather than traditional offset brick pattern. "Subway tile" refers to the rectangular shape, not the material (glass, stone, ceramic), color, or layout pattern.
  • mzsallah
    10 years ago
    Hi....I'm sorry but please no subway tiles ...granite means modern, subway tiles scream old....I would do a cream travertine in a diamond shape with cream colored grout ...or if you have to do subway use the subway stone tiles ..not the shiny ones that you find in bathrooms ...j/s
  • mzsallah
    10 years ago
    Like this .....these would match your granite ... Lol lol if you must use subway ;)
  • S Fred
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking of going bright white, like in my photo, but same style in cream. I'm thinking I do like the difference in texture that the travertine would provide, either subway or bigger. I agree that matte is probably best. I wish I had an eye for this stuff. Glad someone else does! Thanks!
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    You could use a little texture.. instead of subway tile, why not try some natural stone with some random accents throughout...?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I have noticed *subway tile* seems to envoke a lot of passion here on Houzz, myself included. Much like a politcal divide lol. I am a huge fan of the subway. Depending on who visits your post you will get a strong response, which usually ends up tied in the end. If you want a clean, simple yet striking, classic, timeless kitchen that is not trending out of style-GO WITH THE CREAM SUBWAY ;)
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    Subway tile is simply rectangular shaped tile, whether glass, stone, or ceramic. It can be stacked vertically or horizontally for a more modern look, or it can be placed in a traditional offset brick pattern. Or you can get creative with herringbone, parquet, or other more elaborate layouts. With busy granite, however, it is best to keep the backsplash simple so it doesn't compete.
  • Diane Brubaker
    10 years ago
    Glad to see this discussion...my kitchen is also waiting for a backsplash and I have similiar cherry cabinets with granite. I was leaning towards subway tile in offwhite/beige. Wanting something simple and classic and I'm glad to hear that so many people think this is a good idea.
    S Fred thanked Diane Brubaker
  • sleitgabel
    10 years ago
    My kitchen has the exact same layout as yours. I'd love to see a pic of what you end up doing!
    S Fred thanked sleitgabel
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I don't really dislike subway tile, but, everyone I know with no imagination has it... The off white or beige/taupe might be just the thing you are needing here.
    S Fred thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    This is one of my objections to granite. What to use for a backsplash since the granite is so complex (and permanent). I think mzsallah had the best resolve up there. Clean lines and complementary colors.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Sustainable Dwellings- I take objection to your remark. LOL I beg to differ, I have a lot of imagination and I still wear black pants as it makes my A_ _ look somewhat smaller ;) I call that *common sense*
  • Donna Harrison
    10 years ago
    We resurfaced our kitchen splashbacks with pressed tin panels which was inexpensive and easy to do... you can paint in any colour.... just glue over existing surface....
  • Donna Harrison
    10 years ago
    and... it comes in a variety of patterns if you don't want anything too busy......
  • sweeps22
    10 years ago
    have a very similar kitchen and we have decided on this from lowes
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_466696-93840-20-659_0__?productId=4582370&Ntt=aluminum+backsplash&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Daluminum%2Bbacksplash&facetInfo=
    we haven't put it up yet but when the pieces are interlocked it looks beautiful. The aluminum gives it a bit of shine and will match appliances while the pale blue glass will break up all the brown even though there are some brown pieces in it
  • mzsallah
    10 years ago
    This is my kitchen ...I went with the full granite backsplash ....I wanted you to see that our kitchens are similar and maybe you can get a granite backsplash ..... ;)
  • hub78
    10 years ago
    This is what i did. I didnt want just granite or tile, wanted some color too. So i mixed glass tiles with travertine tiles the same size and used a 6" travertine subway tile. I like the way it turned out.
  • PRO
    Donco Designs
    10 years ago
    Bianca
    Love your idea. Looking forward to seeing what you finally decide on. I like your idea of the cream tile with your granite.
  • Ellen Goldman
    10 years ago
    I have similar granite (Sienna Bordeaux) and after making myself nuts trying to choose a backsplash, I decided to go with a full granite backsplash. I love how it turned out.....maybe consider doing that! :)
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Sweeps: I'd love to see a picture of your kitchen with the backsplash you posted ...

Margo, you always make me smile :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    aaaw indianpatti - thanks but my posts are not always well recieved LOL
  • Debbie
    10 years ago
    I have similar granite...River Bordeaux and chose crema marfil marble in honed finish. Should be up in about 2 weeks and. will post phto then.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    My granite is similar... I have not selected backsplash yet. I look forward to your pics. I wanted a blend of tile and copper, or something.
  • cambigdog
    10 years ago
    We used the same granite with cherry cabinets and used travertine subway tiles. So glad we did as we are loving it.
  • jnobob
    10 years ago
    Turquoise Definitely
  • charliebeth
    10 years ago
    I agree that subway tile is classic...and to me, classic means timeless. I also think it is better to go with a simple tile backsplash as opposed to one with lots of design and movement as her granite is already pretty patterned. I think that it would be too busy, too much going on if another pattern is introduced. If it was her same granite in solid slabs, I could see that, just like tikva02 did.
  • Janet Selway
    10 years ago
    Moving into new townhouse soon, have pale yellow distressed cabinets, with typhoon bordeaux granite countertops, Thinking about marfil crema tiles for backplash, would like some kind of accent tile but not sure how to do that
  • Ni9es
    10 years ago
    Plain glass grey smoked splash back or with a stainless steel backing (glass on top) would suite this kitchen as there are quite a few focal points, easy to clean, looks 'polished and shiny' all the time and will pick up the gloss in your granite. Stainless is beautiful however hard to keep clean especially near cooking areas. The glass overlay or 'painted stainless glass' can look quite effective. Have a google. Good luck :)
  • Ni9es
    10 years ago
    check out this mirrored splash back - under cupboard lights can also be effective
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=stainless+steel+glass+splashback&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&imgil=w7AW5aM7tqjBxM% enjoy.
  • Beth Ann Wilson
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I have the exact same dilemma and though it is expensive, may just run the granite up to the cabinets. It will run about $1000 more than a 20 $ sq ft tile option so I would love to find a tile option...just not finding one. I was hoping for a great SUBWAY tile in a taupe to match, but I'll I can find under 20$ are white, off white and gray...ugh
  • pj ogdon
    7 years ago

Just curious if you ever found a tile or did you do the matching granite. I have been going nuts trying to match my typhoon Bordeaux as well

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You definitely need a backsplash that won't be too competitive with this gorgeous slab of Typhoon granite, so ivory or taupe subway tile would be perfect choice. However, travertine tile will give a different vibe to the kitchen but also presents a great solution for Typhoon Bordeaux granite.

• zepherseven
    7 years ago

March 24 I have Typhoon Bordeaux which is beautiful- but I can't be sure on a backsplash. It would be best with more of the same. It would take 2 more pieces = more fabrication which I can't afford. I am not sure about a shiny tile in glass or ceramic. I also am looking at a marble rectangle and a cream colored limestone. Then rectangle or some size of square or a fancier shaped tile. The thing I'm sure of is I only want a solid color. There is eighteen feet of backsplash. The wrong tile could ruin the look . The cabinets are the palest grey, almost off white. I used crystal knobs . I am aiming for elegant look. Any ideas?

• PRO
    Julia & Elizabeth
    7 years ago

I would do what you like. If you are concerned about something becoming dated, then I would use the same slab as the backsplash, not subway tile.

• Ellen Goldman
    7 years ago
    I have the same granite and very similar cabinets. When we redid the kitchen I drove myself crazy trying to choose a backsplash that would coordinate. Finally I decided to use the same granite for the backslash. I love the result!
  • zepherseven
    7 years ago

Did you use the thinner granite ( 3/4 inch) for the backsplash? I like your picture. It will take two pieces plus fabrication which will really exceed what I want to spend. The area above the sink does have this granite already with a nice thick sill. Then there's a former 42" by 42" window space to cover and outside of this a narrow band to the ceiling with about a one foot are (horizontal) strip below the crown molding. The cupboards are on each side. I think the granite just might be too heavy looking. I thought of a mural or a medallion but this could be too busy. I also am thinking of glass block because 1. neutral 2. light would come through a bit. It was/is a difficult space.

• ilesliemy
    7 years ago
    I have always loved my travertine backsplash. It was chosen by the previous owner and the one thing I actually liked in this house! Mine are less busy than the ones in a picture someone else showed because they are 4x8.
  • Cheryl Vanyo
    5 years ago

Same problem!! Typhoon will be installed in a few weeks!! Anyone with pictures of completed projects would be SO appreciated!! T Y

• howellv10
    5 years ago

Same here. Installing before Christmas, 2018

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville