esther_smith58

Need help deciding lower cabinet color!

E S

We are down to the final two options for cabinet colors and I can’t decide between magnetic gray and crushed ice. Magnetic gray is a really pretty gray that reads green. Crushed ice is an off white/light gray. The crushed ice looks better with the quartz but I love the look of magnetic gray. It has a homey, cozy feel. The upper cabinets will be sw pure white. Does the magnetic gray look ok with the quartz? What looks better? Don’t care about future resale - we will be here for awhile. Thank you!

• Fori

I'd probably do top and bottom in the gray. It's good with the quartz.

• E S

The magnetic gray or the crushed Ice?

Need help deciding what color to go with for new kitchen cabinets

i agree with Carolyn, once you paint the trim.... I did start in my kitchen and the wall, ceiling and trim colors I have carried to the living room, hall & foyer. the trim color goes through out the house. I also use a shade of natural green as a accent such as the back walls of my built in book case. now I am redoing my kitchen cabinets and countertops, however the color combo stays.

Need help deciding on a built-in cabinet color around fireplace

Does your fireplace come out from the wall as far as the one in your inspiration photos? I ask because a drink fridge will require that the whole thing be 24" deep, while usual built-ins are bookcase depth (12"), and it's really different to have something like this next to a fireplace versus engulfing it. Your stone looks pretty shallow. Beyond that, i usually like for built-ins to match trim, but I'm with terry in liking the gray in this instance. In part it's just a very nice match to the brick, in part it's not too dark, and in part it's because it will let your mantel continue to have some presence. But get somebody to draw a mock-up of all this with your fireplace before you proceed. versus

Need help deciding cabinet color

I can’t see thegray working with the other items so maybe just keep all the cabinets the same or do glass door cabinets on that wall. To me you have too many types of wood going on so I would keep the rest of the kitchen simple

Please help! Need to decide on color of cabinets.

If you don’t want the kitchen cabinets to look overly kitchen, you can choose style details that make them look more like furniture, like the feet. (I believe this is considered an ”unfitted” look.) Your kitchen layout is very similar to the one I’m wrangling with for my own remodel, with the sink, DW and stove all on the same wall. On the kitchen hood, I agree. I think it looks cleaner for the cabinet to continue over the hood. BTW, is there any option to get some extra counter space to the right of the stove? Obviously, if you scoot it 6” closer to the sink, you’ll shrink the size of that counter. Do you have a longer counter elsewhere, on the side wall or an island between this wall and the living room?
  • houssaon

The darker gray looks better to me.

• jacksplash

Magnetic grey works really well with that worktop. Would love to see the finished result !

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

You need to decide by looking at all the options together. How does the Crushed Ice work with the white uppers you are choosing? You say that pure white is supposed to be a good neutral white, not too warm or cool, so hopefully it will work out ok. That's a disaster in the making--don't hope, look at both options and then make a definitive decision. My guess would be that using two different whites is not the best choice. One could be a greenish white, the other a purplish white, and you could hate the combination. Do all of the cabinets in the same white, but if you really want two different color cabinets, then choose the combination with the higher contrast, which would probably be the Magnetic Gray and the Pure White.

If you want everyone's opinion then post one photo with pure white, crushed ice, the counter top and floor, and another photo with pure white, magnetic gray, the counter top and floor. And keep in mind that what you see on your computer probably will not be the same as what anyone else sees on their computer--the colors could be totally off, so you need to see them in your room with your lighting to make the best choice.

IMO you need to have good contrast if going with 2 tone cabinets so I guess the one on the left but IMO it does not work with the counter

Lisa Caudill Designs

magnetic grey

• marylut

Lovely countertop and floor choices. Please don’t compare the magnetic gray to the ice white, bc only 1 will be in the room. The pure white will dominate the the top half of the room. DPure white brings out the undertones of the other color. What color does the pure white uppers make the veining look like in the countertop? Does the pure white make the Magnetic Gray too green for you? Does the pure white make the Ice Gray look dingy? Does the pure white with the counter and the cabinet and the floor feel too cold for you or feel balanced? I hesitate to pick 1 cab over the other bc I am not seeing them in your lighting with the other adjacent rooms. Best wishes for a gorgeous kitchen.

• herbflavor

I like the ice [taupe ] color instinctively...but your floor dictates the magnetic option. that is why it is looking green...the floor and lower cabs play off each other. the magnetic is the one....its fine...I just love that taupe shade but only if floor were different and that is a big deal. Take the magnetic.

• E S

Thank you all. Here are some photos with the pure white painted on a 11x17 piece of paper. I love the magnetic gray but my concern is it doesn’t work with the counters. The crushed ice seems to work better because it picks up the tone in the veining but if I go with the magnetic gray, I just want to make sure it doesn’t clash.

Studio Blu

the darker one. Change things up a bit!

• herbflavor

seeing all the elements : you really can do either. You have more info than any viewer can have because it's there in your space.

• Denise W

like the magnetic gray, think you need a different countertop that isn't reading tan to my eyes.

adalisa frazzini

People confuse matching and coordinating. Magnetic gray doesn’t match your countertop, but it DOES coordinate with them beautifully.

• E S

Thank you! I think we’ll go with the magnetic gray. We went to go look at the full slabs of the quartz today and brought the doors. The magnetic gray actually looked really beautiful against it. Thanks for all the input!

• lwfromny

They both still look good to me, but you are there and we aren’t. Are you set on different color upper and lowers? Just asking because it makes all other decisions more complex. If you’re open to same color upper and lowers it will constrain you less.

• Boxerpal

The magnetic gray is very magnetic... Loving your counter and floor options too. Can't wait to see this unfold.

• E S

I am set on white uppers primarily because we are trying to lighten everything up. We don’t get a ton of natural light so I’d like light cabinets at least on top. It definitely does make things more challenging but when we put everything together, it flowed nicely. We are doing our fireplace in white faux brick floor to ceiling so I think the white upper cabinets would balance our open concept living space. Hopefully!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Isn't it amazing what looking at the whole slab and the doors together does for your decision? You probably took one look at the composition and said "that's it"! As adalisa mentioned, coordinating is your goal, not matching, and that's difficult to do when looking closely at a small sample.

• marylut

Thanks for sharing your project dilemma and happy that Houzzers could assist you with your decision. Best wishes

• ptreckel

If you are trying to lighten things up....pay careful attention to your lighting AND to the kind of bulbs that you use. It isn’t just about the surfaces that you choose. Good choices! Good luck!

• E S

Thank you! I appreciate all the feedback. I’ll share after photos!

• dmac1108

Please do share your “after” photos - I hate not seeing the final result!

Lisa Caudill Designs

Looks fantastic

• okpodgu

I love the Magnetic Gray.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Very nice--good choice!

• marylut

Mission accomplished! The kitchen looks light and bright, your choices blend well together, I love the faucet and pulls and knobs, too. Thanks for the “after” photo.

• marylut

BTW, I think your flooring (the bit showing in the photo) looks great with the gold tone hardware.

• Boxerpal

lovely

• Vineetha Hegde

@E S - so gorgeous! In one of the other post you have mentioned that you went with Calypso oak floors. Do you mind telling me what is the wall paint and trim paint color that you went with? I am debating between Cairo oak and Calypso oak. Cairo oak is backordered and Calypso oak seems a little too pale/ yellow in samples. I am very afraid to pull the trigger on Calypso oak.

• E S

We went with sw alabaster white for the walls and SW pure white for the trim. I LOVE alabaster white - so warm and beautiful especially in the sun. To be honest, I wish I went with Cairo. I love the tone of calypso - it’s gorgeous and not as yellow as I thought it would be, but I don’t like the painted bevel. It’s a personal preference but to me, it looks fake. I don’t know if Cairo has painted bevel but I would be careful with looking at photos online because you can’t really see the lines. If you’d like, I can send you photos of my floor so you can see them better.

• E S

Also Calypso is not as pale as the sample. I was afraid of that too. It’s actually very warm and I really do love the tone. It’s just the bevel lines that bother me.

• Vineetha Hegde

Thank you so much for the input. I would love to see some pictures of your floor. Is there a way you can DM me that? Sorry, I am not very familiar with Houzz.

• E S

The tone of it is somewhere between these 2.

• E S

I also like that Cairo was the wider plank. It doesn’t look as busy.

• E S

Has*

• Vineetha Hegde

The floors looks warm and beautiful. They don’t look pale at all. Thank you for the pictures.

• Vineetha Hegde

I can’t tell about the painted bevels from the picture, but the bevels do look more pronounced in your first picture. They still look beautiful though.

• Melissa R

love the kitchen. I'd put up a bamboo shade in the window

• RedRyder

Your kitchen looks fantastic! The lower cabinets look very warm and work well with both the floor and countertop. Enjoy it!

• E S

Thank you! Yes, I wanted to do bamboo / light weave shades in my dining and kitchen!

Beth H. :

ES, you did such a nice job! love the colors.

glad to hear you want to do a blind. I photoshopped a few for you. (think about doing a pendant too,,,

I like this blind. and the white pendants. any way you could squeeze in some window casing?

plain roman shade in sage/gray color

ignore the sconce color, but I do like the look

the silouettes would look nice

blinds.com has a huge selection. you can see samples in HOme depot

• E S

Beth, wow! Thank you!! I love those and gives me some great ideas. Here is a photo of my island with 2 pendants. Do you think having another pendant over the sink is too much?

Beth H. :

so pretty! it's up to you. it looks fine as is. (I actually have the same type of set up and debated on bringing in a pendant. ) since you have plenty of lighting, I think you can get by w/just some type of blind.

(what I would consider for you, is to bring in a salvaged type of vintage door! that would look great

you could always frost or 'mercury' the glass.

• RedRyder

It looks like there is a recessed light right above your sink, so another light is t really needed. The window treatment ideas @Beth H gave you are great. I would only question the silhouettes since they’re hard to clean. A pretty fabric that complements your gorgeous color scheme in a Roman shade comes to my mind.
    The whole room looks great.

• marylut

I agree silhouettes in a kitchen will collect too much odor and grease and grime, based on my experience with them in a den.

• ptreckel

It is possible to wash silhouette blinds. I did it years ago with my honeycomb blinds and know that others have done it with their silhouettes. I did it by immersing them in my bathtub with Dawn detergent, sloshing them around and changing the water until they got clean, then rinsed them in fresh water. Others have used hoses to rinse them. Allow them to hang dry and re-install. Check out discussion about this on Houzz. In other words, don’t rule out Silhouettes if you like them.

Beth H. :

instead of the silhouette, maybe something like the Kombi blinds? Just trying to get that type of look.

However, I think with all of the solid and muted tones, a printed covering w/some colors may look better?

(and, I really liek the salvage pantry door too)

but I do like the woven woods too. you just need the right shade

this is a woven wood in a white tone. I think I like the wood tones better

a type of solar shade (they come in a ton of colors and prints) , shown w/a sconce

I also like this idea. find or make yourself a vintage stained glass or beveled glass piece that's framed to fit perfectly inside the window, and hang it like this. (look on Etsy. they'll custom make anything for you. I had one made for my bathroom window)

• E S

I love all these ideas! I really love the brighter, prints actually. There was something missing - I agree it needs a little color. And I LOVE the idea of a vintage door. I’ll come back and post photos of what we ended up doing. Thanks again!