Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_15

Looking for tips on my Monstera before I repot

Kelly
3 years ago

I bought a moss pole and plan to repot 1-2in bigger soon. Any advice on how to re-center this guy, or is it too late... I thought it might be growing towards the sun so I try to rotate it frequently now, even though its surrounding by south, east and west facing windows. Does anyone else's do this?

Also what do you guys do with the aerial roots? Is it safe to cut them? I usually try to stick them back in the soil but these are so far away from the pot that its hard to.

Comments (9)

• User
    3 years ago

It's always nice to train aerial roots back into the soil if you can, but where you can't--and those you can't--you can cut them off.

Monstera do tend to be a bit...leggy. One reason I don't grow them any longer. But if you can train it around the moss pole, it'll lose that off-center look pretty quickly. There may be some initial hack-and-slash involved that I don't want to hear about, know about, or again...hear about... :-)

Kelly thanked User
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

thru natural processes.. the plant produced the roots ... so why not leave them there.. is it really something that needs to be fixed??? .. i think it adds charm to the plant ...

id probably repot in summer... when i can do it outside ... i would get a bigger pot .. and i would consider planting the existing plant and roots at an angle so the main trunk is more upright ... just like i plant trees and conifers in the yard that have a bit of a lean in the pot ...

it works good .. and its a lot easier than trying to bend it back into a vertical ... if you dont in fact end up snapping off the top ... been there.. done that ...

im am amazed how long the leaf petioles are ... whats that all about ... perhaps lacking a bit of good light ...

if all else fails ... propagate it ...

anyway.. in the jungle.. the mighty jungle ... they are vining plants ... and your is... wait for it.. tending toward vining ... so it might be a losing battle... to make into a tree form ... [now i have to go search the lion sleeps tonight.. lol]....

make a decision on what form you prefer ... and move ahead .. perhaps a new young version is more of what you want ... up to you ... a weemo wop.. a weemo wop ... etc ...lol..

ken

this link: https://bloomscape.com/plant-care-guide/monstera/

says this: Monsteras are unique, easygoing houseplants whose dramatic leaves are adorned with dramatic hole formations. Monsteras are vining plants and love to trail over the pot or climb along a stake or trellis.

They love bright, indirect light, but will be happy under fluorescent lights as well. Monsteras are climbers, so as they grow, they will want to vine out. These impressive plants are also tolerant of the occasional missed watering, making them ideal for inexperienced plant parents.

• User
    3 years ago

Monsteras do that. I can't say that any of mine, or their relatives (pothos, peace lily) object or objected to much of anything, really. They're all on the list of "hard to kill, easy to grow" plants. "Grows like a weed" even in winter is an excellent description, even with light that seems to be at best semi-adequate. I have a pothos I mostly ignore in the bedroom, behind curtains, that just does its thing. I take a shears to it twice a year after re-twining the greenery back around into the soil enough times that no more will fit.

Feed that thing and give it very bright indirect light and it'll go insane in spring, summer, and early fall. Like, 1950's SF movie alien plant from Venus insane. It'll do the moss pole thing beautifully and turn into a gorgeous plant.

Kelly thanked User
  • Kelly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just wanted to give an update, it looks SO much better!

• socks
    3 years ago

Wow, gorgeous! Doesn't even look like the same plant. The pot, is it the same one?

• Kelly Br
    3 years ago

Thank you! Nope it’s a new pot, 2in wider and a bit deeper.

• User
    3 years ago

You trained Mr. Leggy up the pole? Yeah, it looks amazing. And now that it has space?

Stand back.

Kelly thanked User
  • Kelly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Haha thanks! I tilted it completely when I repotted and that made securing it to the moss pole very easy.