anthony_jutchenko

Rustic? Traditional? Help!

Anthony J

Hi all, just moved into my new house yesterday so pardon our mess. The previous owner left a piece for us in the front, but other than that we don’t have much in terms of furniture. I don’t know how which style to go with. I am a young man and people have been telling me traditional furniture is for old people but I think it kind of fits with the house lol. All of the faucets, light fixtures, door handles and hinges are oil rubbed bronze or a dark metal. This is really my first time decorating so if someone can point me in a direction or link a few furniture pieces that would be great. Thanks!

• Jessica

Congrats on your new home! First, I am not a pro. However, My instinct is telling me that the furniture they left for you in the entry way is very traditional/formal and your amazing stonework is not. What do you like? May I suggest that you start to accumulate some idea books here on Houzz and keep track of pics that you like. You can also search for styles in the search function . try: Traditional, Transitional, etc. Which style do you identify with? I learned that I like "transitional" Its your home. Do what you love and what moves you.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Yep, less traditional and more rustic

Why is that area next to the fireplace raised on the floor??? Are you really supposed to place furniture up on that riser and not expect people to trip and fall???? There is hardly enough room for furniture that is large enough for this room.

Tables like these would be better in the foyer.

• decorpatti

Congratulations on your first (and beautiful) home!). Your house does have several elements of traditional style (windows, doors, light fixtures which you might want to change for a more updated look), but can lend itself to a more transitional style, which has elements of traditional style mixed with more modern lines. The stacked stone works well with transitional style...please do as Jessica suggested and look through Houzz for looks that appeal to you. I inherited some absolutely beautiful, high-end classic pieces that we decorated with for years. In the past few years, we have tried to update with more transitional upholstered pieces, but I still love the gorgeous baby grand piano, a tall secretary, and a "contessa" chair that we had reupholstered in a more modern fabric. Good luck, and many happy years in your new home!

• Yvonne Martin

I always drool over the backgrounds in the Design within Reach catalog which shows very sleek modern furniture in grand old houses or apartments. It cane done successfully. You just have to decide what you like and we can help you from there. Make some idea books.

• decoenthusiaste

The chandelier area looks to be for dining, right? Will you make use of that for entertaining or can it serve another purpose? I too am perplexed by the raised floor in front of the fireplace. It makes putting any furniture in the room nearly impossible. First, see what can be done about removing it. Perhaps the wood can be salvaged and recycled into the floor you find underneath if it doesn't match the other flooring. If there isn't enough wood to fill the floor, use it judiciously where it will be exposed and let a nice area rug cover the part that you can't get a match for. Perhaps a good flooring person can match the wood, sand all of it down and re-stain so all of it matches. Once you regain the floor space, we can help you furnish your castle.

• arcy_gw

Sorry, you didn't ask but the raised floor in front of the fireplace is soo distracting. It screams this is the first issue that has to be faced. Perhaps it is just an entry supposed to accommodate two comfy chairs more as a statement than a place to really spend time? It appears the previous owner had something HUGE they wanted to feature over the fireplace. Now that "frame" is just odd. I would need it removed, walls fixed and trim/picture hanging molding matched continued across the wall. Second the credenza by the door...too close to the door. I don't suppose that door is functional but still it's a distracting false impression. This home is quite a leap for a first time home owner with no furniture or preferred style. I agree don't rush, find out what speaks to you as far as style, mood, comfort. This is where you will be living!

• IdaClaire

Congratulations on your new home -- it's beautiful. I love the look of the traditional piece in the foyer against the rough rusticity of the wall. If it were my home, and because I am heavily eclectic in my style anyway, I would take the time to let things evolve. Choose things that you truly love, and allow it to come together organically. To me, the most boring rooms are often those that a designer has completed in one fell swoop. Often, they lack character and real soul. That comes by living in a space and allowing who you are to flow out and be made evident in the things you choose to surround yourself with -- again, because you love them, not because you're seeking any one style or theme or trend.

Take the time to enjoy your space. Buy some basics. Don't rush it; it'll come.

• jck910

Wow quite the house for a young man. There's a lot going on that I would simplify before I started filling rooms with furniture. Do you live there alone? As arcy_gw mentions the raised floor is odd, the frame thing and the molding around the mid-level of the wall are all distracting. Just sell the furniture left for you. And that is the last area I would be decorating in an empty house. Set up a comfortable area for relaxing and the bedroom so the house is livable and hen make a plan for the rest of the home. It's best to have a plan even if it will take a few years to accomplish and just buy stuff.

• housegal200

Beverly totally has it--rustic finishes--raw wood, iron--but with straight lines. All that curvy stuff is the "old people's" ornate style. You do have some structural issues to deal with. #1 is removing that raised floor to open the space. #2 would be removing some of the faux trim so you have smooth, open walls. #3, replace front door panels with plain ones. #2 & #3 can wait, but that raised floor has to go before you buy furniture for what otherwise is a large space.

It's totally worth it--if you have the budget--at this stage to get a designer to help you choose furnishings and paint for your living and dining spaces. Show the person Beverly's choices as the direction to go in. Set aside $$$ for the raised floor removal so you can get sofa, tables, etc. proportional to the entire room--big comfy sofa, for example, which wouldn't fit on that platform. (Owner must've had cushions there or something weird like that.)

Honestly, when young people first buy a place, it winds up being cost effective to hire a professional designer in some capacity--maybe just a consultation--at the outset. They'll steer you to quality pieces that'll fit, that'll last, and that'll work in the space you have. The majority of Design Dilemmas seem to be from new buyers who buy wrong-sized, badly designed stuff that doesn't work in their brand-new home.

• apple_pie_order

What geographical area, roughly? Would you please post an exterior photo showing the whole house?

For new owners, I suggest getting copies of the permits and plans from city hall so you can see if the original plan has been altered by renovations. The permits should be available, the plans may be available.

• housegal200

PS For now and for future questions, yes, please provide photos from all four corners of a space you're asking about. You can post the real estate photos if that's all you have. The Houzz Commentors need to look at the total space, not just a section of it, so that all advice takes adjoining spaces into account. For all we know, maybe you have a huge space for a living room and want to keep the platform with cushions in front of the fireplace for a Playboy mansion element :)

• Yayagal

some ideas

Wayzata Dream Home Great Room · More Info

• Anthony J

Hi all, thank you for all of the comments! I’ve been busy and will read them all in a bit. I am attaching the Zillow link and my floor plan. I’m not too keen on removing the raised floor in the formal living room, I actually kind of like it. But I am open to any suggestions!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1852-Senegal-Date-Dr-Naples-FL-34119/62661197_zpid/?utm_campaign=iosappmessage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

Lisa Caudill Designs

not knowing budget and details you are looking to do right now but the focus on style and furniture is what I will put here. your house speaks Italian chateau to me.

with that in mind here are some ideas and links.

for the raised area, I agree with another post that if you are leaving third as is and furnishing for now the I would go with some show piece chairs and ottoman and tables

deconstructed chairs, 4 with 2 on each side if there is room around an Ottoman in old trunk with small side tables between the chairs on each side. make it a hood conversation glass of your favorite drink or reading a book by the fire kind of area.

https://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/sarreid-29780-welsh-chair-1851944.htm?partid=googlePLA-DataFeed-AccentChairs-1851944&kpid=1851944&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Smart_Shopping_-Furniture-_MultiConverters&utm_term=&utm_content=Furniture_MultiConverters&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxgrqPCs3xDJ3OsILpQBam0yh1I95aIHEf6CvF_jNtR0Lsnk7Ugfyl4aAimPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

for the old trunk, would have to look some more but shop local flea markets and antique shops and add legs if needed for something that would look like below and the dimensions to fit the space.

small round tables (2) between eachbpair of chairs if you can gift all 4
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Alaterre-Furniture-Rustic-Driftwood-Wood-End-Table/1002103136

Round rug like below or an animal hide looking rug

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Unique-Loom-Chateau-Adams-Beige-4-0-x-4-0-Round-Rug-3136082/302778705

Lisa Caudill Designs

I can do an idea book room by room if that helps

• er612

Congrats on the new home. Did you buy the entry table and console? If not, I would sell it and leave the space empty for now. First buy the essentials (accent pieces like an entry table can come later). I would also paint and change the light fixtures.

Lisa Caudill Designs

oh and that large framed area either a nice Tuscan vineyard type painting or large metal scroll wall art piece that fits in it.

also for furniture placement and size lay it out via painters tape to make sure it will all fit right before buying to save some time and headache