linnea56chgo5b

Hand embroidery on satin? Need backing?

We have family Christmas stockings in needlepoint. I embroidered my 2 year old granddaughter’s name on hers for her first Christmas, and it was very challenging to embroider on the needlepoint. It took me two evenings.

We have a new grandchild that arrived right before Christmas. I have her new stocking ready, and bought some green satin so I can embroider on a piece of that, and sew it on the top cuff area of the stocking afterward. Since I'm now a crummy embroiderer, my other daughter volunteered to do it, but not in a rush before Christmas, but now, when she's not busy. But neither one of us have embroidered on satin.

This will be HAND embroidery. I can see this puckering, and I don’t know how to prevent it. I have an embroidery hoop, but I don’t know how much that will help. I do very little embroidery now, so I’m very rusty on these skills or how to get a good result. Should I be using some kind of interfacing under the satin, or will that actually made it harder? Will it make it harder for a hand needle to penetrate?

If interfacing is a good idea, what kind or weight?

Thanks.

Maryland Award Winning Architect | 13x Best of Houzz Winner