Software
Houzz Logo Print
jaxkats

Backsplash ideas needed

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi! We are nearing the end of our kitchen remodel and I’m stuck on a backsplash!! I had originally thought I would go with a subway tile and something more decorative over rangetop, but now I’m not 100% sure! I do also visualize arabesque. The walls will be Benjamin moore balboa mist land counters will be Taj Mahal quartzite. Tiles are not grouted yet, but will be dark brown. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Taj counter slabs...

Inspo pic...


Comments (19)

  • 5 years ago

    Congratulations on your new kitchen, it will be beautiful. If you’ve read a lot of past Houzz posts you’ll see many regretting their choice of backsplash. What a mistake and a fix you don’t want to deal with. I’d suggest getting the entire kitchen finished and live with it and then decide what color would work or what color is missing. Do you want it to pop or do you need something subdued? Biggest mistake seems to be competing with and too busy with the countertop. Please wait, as hard as that is.

  • 5 years ago

    I have Taj Mahal as a fireplace surround. It is beautiful, and I have always thought it would be amazing as a countertop. Waiting is a good idea. We have waited too. But with the pandemic the backsplash is still on hold. We will get there...

  • 5 years ago

    Wait until counters are installed and walls are painted before you decide. Your counter likely will have a lot of activity. Even if it didn’t, your cabinets have a LOT of activity. I would be getting a backsplash that literally blends into the background and you don’t notice and let the other stuff shine.



  • 5 years ago

    Thank you!! I updated my post to include a pic of my slabs and backslash idea I envision...mine would be off white not bright white

  • 5 years ago

    Backsplash challenges are probably the highest percentage of questions on this website. What we have all learned is — wait. Wait till your entire kitchen is installed. Wait till your lighting is installed. THEN look at backsplash options. You have only seen your stone slab vertically. When it is installed in your house, it will look different. Please don’t rush this last step. Your kitchen is already going to be fantastic.

  • 5 years ago

    I am still struggling. so I am posting to follow. LOL. Beautiful cabinets by the way.

    I would do the same backsplash throughout as it's more timeless.


  • 5 years ago

    You have a lot of detail in your cabinets. I’d do the Taj Mahal for the backsplash also. Only concern is in the picture the cabinets are looking yellowish/ pinkish Taj is more gray. Maybe it’s just my monitor but would like to see a sample against your cabinets

  • 5 years ago

    Your cabinetry is full of details. I would keep the backsplash simple: either use the same material as the counter or just match one color in the counter material and use matching grout. Do not use dark grout.

  • 5 years ago

    I like hope your inspiration pic the backsplash is very calm and simple subway tile. Because you have so much detail everywhere else you don’t want to as more here.

  • 5 years ago

    Posting to echo what others are recommending. Something very simple, quiet, and unobtrusive, with no “special effects” anywhere. Otherwise the kitchen will come off as too busy looking.

  • 5 years ago

    Adding to perhaps clarify - the inspiration pic is beautiful. However the reason that that look is a good one is that the other elements is the kitchen are less detailed than yours. The inspo has plain shaker cabinets, no glaze, simpler corbels on the hood, no decorative posts flanking the range, etc. That’s why you will be best off with no special tile effects (also no contrasting grout just in case you were pondering that) - you have special effects already and too many would be... well, too many 😊.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you all for your advice!! The Taj Mahal is more than I could’ve imagined! 😍! I have narrowed backsplash down to these 2 colors...a light cream which blends perfectly or a White which my husband likes but I think it will be too much of a contrast. Not 100% sure on arabesque square by rangetop but wanted to have option. Thoughts???


    both options...off white/beige are 2 styles on left, white are the 2 styles on right.

    off white/beige option 👇🏼


    White option👇🏼



  • 5 years ago

    Your countertop is really pretty! Can you take some pictures of the space from further back to see how much backsplash, what else is there etc.hard to pick the entire backsplash when only seeing a small snippet.

  • 5 years ago

    I know! Im sorry it’s so hard to see from pics. This one is a little further back...


    And this is that whole wall (excuse the Starbucks bags!)....



  • 5 years ago

    I love to elongated subways in cream. They allow your gorgeous counters and cabinets to shine.

  • 5 years ago

    That is helpful to see the entire space. I definitely think cream over white. I would think the subway would be less busy but then again with the areas that jet out on the side and above, maybe something to take the attention away from squares and unify the two sides of the window would be good like the arabesque pattern OR a darker taupe for the same reason. It could get tricky with the paint color for the bump out areas too as you don’t want to draw attention to them. Maybe a bold window valance would do the same thing. I’d probably do a little more work and thinking on the paint color, where exactly the tile will go-start and stop, window treatment before I jumped into buying a tile too quickly.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    the creamy subways are nice. But I think it's just going to blend in w/the cabs/countertop. If that's the look you're after, do that. maybe a herringbone design? (not just over the cooktop)







    forget the arabesque in the white


    have you looked at Encore Ceramics? they have some beautiful glaze colors and tiles in all sorts of shapes and sizes.


  • 5 years ago

    Not the white, in any size or shape. Stick with the creamy look but consider what @Beth H is saying about making it more interesting without stealing the show from your star - the countertop.