Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Ode to Ness Crinkle Blue and Rose Bouquet

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This past year I decided to try my hand again at something other than Optimara, after almost a decade. I tried years ago as a novice and I was killing everything not Optimara, so I gave up specialties for a long time.

I am glad I decided to try again because I found two new loves:

Roque Bouquet and Ness Crinkle Blue. These are the most beautiful AV-s I have ever grown. Rose bouquet is still very small but even so, it has bloomed really well. I wonder how big it gets and how much bloom it has at maturity, if it is so beautiful even small. It is listed as standard but so far it looks more like a semi-miniature to me. Somehow, it is a slow grower but a fast bloomer. Very interesting.

I seem to be much better at this than I was years ago when I was killing all specialties. Now I want to propagate more of these two beauties as I would hate to lose them.

These two would be the first two in my Top 5 (If You Could Only have Five).

And since I brought this up....this is what I would pick based on experience:

1. Rose Bouquet (pink mini-roses, that says it all)

2. Ness Crinkle Blue (perfect blue mini-roses)

3. Optimara Ontario (amazingly vigorous, great bloomer, pristine white)

4. Optimara Stephanie (as close to true blue as I know)

5. Rob's Vanilla Trail (still small, but if I could get it to maximum performance at maturity it is a stunner).

Ontario

Stephanie

Rob's Vanilla is still working on its blooms...

Comments (15)

• fortyseven_gw
    3 years ago

Great job with those two. R.B. can be fussy. Congrats! Joanne

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked fortyseven_gw
  • Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Aegis and Joanne. So far so good.

Joanne, when you say "fussy" what do you mean? I wouldn't want to make any faux pas and lose it.

My goal for this AV right now is to get it to grow bigger as it is still very small in foliage.

As a standard, I would have expected it to grow more by now.

• fortyseven_gw
    3 years ago

I could not grow it well. The foliage was very, very slow for me. You did a great job. J

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maybe RB is just a slow grower small standard. I don't mind as long as she keeps producing these amazing blooms.

• fortyseven_gw
    3 years ago

It is an oldie.

• party_music50
    3 years ago

The first two are especially beautiful! I actually prefer semi-minis because I can fit in more plants. :) Re your standards not growing fast enough, what size is the pot? Smaller pots will effectively keep the plant smaller.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Party,

RB is still in the 2.5-3 inch square pot in which it came. I did not change it because the plant is hardly three times the diameter, so I don't think it is the pot that's limiting it. Besides, others arrived in the same pot and grew large than 3 times the diameter.

Tiger was sent in a tiny cup, with leaves way larger than 3 times the diameter...and it will soon a new container.

RB just stays small. But like I said, if it offers the quality bloom it offered me, I am good even with small foliage.

• irina_co
    3 years ago

Rose Bouquet is a small standard, so if it less than 12" across... you only repot to refresh the soil.

Great Job!

Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA thanked irina_co
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am bringing this thread back to add an Ode to Optimara Stephanie, even though I am not even 100% sure it's her and not some other variety; but I think it is.

She is blooming like a fool again, very soon after the previous bloom I posted above. She's a wonderful, prolific classic and as close to the coveted 'true blue' color as I've seen an AV get.

I also wanted to add I still have Ness' blooms above.

They've lasted for almost two months, maybe more. It's an incredible plant with extremely long-lasting blooms. A jewel of the AV world, I would say. Would not be caught without it these days.

I am rooting a leaf but I need to get a few more going, just in case.

• judy musicant
    3 years ago

My Rose Bouquet came in a 4" pot from pjsviolets on EBay. She grew quickly and is one of my favorites. She's about 9" in diameter. I put her into a 3 1/2" Oyama pot and she will stay there, although I think she's get bigger if I put her into a 4" pot. She seems to like my conditions. I have a baby Crinkle Blue that a grew from a leaf exchange last spring. It's growing frustratingly slowly, but seems healthy.

Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow Judy! That's amazing. For me, conditions it's exactly the other way around. Rose Bouquet stays very small and has barely grown at all - but has produced the nice blooms above, though nowhere as beautiful as yours.

Ness has grown much larger. Goes to show what different conditons can do to the same plant.

• judy musicant
    3 years ago

I only hope my Crinkle Blue can look as good as yours.

• joyfulsu
    3 years ago

Those top two are gorgeous!

• 1beautylover2012
    3 years ago

Last year I paid for Rose Bouquet, but a seller sent me Rebel's Rose Bud. Very disappointed.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz