Software
Houzz Logo Print
msalazar11

Is This Tile Installed Wrong?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello,

We bought a spec house and they've just put down the tile. Problem is that the spec sheet says 'horizontal brick pattern' and I was expecting it to be laid at 50/50, running where it shifts a each layer over, or 'randomly' where no specific pattern can be discerned. Instead, they set it down at what I call the perforated lines pattern where it's 80/20. Two lines kind of match up and alternate. I hate this. So. Much.

I will never unsee the stupid lines polluting my vision as I enter my home, and from the side, the up-down-up-down is horrendous.

We had planned to lay more tile on our own in the living room. But if this hideousness stays, we'd have to rip everything out.

Does this type of pattern fall into the 'horizontal brick pattern look? What would you do in this case if the builder doesn't budge? Rip it up and fix it after closing? Cancel the purchase?





Comments (33)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    This is the pattern that may be recommended by the manufacturer to avoid grout/tile failure. I've seen similar wordage on some brick tile that we have picked out for our mudroom. It mentions "no running bond." I know, I don't like it either!

  • 5 years ago

    That is NOT a horizontal brick pattern.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Your builder is faced with eating a tile job or letting you go. Were I him and the market hot, I'd say "Adios" to you. He could probably sell the home for more to someone who isn't bothered by the tile pattern.

  • 5 years ago

    With large 12” x 24” tile, it’s my impression that a 50% offset is not recommended since it may result in a greater degree of lippage. We used a 1/3 offset for our floor tile. I agree, the pattern in your floor would bother me too, but may be less noticeable if matching grout is used. Not an ideal solution, however.



  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    "Horizontal brick pattern" is a loose definition that could encompass what appears to be a 1/3 running bond.




  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Does the tiles recommend 1 /3 offset?

    Make sure your grout is the same color.

    Here’s my bathroom floor, 1/3 offset.

    I guess I am missing something as I don’t see it as hideous, or a reason to rip it out.

  • 5 years ago

    I would not be happy with that layout and personally I don't love that tile either.

    If you like everything else about this house, I would just carpet the rest of the downstairs with the builder basic carpet and change out the tile and carpet at a later date.


    I refuse to do 1/3 offset and will pay up for a tile guy that has the ability to lay it well at 1/2 offset. I also try to buy good quality tiles that are straight/square and flat.

  • 5 years ago

    The repeat in the fake stone pattern bothers me more than the actual tile layout.


    If it isn't grouted yet, try very hard to pick the grout color yourself--if it blends, the tile layout will bug you less until you change it.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    @eld6161, your tile isn't like mine. Yours steps down on each row, unlike mine that steps up and then back down, if that makes sense. Your tile is very nice and what I describe as "running where it shifts a each layer over". I'm no pro.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    It is one of ways of pattern. It looks for me. Think out of the box.

  • 5 years ago

    @Fori, I agree on the stamped pattern too! I guess it's something that I can overlook since it is a builder grade material. The 'modifiable' element is the tile pattern and they're screwing that up.

  • 5 years ago

    All, I talked it over with the hubby. If the builder doesn't modify the tile, we think we'll forgo the after-closing project were were planning that involved tearing out the carpet in the living room with this same tile. We're thinking we can live with this for a few years (we may go ahead and do this before we move in), then replace the tile through the main hallway all the way into the living and formal dining with solid wood or wood look tile. We will likely leave this tile/tile pattern in the the small hallway that's just past the study (on the left) and into the laundry, and in the kitchen/dinette area. I'll have to look at what they are doing in the master bath, which connects to the laundry.


    At our prior home, we had hired workers to install tile in the living room where the builder there too had put in carpet. Our tile did not match the tile the builder put in the hallway (standard square against wood look tile) and kitchen/dinette, and it was always a sore spot for me. The workers, bless them, installed it THIS SAME HIDEOUS WAY there too and we had them correct the problem once we saw it halfway through their installation. #relivingrenonightmare

  • 5 years ago

    It's one thing to move into a place that has moofy tile, but to see it being installed and being unable to do anything to stop it must be very frustrating!


    On the bright side, it looks incredibly well-installed. Look how flat it is!


    Think of it as an excuse to get some fabulous area rugs.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Tile installers have to follow the manufacturer's recommendations to warrant the material.

    I have added 'grout' to the image that matches the background color of the tile. The pattern will be less apparent.




  • PRO
    5 years ago

    " We're thinking we can live with this for a few years (we may go ahead and do this before we move in), then replace the tile through the main hallway all the way into the living and formal dining with solid wood or wood look tile."


    You are fooling yourself. Fix it or pass. Money comes and goes, but that tile is gonna bug you every single time you see it every single day. It's not worth it. Once you move in, it's even a bigger hassle to change and that becomes another rationalization as to why you don't.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    It is not wrong, it is just not what you expected.

  • 5 years ago

    Maybe after you put down area rugs and furniture it won’t be as bad.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    A 1/3 offset is recommended for rectangular tiles over 18" and installed in a brick joint pattern to avoid lippage. Kudos to your tile installer for understanding this.

  • 5 years ago

    Honestly, I looked at the picture for a minute and could not understand the problem. It looks fine. To pass on a house for an unexpected tile pattern seems a little much to me. I totally understand that when you build a home, you expect to pick out every detail, but things do happen and details get overlooked. Was this discussed in your contract? If it was in the contract and you missed it, no way are they going to fix it. They will be on to the next buyer.

  • 5 years ago

    This is NOT a 1/3 offset.

  • 5 years ago

    Totally agree with cpartist- NOT a 1/3 offset. Also agree with OP that it’s not an attractive pattern - it would bug me too. But if they won’t change it I agree that the best solution is area rugs. If you walk away the next builder may do something worse that you don’t like and didn’t foresee.

  • 5 years ago

    To Enjoy your final result, that is the resting place.

    ace.

  • 5 years ago

    Put me in the matching grout, area rug camp.

    Also put me in the - hate repetitive pattern just as much if not more camp.

    Lastly, put me in the generally disliking tile floor camp. Cleaning grout? Hardness? Repetitive patterns on something that is supposed to look like unique stone?

  • 5 years ago

    what I don't understand is why aren't you putting in the tile that you want NOW and putting it where you want NOW?? "A few years" is going to fly by and you will have to empty the house to do the things you want.


    Having just purchased a new build house...and delayed doing some things that "we can do ourselves after closing"...boy, I WISH I had paid the upgrade cost/fees...WHATEVER it took moneywise to not have to deal with the crap now!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    IMO they did a nice job laying the tile out, it looks really good, not to mention the workmanship is superb.

  • 5 years ago

    Put me in the less popular group. I like it. I think it looks good. A different pattern

  • 5 years ago

    If I where the builder, in this market I'd say "See ya!" and sell the house to someone else who isn't bothered by the tile...and probably for more money!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    IMO they did exactly what was needed with the tile you chose and good on thme . As mentioned this is just one way to do a horizontal brick pattern and is usully decided with a darawing and the maunfacture of the tile advice.

  • 5 years ago

    Agree with choosing the grout carefully, Beverly’s mock-up looks a lot better than the dark lines.

  • 5 years ago

    Prior to having my tile installed, my tiler showed me all kinds of patterns that would be acceptable and look good. Your pattern was one of them. I picked out the grout color so it would lend in with my tile.
    I agree that your tile looks well laid out. If you get a matching grout color, then the pattern will look good and blend well.

  • 5 years ago

    How often does tile go "bad" and forces people to try to rely on some minimal warranty? I've never heard of any, in all the years I have been on this site. I'll take my chances with a pattern that I find pleasing and will have to look at for a long time!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I just came across this similarly bonded stone flooring entry to a multi-million dollar country estate home.

    (But, of course, I'd bet that nine of ten "designers" here couldn't whip out their recommendations to white paint the "old fashioned" oak paneling fast enough. Then remove the stone and slap down thin white marble 4x4 slabs.)