Software
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_dercole

Split Level Exterior Help! Need Advice!

5 years ago

We just purchased this home, and I think it has potential for great curb appeal. I'm just stuck! What would you do to spruce up the exterior?
Paint colors? I've thought about keeping the white but with black window trim. I like that look but don't know how it would fit this house. How would black trim look against the brick? I like the brick but can paint it if necessary. Open to any ideas!
Door color... would like something bright that pops. The door right now just kind of disappears. I like turquoise but does that clash against the green yard and trees?
Shutters or no shutters? Color?
Open to any ideas beyond paint as well! Please help!

Comments (19)

  • 5 years ago

    Great looking split level. I would remove the shutters on the middle section. They seem odd on the casement windows. Remove the doohickey on the gable. I don't particularly care for black window trim and I don't think black windows suit this house. Maybe paint the white section to match the brick and then the trim 2 shades darker. Choose a color that complements the brown roof for the door and shutters. Then landscaping will make a tremendous difference

  • 5 years ago

    Do you have a way to brick the siding area? That would be my first goal. If not I think I’d do stucco there. The side seems to just not fit. Stucco the same color as the brick. The shutters are fine. Pretty color. Definitely new, more detailed front door. Maybe a Dutch style? Or something salvaged antique looking. Where’s the walkway to the door? I’d probably update that. Add some lighting. And landscaping. Very cute home!!

  • 5 years ago

    I think the house itself looks nice now. I would pick a brighter color for the front door, and get some bright pots with colorful flowers for by the front door. Also, the rest of the landscaping needs some improvement. The flat top bush, needs to be removed. You need to add more plants. Maybe have a landscaper draw up a plan and then do the landscaping little by little.

  • PRO
    5 years ago



  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for that mock up. I was considering removing the shutters from that part of the house. it was just looking too cluttered, and I like the look without them now seeing it!

    I also like the darker gable.

    I'm now considering painting the white siding a warmer cream color and the window frames a few shades darker so they pop as suggested by another poster.

    Still stuck on the door color. Or should I replace the door... some sort of natural wood?

  • 5 years ago

    "Choose a color that complements the brown roof for the door and shutters."

    Agree the current door and shutter color isn't the best with the roof, at least in the photos.

    Seeing Beverly's example makes me wonder if the trim around the middle windows should match the shutters and gable...?

  • 5 years ago

    I was thinking a deeper navy for the shutters. I like blue and it looks good with brown, but there's something about the current color that just seems off to me.

    Navy window frames in that middle section might work. I'm going to have to play around with photoshop.

  • 5 years ago

    Elizabeth, is the roof brown or kind of a red/brown?

  • 5 years ago

    It does have a bit of red in it.

  • 5 years ago

    The white siding seems too stark/contrasty, making it stick out like a sore thumb. I'd try to reside in a color that blends with the brick. It will look more cohesive that way. In addition to removing the shutters up top on the siding, I would also remove the lower shutters as well. You can paint the front door any color that looks good with the brick. As far a shutter color, I'm partial to green or black. Have fun. Looks like a great place to live.

  • 5 years ago

    Just remove the shutters and see how that looks. I don't think painting windows with black is going to enhance the house--just adds another element and you do have a brown roof, not black. A much warmer white for the middle would work better with yellow stone and brown roof.


    Save $$$ for a beautiful landscape design to further beautify the house. But what you have is pretty nice right now. It's important in a newly purchased house to go a year before making landscaping changes so you can see how the plantings look in all seasons. It's great you have quite a few evergreens for year round color--and no leaves to rake!

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks and I agree the white is too stark. I've also been thinking of hunter green shutters.

  • 5 years ago

    I like this color scheme a lot. Even though the roof in this pic is gray, I have a similar color brick. I think the green looks good with it.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Here's a color combination that might work with your yellow stone and brown roof for the middle--warm taupe/greige; light taupe trim. Notice some of the reddish plantings to link stone/roof to landscaping.

  • 5 years ago

    I like that a lot thanks.

  • 5 years ago

    You were already onto something with the Black Evergreen, but the green/taupe/greige has to have some gold/taupy gold in it to echo the warmth of the stone and roof.

  • 5 years ago

    If the roof does have some red in it, I think the BE, BT and HH color combo could work with it. Navy can be iffy and sometimes clash with a red/brown roof IMO.

    I agree it's a great looking home!

  • 5 years ago

    I agree and thing the green/taupe/cream is the way to go here. Bonus it blends with the natural landscape much better than the blue.

  • 5 years ago

    Update with what you’ve done! I’m considering removing shutters and I want to see how other houses look. Thanks!!