Software
Houzz Logo Print
pjlampe

Ideas?

13 years ago
Need design ideas for space to right and left of two story fireplace. Hoping to have space for media center. Spaces are 44 inches wide, 24 inches deep. Would like to replace existing furniture with pieces of interest in a balanced way that isn't dwarfed by the height of the room.

Comments (22)

  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. The original design was for built in book cases on each end. I thought that might have been boring. I have an antique Chinese altar table in the foyer and thought it might be interesting to incorporate some Asian influences. I was concern that there is to much wood on the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Beautiful room! If you don't need more furniture (which you don't!) I would love to see some beautiful simple Asian Art. I'll see what I can find!
    pjlampe thanked sharon3986
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would paint the ceiling a darker color and hang a large, interesting chandelier. This would draw the eye down and stop at the chandelier.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm thinking big / long framed art (or maybe even wallpaper, or framed wallpaper). Some ideas:

    http://www.davidreidartist.com/zoom_current.php?category_id=3&project_id=135
  • 13 years ago
    I love the picture of the beautiful bathroom. It is a very elegant room.
  • 13 years ago
    Great art work. The web site has some beautiful pictures and would love to purchase a print. I have a couple of original oil painting of flowers in the room. Do you think I can mix oriental pictures with these?
  • 13 years ago
    You could probably bring the oils together through either colour (getting the Asian Art to pick up a colour from the oils) or drawing a link with the framing. The beautiful thing about Art is that if you love it, you find a way for it to go together!
    pjlampe thanked sharon3986
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Regardless if you are modern or traditional, you should put one long mirror on each side of the fireplace (the same of course) and then maybe small sitting chairs in front of them. It will add light and drama to your space with the reflective quality.
    pjlampe thanked Signature Designs Kitchen | Bath | Interiors
  • 13 years ago
    I used two sections of an Asian screen on either side of my fireplace. Attached with French cleat. Found the screen in a second hand shop. Good luck.
    pjlampe thanked K P
  • 13 years ago
    Whether you go with the screens or shelves to flank the fireplace, I would make sure that the tops are level with arch on the right side of the image.
    pjlampe thanked Teresa S-j
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I do like the idea of a chandelier.. large, with a long drop.
    pjlampe thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • 13 years ago
    I think the idea of an Asian screen is intriguing. Do you have any pictures?
  • 13 years ago
    You're getting very interesting advice above. I just wanted to say your room is like a Vermeer painting, but grander. Another Flemish artist, perhaps. Heavens to Betsy, the light! Cherish it. I would go for simplicity here, don't overdress.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Rina for your kind words. I do love the room and we are blessed to look out on to a small body of water. This was a home that we had built about 7 years ago and it just hasn't quite come together. I love seeing the decorating ideas on this web site and love to see a truly finished room. Hopefully with a little help it will.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    This Living Room originally had no mantle and no hearth. The chimney was exposed brick and the alcove next to the fire place was bare. These clients spent their honeymoon on the Orient Express and they love furniture that evokes the 1800's. So I had the walls sheet rocked and then painted to resemble lime stone.
    The mirror and mantle are over-scaled to make the height less imposing. The medallion inlay over the book case is the insignia of the Orient Express.
    For your Living Room I'd use lighting to reduce and warm up the space. Built in furniture might help but you will still be left with a tremendous void. You could mount a pair of sconces at 65" off the floor and hang art below but even bolder will work too. Stack a set of photos or prints in great frames one over the other to about 10" below the crown of your mirrored over-mantle. Light them from the ceiling with focused spots so they are highlighted. Don't use dark images or ornate frames. Drop a pendant fixture over the piano.
  • 13 years ago
    What a beautiful room you designed. Thanks for the helpful suggestions.
  • 13 years ago
    A suggestion -- two short cabinets either side of the fireplace, the one on the right to hold the media stuff and the screen above it. That's the only place I can envisage a TV screen from this view. Three paintings on the left, similar style, same frames, the top of the top painting to rise comfortably above the mirror. On the right, a long tapestry, lining up with the top painting on the left and falling to just above the screen. A red glass vase on the left to echo the red lampshades on the right. The problem with this is that you couldn't conveniently watch TV from the sofa where it is now, you'd have to turn it to face the screen, which would sadly block the open view of your beautiful carpet. This picture's got blurrier every time I saved it, but I think you can see what I mean. I hope it's useful.
  • 13 years ago
    Rina,
    Your idea seems to balance the room and add the much needed height. How did you create this image? What a great way to visualize a design before investing in furniture. The outlet for the TV is on the wall close to the window so the media center would have to stay on that wall. I was also thinking that the current lamps were too tall and thin. What do you think? I appreciate the time and effort that you spent on this design.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi again. Oh dear. Do you mean the TV has to go next to the fireplace on the left? Isn't there an awful lot of screen reflection there? Ah well ... You may be right about the current lamps; it could be well worth looking for alternatives. As for the drawing, it is more than a pleasure. I use an oldish version of Microsoft Paint. It's pretty basic, but a few years back I had a passion for drawing imaginary rooms (all sorts of rooms) and I slowly taught myself to make it happen with Paint. Sadly, I ran out of rooms in my head but now I have yours and others' rooms to play with. Maybe mine will come back again.
  • 13 years ago
    Actually the TV is currently in that location and really doesn't have a glare. It must be the angle it is facing. Thanks again for your help. Keep creating!
  • 13 years ago
    That's good. No glare is good. Thank you, I'll play as long as I can. I wish you joy of your room.