Software
Houzz Logo Print
annie_bryant

Vaulted ceiling help! Big walls, open concept...

5 years ago

We have an open-concept house with a vaulted ceiling in the dining room/kitchen. I'm looking for some ways to decorate, provide some visual interest on the walls. Hanging rug/blanket could work on one wall (maybe above the kitchen), but seems I wouldn't want to add multiple of those. The wall with the windows used to be a red-accent wall and I'm not interested in having that wall as an accent wall again. Any ideas minus just getting really big art?



Comments (14)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Decorate down at eye level, giant art a story above your head is usually overwhelming

  • 5 years ago

    I would add a rug for some color at ground level and replace the hanging light fixtures. They are heavy and break up the openness.

  • 5 years ago

    It is also an issue that sound seems to really travel in the house and I thought adding something to the walls could help. I would never want to close it in as we have a lovely view.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Whats on the other side where the dining table is? Do you plan to paint the window moldings? Can you share a picture more centered ?

  • 5 years ago

    I would personally skip anything high. I love the look you have now. I would however change your island chairs & maybe your lighting. What type of bulbs do you have now?

  • 5 years ago

    And rugs and runners for the sound.

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with others, a large rug under your table, and a runner between your wall cabinets and the island.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    "Hanging rug/blanket could work on one wall (maybe above the kitchen)..."

    I would not hang anything "above the kitchen" that grease and gunk would damage. You only have an OTR MW and they usually don't do a very good job at venting FOGSS (fumes, odors, grease, smoke, steam), even when they're vented to the outside. That means those FOGSS will rise and land on anything above the Kitchen, so don't put anything up there you might have to periodically take down to clean/wash.

  • 5 years ago

    I think it looks lovely. Adding rugs will ground the space. Please don't add stuff above

  • 5 years ago

    Nothing hung above, its Getting a busy feel already, with the open shelves and stuff by sink, rugs and runner, carefully chosen, will make this nice area awesome!

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Rugs and soft drapes help with the sound issue and I agree nothing hung there .IMO one more reason to not have vaulted ceilings

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks everyone. We have small kids, so I've avoided any rugs under the tables. Our floor gets so gross, and I figured rugs would just get pretty yucky! I've heard you all loud and clear on the nothing above :)


    The next thing I'd like to work on is replacing the sconces on the walls to something more updated. I like the pendant lights as they add some color and visual interest to the space.


    Does anyone know of rugs that are easily washable for high-traffic spaces?


    Also, I've added a "before" picture below. This was what it looked like before we bought the house. I don't have budget for major remodels, so trying to chate things that give the most bang for the buck.


  • 5 years ago

    I personally hate rugs because they are hard to keep clean. Your place looks nice and uncluttered. I would not add rugs just for color unless you like cleaning rugs. Depending on your style, Barnlight Electric has some great lights including sconces. They are beautiful lights and made in USA. They come in many colors.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21