Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Window Treatment - Bathroom Double Awning

Carrie B
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

What kind of window treatment(s) should I use? I don’t want to reduce light any more than I have to, and I don't want to put a film on the windows.

The handle in the middle, for the top window, juts out about a quarter of an inch into the room, so I don't think I can do interior-mount, unless I do two separate blinds or shades.

I don’t have air-conditioning so both windows are open most of the summer.

Comments (71)

• Louise Smith
    2 years ago

Can you change the cranks to foldable cranks?

Amazon.com : folding window crank handle

Carrie B thanked Louise Smith
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

then hang the plants from the ceiling! super cute.

what would you think about getting a smaller mirror? (if you do that, it would open up that wall space a bit more)

this is almost like your little vanity

you can still have the medicine cab mirror, it would just be a bit thinner. maybe switch out the light above? (I know i'm changing out your entire bathroom! but I see little fixes here and there you might like) You can find some decent lights for under 100 bucks. depending on the type of mirror you want, you could still find something inexpensive.

if you need the storage space, this is something else you could do. atop those white tiles run a wood shelf across that spot

or, think about doing a floating vanity like this, which will give you more storage, then you can do a smaller mirror, and run the wood shelf across your tiles.

but I do think changing out the yellow wall paint will make a huge difference, as well as you blind. that oversized curtain hogs up the wall

i think you could trim out the window down to where the tile begins.

as for the wall color, you just have to find the right shade! and then bring in the other accents. it's a cute bathroom

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much, Beth. I’ve disliked this bathroom for a while, so I’ve been fighting it and making it worse. I especially don’t like the little accent trim - and I'm a horticulture professional!

Below is a photo of the big medicine cabinet in the light above. I agree that it is too big, visually, though I do use the storage space. I’m afraid that it might be a bigger project than I'm ready for to switch them out...

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Photos.

My partner says he can trim out my windows, I just have to be a little patient. ;-) (none of my windows had trim originally.)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What would you think about painting the bathroom white, and just using green towels?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I think the white would also look nice. and bring in your plants!

when it's time to redo the vanity, go for something w/more storage. you can get another medicine cabinet that isn't from 1985, and still have storage!

home depot

all sorts of other storage options that don't require that beast. and it's brother "the honking' light bar"!!

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/open-box/richter-22-inch-wide-nickel-and-glass-3-light-bath-light__38m05.html

just removing those two items will visually enlarge the space.

get another storage cab for over the toilet.

or, can you squeeze in one of these cubby towers?

If you're on a budget, shop around. you don't have to spend a lot. replacements can be had for well under $200.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, Beth! There’s so much I would like to do in this bathroom. There’s not much room to add storage, so I could substitute the art behind the toilet for small cubbies.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

that vanity is 18, 19"? you could exchange it for a 24 or maybe a 30", regular 22" deep vanity, ( I see at least 4-6" where you can come forward) with drawers. that will give you more storage.

Here. just like your space. this would be perfect. (except do a new light over the cabinet)

here's a 24" a bit more sink space. if you floated that shelf between sink and mirror, you'd get more room for your stuff.

24" vanity. shelving. smaller mirror and new lights.

this sink is smaller than yours. look at the mirror w/storage (or make your own) look at how they got more storage over the toilet. even using the top of the toilet for extra space. good idea

look, countertop space! (30" model) if you can squeeze in a 30", even better

I think you could do this w/no problem. (get the drawers on the vanity) you get more countertop space too.

Both of these are 30" vanities.

shelves are your friend here. make these easy, and for next to nothing.

or even a floating vanity. underneath, bring in some baskets that fit underneath and offer more storage.

here's the floating one.

get some lower baskets to fit underneath for hair products.

what you currently have is prob the worst thing on the market for any counter space or storage!

what if you did something like this? 24" vanity (this has a vessel sink, but you don't have to do that), but look at this mirror! No need for lights above it. they have a light in the ceiling and this mirror has under lighting.

another smaller vanity. shelving, and a mirror w/a shallow medicine cabinet. You could easily do something like this.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, Beth! I love those vanities.

My vanity is 24" wide by 18" deep. If I went with 30", which would fit, that would give me 2" clearance from the toilet. I think code requires 15" from the center of the toilet to edge of vanity, is that correct? If that's correct, I really can't fit a larger vanity in there. If I can get a wider vanity, I'd have to put the trashcan in there, which would look nicer, but would eat up storage. (and, obviously, the trash can't fit in a drawer...)

I really like the idea of getting a smaller medicine cabinet and switching out the lights, as a start.

Also, ordered a wood blind, and planning on painting as soon as my crazy work season is past!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

well you aren't going to make code w/the 24" one either! based on your math, you're at 8" now?

In any case, it's your bathroom. code police aren't coming by to check. save the vanity you have and put it back if and when you need to sell, but I wouldn't worry about it. with small bathrooms like that, you have to do what you have to do.

as for trashcan, look for a thinner, rectangle shape and stick it on the other side. Or, a vanity w/a door, you could store it in there.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

15 inch from the center of the toilet means I am within code plus about an inch or two!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

well I guess you're free from any citations!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha ha. More worried that my contractor wouldn’t do it unless it was to code.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

it's not a huge deal. 6 more inches isn't going to stop the earth. you're paying him. sign a release form if you want. but having a vanity that creeps over 6" isn't going to cause any issues.

But, if you think it will, then check out some of the 24" versions. just make sure they're the 22" depth. you'll still have more storage.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think some on here put the fear of death on me about all things being to code during my recent master bath remodel!

Bathroom is now primed. I have the bamboo shade as well. I think the medicine cabinet, lighting and maybe vanity will be a project for next year.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Now, to select paint color. My new master bath is alabaster (white) from Sherwin-Williams, Green is another possible color though I’ve had an aversion to green paint - maybe it's time for me to get over myself.... Looking through paint chips.

Thank you all so much and I am still open to your thoughts!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Am I on the right track?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thinking this might be the winner. Green, but neutral and subtle and looks decent with the tile. Thoughts?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Yes, on the right track I think! My vote is “Quietude” 6212. The lightest green might come out too minty & the darkest green too dark for space. I’d definitely do a paint color test with sample just to make sure you like it. I’m my experienc, greens can be really tricky. I do really like the ivy border tiles on your walls.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are the two side-by-side. A few angles, lights on and off.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Of course, white is an option, and I already have the paint.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

My vote is still 6212 Quietude. Rainwashed looks very mint color on my screen. Paint samples are the only true test - paint on a bigger poster board or store may have sample paper to paint. You will not regret testing & seeing it in natural light & artificial light. I speak from personal experience!

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

White is cold & IMO, boring. 😊

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

KW - I have largely agreed with you about white, but my new master bathroom is white and I am loving it so much! The art provides pops of color.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Rainwashed is more blue. I don't think it will work w/the green.

the other one is ok, may be a little dark.

why not get some samples? If you want a few of them, go to HD and do the 2.99 Behr samples. they will color match. it won't be exact, but should be close enough for you to get the idea.

personally I like the White. a crisp white. With the bamboo shades and some hanging green plants, make a wood shelf, it will look great

Carrie B thanked Beth H. :
  • KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Seems Quietude & Rainwashed are popular! I was surprised at the mentions of blue in the colors. I looked at SW site for Sea Salt & it looks very gray. All very confusing which is why I stress samples. if you go white you might need to take care to match wall tile to prevent a “dirty” or mismatch look between tile & paint. If you accessorize with green towels & rug matching the border tile green & art with green frames as well as greens in the art, it might work. As @Beth H. :suggested, replacing the light bar would be a huge difference & you wI’ll have better quality lighting too. Since you aren’t replacing mirrored medicine cabinet I wonder if you could paint if a color to match the vanity?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

For the time being, I painted it white. I can always change it later. Thank you, Beth!

KW - I don't mind (at all!) multiple shades of white. My new bathroom probably has five shades of white... or more (Bathtub, toilet, sink - all white and of different brands. Vanity-creamy white, bath tile, off-white. Walls: Alabaster, Trim: extra white. Countertop - marble.) The different whites add interest and depth, to me.

The vanity and the medicine cabinet are both wood - but different woods, so I'd have to paint both and I don't want to cover up the wood of either at this point. Someday, I will get rid of the medicine cabinet (and the light) and maybe the vanity, too.

Will post again with photos (I can't edit from my phone, I can't add photos from my laptop. This site is a PIA for that stuff.)

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Photos showing: wood of vanity & medicine cabinet, freshly painted hall bath, and some of the many shades of white in my new bath.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Your hall bath looks so different - in a good way - from the yellow walls that were there! I hope that you keep the ceramic towel bar, soap dish & toothbrush holder - such character in those things! Your master bath looks great too - spa like with white & gray. Love the art on master bath walls! Nice job!

Carrie B thanked KW PNW Z8
  • Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bamboo blinds are up!

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Now I guess I need to find the right green towels, eh? Or maybe multicolor with some green and other colors?

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m also debating whether I should have gone with the gray. Thinking the gray might look better with the colors of this room and the other two rooms I need shades for.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

I do like the wooden shade over the curtains ypu show in before pics. Multicolor towels with green as predominant color or, green & white towels would add a nice layer of texture to room. Maybe pick out towels & vanity rug before deciding on which color shade- gray or wood toned. If you’re getting gray for other rooms you can test the color. But, you Might find towels with green / gray/ white. What colors are in the before rug you had - any green or enough green?

Carrie B thanked KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I like the warmer color because it works w/the other wood elements.

I still say to do a wood shelf w/green plants, or hang some plants!

I don't know about green paint. I still like the white, but need the other elements.

green/white towels, with another color accent would be fine.

or a shower mat

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 - Thanks, I like the idea of multicolor towels with green. The tiles - both floor tiles and ivy accent tiles have a good deal of blue in them. I always thought of them as just regular green (as if there is such a thing!) but this project has made me realize how turquoise/blue/seafoam they are. Here's a closeup of the rug (though I switch out rugs pretty frequently - either to wash or buy new.)

Doesn't the "green" in the rug look like a near match to the tile? Well, the green in the rug is... blue!

@Beth H. : Thank you! I hate to remove art to put up shelves. Will consider a plant... You've been so helpful.

Really, I love plants! Here's my website, for anyone curious...Earthly Delights, LLC

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

you don't have to remove them. put the art on the shelves. or raise the art and put shelf below it

try putting a shelf above the window blind and do some trailing plants!

I have a similar plant (philodendron) that is literally crawling around the entire room at the ceiling! This one long vine just attached itself to the ceiling and is meandering along!

• grapefruit1_ar
    2 years ago

I think that the white walls look great! I would have preferred a white shade if possible. Could you also use the white paint on the mirror trim? Keeping things neutral seems to remove the focus from the floor tiles. I really like your improvements.

Carrie B thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

That tile is an exact match to the thread in rug & now I see exactly what color of green that is - I had a leather sofa that looked sort of hunter green until another green put next to it then the blue came out! A true blue green. I browsed around your site - really, really nice! Your container and window box creations are truly an art form! Garden scapes & plants are my passion - first thing I did after retiring was enroll in the local WSU Master Gardener program - so much fun! Have fun towel shopping- another fun thing to do is cruise the bath accessories section in the stores every once in awhile .

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : thank you! I think I understand now: the wood shelves, in the same color as the blind will tie the blind into the rest of the room. Adding plants will work with the green in addition to being generally attractive & verdant. The shelves could also accommodate my art & maybe provide storage for a few pretty things. Check!

@grapefruit1_ar - I think I'm not going to go for more white, at this point. I like wood and I like color, too.

@KW PNW Z8 - actually, the tile isn't a perfect match, but close enough. Here's a photo where you can tell the difference:

Good for you for enrolling in the Master Gardner Program! It's so nice that State Universities sponsor these education & volunteer programs!

So...

Here are some next steps for me:

-Consider installing a couple shelves behind toilet (and/or over shade - but that would be a PIA to water, so maybe not...) for art & plants

-Try to get my sweet & handy (but busy with his own home projects) partner to:

-Trim my window

- Remove medicine cabinet (and hang a new one)

- Install new lighting

- Check out rugs & towels, maybe with some green & other colors in them.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

you're killing me w/these plants! lmao. I water mine maybe 2-3 times a month. it's a bathroom so the soil doesn't dry out as fast.

I think one shelf above the window blind and few plants will really add a lot.

just do the smaller pots w/pothos or something. simple enough to take down and water in the bathtub.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : - or the shower, since there's not bathtub in this bathroom. :-)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

self watering pots/

you can do something like this and just fill them w/air plants. mist them 1-2 times a week

do the pathos on the shelf, (you know you can grow these in water alone too, right) and let it trail over the room.

you could even do a faux plant above the window. some of them look really good.

Also, you might think about redoing the towel bar. get something less bulky looking.

did you see my plant wall?

Winter when I have to bring in some of my orchids.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : your plant wall is amazing!

The towel bar seems attached fairly permanently. Until the day that I renovate this bathroom completely/remove the tile, I think I'm stuck with it.

The only place that gets *any* natural light in the bathroom is right in front of the window. So I don't think I can grow anything on that wall. I *think* that a hanging basket or two is all that I have space for. Even that window doesn't get direct sun - there's a 3 story house 15' from this 2nd story window.

Pathos & philodendron are about the only plants that will survive in that bathroom, and really I don't like either (and, no, I won'd do fake plants.) :-(

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

lol. i don't blame you. i hate fake too. although I do have a few fake succulents on my kitchen shelf that gets no light. It's passable.

air plants might work. or find something else that you can hang from a ceiling.

for the shelf, a smaller snake plant would prob work. they hardly take any water and the light should be enough.

since you know plants, you know what's available.

my plant wall changes all the time. in the summer I can only do cactus or some succulents because that sun just beams in through the skylight and bakes that wall. ferns will burn.

in the winter the angle changes and I can do anything.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : Truth is, I know my outdoor plants way better than indoor. My work is 99.8% outdoors (the occasional garden client will ask me to move a houseplant up to a bigger pot...) Plus, I live in a low-light city rowhome with two plant-munching felines...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

i give up on the plant suggestion.

( I have cats too. )

• john3582
    2 years ago

I might check out the bathroom with the blinds down and light on at night. I thought my blinds were tilted so no one could see, and then I went for a walk at night and windows and the light was on. Could see a lot more details of my bathroom then I was comfortable with.

• Carrie B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : "(I have cats too)" I knew you were special. :-)

@john3582: Thanks. Will do.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting