Software
Houzz Logo Print
heather_ross81

New Build - Shutters or No Shutters?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Help! Shutters or no shutters? The brick and siding will be painted white with black windows. Front door and pillars will be natural white oak. Garage door will be white. I know this is just the front elevation drawings but I’m concerned that adding the shutters will make our home look too traditional. We are going for the modern farmhouse / transitional style. We understand that if we do shutters they should be functional and be able to actually close the window. Thanks in advance for your advice!


Comments (12)

  • 5 years ago

    So funny - I have actually read that article but none of the styles of those examples are similar to our home. We would have room to do functional shutters I just think it would make our home look too traditional.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Put functional shutters on all the windows all the way around the house, or none at all.

    How many different wall material/finish will you have?

    How many different roof material/finish will you have?

    What do the other three elevations look like?

    Why are you painting the brick?

    Does the brick go all the way around the house?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    As long as it's on farm. Or was on a farm. Or could be on a farm, everything is a farmhouse. See Dezeen.


    Red Hill Farmhouse, Melbourne, Aus. Carr and Jackson Clement Burrows Architects.

    Killan Ireland Farmhouse, TOB Architects

    So shutters are fine, as long as they look like they could close and cover the window.

    (Unless maybe it's a postmodern farm, where everything's ironic commentary.)

    Personally, I'd skip the pointless shutters and pocket the change.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Did you ask your designer for an elevation without the shutters? Much easier to decide with a visual.


    I don't see "modern farmhouse" here. I think removing the brick (foundation is OK) would be a positive change. The garage also seems out of place, as if there isn't really enough room for it so it intrudes into the space that belongs to the house. Consider dropping the garage fascia down to match the porch making the face of the garage a bit smaller.


    Floor plans and the other 3 elevations will net better ideas.

  • 5 years ago

    Here are the other elevations. We would have 2 wall materials (siding and brick - both white) and a black metal roof over front porch and upper windows on the left. Dark charcoal standard shingles on roof. Thanks already for the help everyone!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    If we're not limited to shutters...

    Ditch the porkchop eaves.

    And, as per PPF., the garage is fighting (and winning) the battle for dominance, which is odd for a custom-build with presumably land to spare.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Rough concept. Would still do all siding, and maybe reduce the gable roof pitch.







  • PRO
    5 years ago

    It is probably just me, but I find the design of this house not to be all that good. The front looks like it was fussed over for hours in an attempt to make the floor plan look good but ends up pretentious, then the other sides were left to happenstance. I mean it will most likely be built as it is drawn, still shedding rain and holding in heat when it is wanted, doors will open and close, countertop will still support the toaster and coffee pot and cutting boards and all the kitchen gadgets. This happens all the time, as if there is nothing more out there for us. Maybe each morning I should just brush the hair off my forehead, brush back my temples, tame my beard and head out each day, leaving the hairs on the back of my head to continue their rest, fore I do not see them so what should I care.

  • 5 years ago

    The front looks like it was fussed over for hours in an attempt to make the floor plan look good but ends up pretentious, then the other sides were left to happenstance.


    IOW, designed from the inside out, the way so many of the diy doodlers do.

  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Less modern, more farmhouse.













  • 5 years ago

    Appreciate you mocking this up!