ninapearl_gw

meet my new pup!

Ninapearl

pippin arrived a week ago today and is settling in like a champ! at 14.5 months old, she is the youngest dane i've ever had but she's very mellow and is happy to cuddle on the couch when she's not outside tearing around the yard and terrorizing squirrels. LOL

eden has been wonderfully accepting of pip. after losing her best friend 3 months ago, she has been sad, spending most of her time just sleeping. pippin is helping both eden and me heal from our loss.

pip is the brindle...

• Lucille

They are both magnificent!! I love Pip's brindle coat! I bet you buy a LOT of dog food!

Ninapearl thanked Lucille
  • foodonastump

Gorgeous! They look very natural together, glad that’s going well so quickly. Lots of dog food and I imagine couches don’t last too long either?

Ninapearl thanked foodonastump

Help, my new granite counters installed do not meet old backsplash.

I was called in to help the owner fix the problem. Found a cost effective solution and installed a new backsplash.

Art Deco meets tacky suburban!

I think an area rug (really big one) would help (art deco ish and pulling in your three main colours). I'm not sure about the turquoise pillow unless the walls have some turquoise in them(on my computer screen they look pale blue). I love the curtains. I don't think you need to replace your furniture. The new side tables placement is good, better than original box at end of sofa that seemed too heavy. Definitely keep the plates, but I do prefer the loose form that groveraxle did or some other arrangment on a different wall of living room. I find the yellow jarring currently over couch and would prefer other art that ties in your colour scheme together. I think that along with an area rug would be the biggest bang for your buck.Maybe a series of prints from the art deco era with your colours. Would also suggest replacing the pillow on armchair in first picture with one with different print. I think you're not as far off from the look you'd like as you think. Keep up great work!

Save me from my Honey Oak Kitchen! Please review my new kitchen plans.

Three little kids on bar-height stools scares me...unless those stools are high chairs with secure belts. Do you NEED to have cabinet storage on the living room side of the island? If this is your only dining area, I would omit those cabinets and affix a full length table-height eating counter so you can use five regular chairs . The kids won't be little forever. And I, personally, hate sitting on a barstool. They are not very comfortable.

Help with new living room. Colonial structure meets my old furniture:)

My only comment/suggestion would be remove the small photo from the mantel. I know you are hiding the outlet right? But a long low silver dish with some silver and gold balls (or some such thing) in it, would cover the outlet and still give a little interest to the mantel. I would like to know the color you used on the walls. Very chic!!
  • nicole___

Pippin is a beautiful girl! I'm so happy she has a beautiful home and someone to love on. What's her story?

Ninapearl thanked nicole___
  • eld6161

Oh my, be still my heart ❤️

Ninapearl thanked eld6161
  • sal 60 Hanzlik

beautiful dogs

Ninapearl thanked sal 60 Hanzlik
  • Ninapearl

What's her story?

she comes from a preservation breeder in iowa (about 4 hours from me). i have known her online through our mutual love of great danes for 12+ years. she has 2 other danes she is taking on the show circuit and another champion female that was bred a couple of weeks ago. because of her crazy schedule she decided to place pippin in a companion home instead of showing her.

eden and i lost our best friend 3 months ago and ever since, we have both been sad. when hailey contacted me about pip, it could not have come at a better time! eden will be 8 years old in july but still has lots of play in her. i can tell she is happy to have another friend!

actually, eden only eats 2 cups of kibble for breakfast and 2 cups for supper. pippin eats 2.5 cups at both meals so i don't really buy a LOT of dog food.

as for couches, in all my years of danes, i've never had one that chewed anything it wasn't allowed to. of course, they all came to me as adults and puppy shenanigans were in their rear view mirrors!

they each have their own couch. i take turns sitting with each of them in the evenings. eden has always laid on the couch with the cow blanket. i am training pippin that the other couch is hers and tell her to "go basket" and she'll climb up there. :)

• whistle_b

Beautiful dogs and story!

Ninapearl thanked whistle_b
  • blfenton

They're both beautiful dogs. How lucky for you all that you have become a family.

Ninapearl thanked blfenton
  • Uptown Gal

She is absolutely beautiful!!!!! Thanks for sharing "her" with us. She looks so regal

and proud. :)

Ninapearl thanked Uptown Gal
  • Annie Deighnaugh

Wonderful and so glad they are getting along well!

Ninapearl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • yeonassky

Pippin is beautiful! So glad you and Eden found her! I can see her helping you with the healing so easily.

Ninapearl thanked yeonassky
  • morz8

She looks wonderful, Nina. And so great she's adapting so quickly. That's a very pretty girl you've added to your household.

Ninapearl thanked morz8
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Brindle is my favorite coat color! She's very beautiful 🙂

Ninapearl thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • amylou321

She is GORGEOUS.

Ninapearl thanked amylou321
  • marilyn_c

They are both beautiful! Congratulations on your new friend!

Ninapearl thanked marilyn_c
  • Lukki Irish

I didn’t know you’d lost one of your babies Ninapearl, I’m so sorry. Pip is beautiful and looks like she has a lot of personality. Congrats on the new family member!!!

Ninapearl thanked Lukki Irish
  • Alisande

They are beauties!

Ninapearl thanked Alisande
  • blubird

Pippin has spectacular ears. As they say in my house, she fell in good. I remember many of your Great Dane pals.

Ninapearl thanked blubird
  • Ded tired

Beautifu dogs. They look so happy. Nice for all of you.

Ninapearl thanked Ded tired
  • Ninapearl

thanks, everyone!! i couldn't be happier with how pippin has adjusted in just one week. she is wonderful off leash and she LOVES the zoomies. i have to stand back so i don't get smushed!

@Lukki Irish, i lost olivia 3 months ago. she was a rescue, i got her when she was 8. had she made it to april, she would have been 14 which is pretty much unheard of in the world of danes. even more remarkable, i had been treating her the last four years of her life for a heart condition. sadly, she was starting to become overrun with arthritis and it was a kindness to lay her to rest. i will always miss that sweet girl, she was my constant companion for almost 6 years and was eden's best friend. it was one of the toughest losses i've experienced but i wouldn't trade my years with olivia for all the tea in china!

• nickel_kg

Sweet memories, and sweet memories in the making. I'm very happy for you :-)

Ninapearl thanked nickel_kg
  • murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Congratulations on bringing Pippin into the family. I'm so happy they have settled in so easily together. Must be all the love and good vibes in your house!! Wishing you many happy years together!

Ninapearl thanked murraysmom Zone 6a OH
  • socks

I figured you’d get another pup eventually. This worked out well. She’s wonderful.

Ninapearl thanked socks
  • ritamay91710

What gorgeous puppers!

Ninapearl thanked ritamay91710
  • Michele

Olivia was a gorgeous dog. I’m sorry for your loss.

Pippin is so beautiful. I’m happy for you and Eden! (Who is a beauty too).

A Great Dane with the zoomies! That must be something else!

Ninapearl thanked Michele
  • Rusty

Wow! That is a LOT of dog! ! ! Sorry you lost Olivia, and glad Pippin is settling in so well.

Rusty

Ninapearl thanked Rusty
  • maggie200

Seeing your pups is a wonderful experience. Did they come to you trained?

Ninapearl thanked maggie200
  • Ninapearl

@maggie200, yes. all of my danes have come to me as adults. all of them except for eden and pippin have come from a couple of different rescues and all have been well trained so i have been so so lucky! raising a puppy at my age just isn't in the cards for me so when opportunities like this arise, i can't say no!

pippin takes cuddling to a whole new level!

channeling her baby yoda. LOL

• Lukki Irish

Awe, I’m so sorry. All of your Danes have been so beautiful and full of personality. I feel the same way about my lab Ellie. I got her as a pup and I can’t believe she is nine now. She’s my shadow and I love her dearly.

Ninapearl thanked Lukki Irish
  • anniesjacuzzi

Ninapearl❤️ I am thrilled for you and Eden... I know how much of your heart you lose each time you lose one of your babies. Pippin is beautiful...just like Olivia was❤️......Robin

Ninapearl thanked anniesjacuzzi
  • maggie200

I would love to see them next to an adult to understand their majesty. I adore your story. I have tears of sadness for you.

Ninapearl thanked maggie200
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Absolutely gorgeous Dane! Someone spent a lot of time and effort on getting those ears to stand so beautifully! I have racked many sets of ears and those are awesome. My condolences on your loss.

Ninapearl thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • Ninapearl

@maggie200, here's a picture of the 3 of us (i'm the one in the middle, hehe). pippin has another 9 or 10 months of growing to do before she reaches adulthood. she probably won't get any taller but she will fill out and get broader.

@ravencajun Zone 8b TX, she has the longest crop of any of my danes, past and present! i know it takes tons of dedication to get this result. i can't imagine the time it takes and the inevitable frustration along the way as i know it can take many months before they no longer need posting/taping!

• Jen K

In a nod to We Rate Dogs, "Please don't send us pictures of elf horses we only rate dogs. Rating 15/10." https://mobile.twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1387835584366796800

Our family is on the completely other end with dachshunds, but I absolutely adore your beautiful Danes. Unfortunately they're too big for us so we admire from the small dog side of the park. Enjoy!

• lgmd_gaz

Pippin has my heart. She is beautiful, as any Great Dane I have ever met. Have never had a close relationship with one, but I know that they are gentle, loving dogs. Size has nothing to do with their personality. She and Eden make a house full of love..... it is obvious!

• Ninapearl

"elf horses", that's hilarious!! @Jen K, people are always surprised to know that danes don't need a whole lot of room. as long as they get sufficient exercise, they are happy to pretty much snooze on a comfy bed or a couch the rest of the time. i have several dane friends who live in high rises in the city with their danes. :)

@lgmd_gaz, she has mine, too! she has turned out to be a total joy and you would think she and eden were raised together. many people will tell you not to bring in another female dog because there will most likely be squabbles that can escalate to an all out bloodbath. that has never been my experience with danes. i've had as many as 3 females living together, all acquired at different times, and never once had a single snarl or curled lip from any of them. it's truly a thing beauty to behold!

i put pip to the test on saturday and left her and eden alone and loose in the house while i visited my grandson in the city. got home 5 hours later and there wasn't a single thing out of place. i have pet cameras in every room so i could check in on them often. all they did was sleep.

squirrel patrol...

• ci_lantro

Pippen looks very much at home. Congrats on the new family member. Many happy moments in the future for all of you!

Ninapearl thanked ci_lantro
  • Jen K

2d from the top, your BIL looking at the camera and Pippin down, is the shot! But I also live the top one, too. Yes dogs are so intuitive and great consolers.

Ninapearl thanked Jen K
  • Ninapearl

now that we are all vaccinated, my dog sitter and her friend came out to visit and meet pip. no lap is safe from this girl!

i put pippin to another test yesterday and left her home alone while i took eden to the vet to have the pressure in her glaucoma eye checked. we were gone for a couple of hours and looking in on pippin from my pet cameras, she pretty much laid the whole time in front of the door waiting for us to return. you would think we had been gone for weeks with the greeting we received!

• eld6161

That is hilarious. I love how much everyone loves these dogs.

Ninapearl thanked eld6161
  • nicole___

Me too! I love that you take such good care of these babies! Great body language! ♥ Thanks for the fun photos!

Ninapearl thanked nicole___
  • Jen K

"you would think we had been gone for weeks with the greeting we received!" The dachshunds every time we come home.

Ninapearl thanked Jen K
  • Ninapearl

thanks for the comments! pippin is proving to be such a character. i've had several male danes over the years and they have always been so much goofier than the usually-reserved females but pip is giving those boys a real run for the money!

@Jen K, i have to remind myself that dogs really have no sense of time. whether i'm gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, i always get the same enthusiastic greeting. i've gotten to where i give quick pets and then try to ignore them till they settle. if i pay too much attention, it seems to cause a serious case of the zoomies and 290# of zooming dogs looks and sounds like a herd of a hundred elephants! lol

• Ninapearl

eden and pippin are pretty much inseparable now. they are such a joy!! i have been trying, off and on, for the past several years to wean myself from the anti-depressant i've been taking since i lost my husband 13 years ago without any success. it seemed that every time i tried, within just 3 or 4 days, i felt myself going back down the rabbit hole. i've been without it for just over 2 weeks now and feel just great!

• Jen K

@Ninapearl bonded pairs have great pros and few cons. We read up on them before bringing Liesl and Fritz (they're siblings/share a dad) home. Thankfully it hasn't been a problem: Fritz had GI surgery last year, Liesl was in the hospital this year for Addison's and neither one of them went berserk. They're each other's best friends and aren't really interested in other dogs.

On the opposite end of the Great Dane spectrum.

Ninapearl thanked Jen K
  • Ninapearl

@Jen K, such a cute pair!!

i've left one or the other of the danes home for up to a couple of hours and all they do is pretty much sleep when left alone.

i get what you mean and most problems arise when a person brings home 2 puppies from the same litter. it takes some pretty intense training to end up with dogs that can be comfortable when they're separated. i have a friend who had never heard of littermate syndrome and
    brought 2 puppies home, littermates. i gave him suggestions as far as training and 6 months later, his pups are doing great.

before i had ever known it wasn't the best idea, i brought home 2 siberian husky littermates. i guess i was very lucky that the usual problems with those arrangements never cropped up as i had never heard of the syndrome way back then!