Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leanne_morris

Plants for a tricky area PNW

Leanne Downs
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there,We recently moved to a home near Victoria BC. It has beautiful mature landscaping in Japanese style around three ponds. We've been taking out some dead trees and shrubs, it seems there's a tricky area where nothing is thriving. It's on the right side, between the row of azaleas and the clematis on the fence (planning to move or remove the few plants there now, they look awful). Lots of sun, seems dry even though it's irrigated. I'd love to plant something en masse in this area. Hydrangea? Ornamental grasses? I'd love ideas for something that might thrive in this tricky spot! Photo in comments, I couldn't figure out how to add to post!

Comments (17)

• Leanne Downs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Leanne Downs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Leanne Downs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Jj J
    2 years ago

Such a serene garden. That is such an abrupt change it makes me wonder if some weed killer had been put there? Is the soil texture different there if you dig? Or do you hit rock before you can dig deeply? If it all seems like the rest of the garden, I might consider having the soil analyzed, could offer clues...

• Leanne Downs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is an abrupt change and I've wondered about the weed killer also. The rest of the garden is mostly on/around large rocks, it is the areas where there seems to be more top soil that are doing poorly.

• Jj J
    2 years ago

It’s also odd that it seems so dry, since it has been a generally cool spring (aside from a week about 1 month ago). Have you run the irrigation system to confirm that area has coverage?

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

It seems to me that every square inch of the garden need not be covered with thick growth...the open space can be a “relief” ...a breath of fresh air..in these surroundings...maybe level it a little..add pea gravel as a ground cover...a few comfy wood chairs...with a table between...a piece of sculpture or two?...even if it is only used as a resting place while working in the garden....i would look at this a a positive...not a negative....since i love reading and a little sunbath now and then this would be a great place for that...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

If plants do not grow well in that location, then you need to find out why. Bad drainage? Too rooty? Soil nutrients depleted? Irrigation malfunctioning? Once you have that established and corrected, then we can make some suggestions for plants that work under those conditions.

Since yours is a Japanese inspired garden, an alternative would be to turn this area into a Zen garden. Just rocks or sand (or both), with a Asian inspired ornament, like a pagoda lantern. Or a natural rock cairn sculpture.

• Jj J
    2 years ago

That’s true, btydrvn, and that could be a good solution. Still odd that this area isn’t developed like the rest of the garden or already established as a sitting area.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

It could be as simple as whatever was there was removed or taken away by the seller... but I see no reason to worry or have questions about it... beyond testing the soil to be sure there is no threatening problem to correct...it could really be that something over grown or unsightly was just removed..with no motivation to replace... it is an incredible plus to find a beautiful established garden such as this..,hope you love and have time for gardening....

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

We have a similar outdoor setting and literally live outdoors all summer... but it took 20 years of adding and editing to get it to this point...

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

lots od annualstoo

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

🤷🏼‍♀️lots of annuals

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

One last view from our front porch

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

Forgot my favorite feature...50’ of wisteria vines ..

• PRO
    OrpitaGhosh
    2 years ago

Such a beautiful garden!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath