Software
Houzz Logo Print
lorenelson

Fireplace makeover - stone, slab or tile for this tall brick fireplace

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Additional comments:


Thanks for all of the great comments! (please disregard everything around the fireplace - we temporarily moved a number of items to this room that are temporary.). I agree that the paint is too peachy for the blond fireplace, but since we are going to reface the fireplace, I've left it as is.


We have thought about this for years, and the following is the case:

(1) We want to cover the brick (I just don't like it) even though so many people think it is beautiful.

(2) We don't mind the expense of refacing it.

(3) If someone has experience refacing fireplaces, can they weigh in about the advantages and disadvantages of the following?: stone slab, stone tile, porcelain tile?

(4) We are open to colors that are warm (and so complement the ceiling) and I'm partial to something like bluestone or a "ribbon fireplace"


Attached are photos of some of my favorite materials. Comments?


Thanks for your help!


We don’t like brick and so are planning to cover the brick fireplace in our vintage 1970 home with some sort of stone or tile. Any suggestions for specific stone or tile that would look really great on this double high fireplace in a living room with clerestory ceilings? We want something striking and do not mind the expense of replacing the brick. Thanks!


Tigers eye - too bold?


Limestone fossil


Porceilain tile

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5921854/picked-out-porcelain-tile-for-fireplace-surround-having-2nd-thoughts


Bluestone - 1


Limestone ribbon


Bluestone - 2


Bluestone - 3


Bluestone - 4



Comments (16)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Can you tell us what other plans you have for this room? Are the furnishings and window coverings changing or are we working with what is there? Also, it would be helpful to post some other pictures of the room so we get a better feel for the space.

    LMN LMN thanked Hansen Wholesale
  • 5 years ago

    No other work needs to be done, just refacing the fireplace with tile or stone.

  • 5 years ago

    Too bad you don't like the brick. It has a good look.

    LMN LMN thanked houssaon
  • 5 years ago

    The brick looks like it is in excellent condition and the rug hanging on the chimney goes well with the brick. (It is difficult to identify its color with no light directed at it.). Remove all the other stuff from the hearth and surrounding area. One of the track lights should illuminate the hanging rug. A smaller desk will work better than the large table on the left. Remove the “sun” and hang an appropriately-sized painting there. The floor lamp should not be in front of the window...it should shine its light from just behind (and above) the shoulder of a person sitting in the chair. Once the area has been decluttered, consider your color scheme again. You can have the fireplace surround and the chimney painted or tiled and a different stone hearth added.

    LMN LMN thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    It would be unfortunate to get rid of the brick without considering less drastic options IMO.


    You may not like the brick because the wall paint is way too peachy in this room.



    Also a chest and painting on the left would complement the existing window on the right. Painting or staining the brick is another option.








    LMN LMN thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I like Beverly’s first couple suggestions. Adding stone or tile to that wall is not a simple task. I would try painting or doing something to change what bothers you about the room. Try removing all the small things from the room and find some art you like better for fireplace if you don’t like the large rug? Or tapestry? Refacing the brick would be my last choice.

    LMN LMN thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    What colors are you wanting for this room?

    LMN LMN thanked Flo Mangan
  • 5 years ago

    Whatever you decide please incorporate an element from your wood ceiling.

    LMN LMN thanked Lidia
  • 5 years ago

    BeverlyFLADeziner
    Please what is the color of the walls in your mock-ups?
    Very nice with the brick!

    LMN LMN thanked hamfast
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It’s too bad you don’t like the brick. Have you thought about moving the rug to where the sun is? You could then try putting the sun on the brick but a simple hoop would be better, although I think best would be nothing at all and to decorate your room in a style that works with the brick, the ceiling and the windows. It’s modern Frank-lloyd Wright-sh furniture that would go best, and coming close to that is not expensive and you can add color and warmth and comfort as you please to make it all work for you.

    Anyway, changing the fireplace would not be the first thing I would do. I would not commit to enacting advice from the internet about such a major visual feature of the room. You are going to be living with it for a long time and it will dictate almost all the rest of your furniture choices, so figure out first what kind of a room you most want and why, and then figure out what kind of surface the fireplace should have to go with that.

    LMN LMN thanked User
  • PRO
    5 years ago

    hamfast, I just made the paint color up on the computer but these options come close to matching it.

    LMN LMN thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I like the brick, but not the color. Also, it's a large expanse and I would not even want to estimate the expense of refacing that.

    I would look first at painting it a dark, dark gray. Break up the height with some type of wood ledges. Not necessarily to set things on, because I personally don't like clutter, but something more sculptural that can wrap around the side and look artistically unique.

    You could also do a two-tone feature to break up the expanse, A sculptural horizontal ledge of wood could be the breaking point of a dark grey above, and a lighter contrast below to the floor.


    I like the look of the steel surround in this last photo below. Note there is no hearth in these photos. You may not have the option of removing yours unless you plan to re-do your flooring. Removing the expansive hearth would really open up your room.


    Good luck.


    Key West Revival · More Info



    Contemporary Arts & Craft · More Info


    LMN LMN thanked alwaysdesigning
  • 5 years ago

    I’m not a pro, but I also like the brick, and agree with the suggestions to repaint, declutter, rethink the placement of the tapestry, and think about refreshing the furnishings and decor before embarking on a huge project like this. You are fortunate to have a home with good bones like this, and I’d try to work with it.

    LMN LMN thanked chinacatpeekin
  • 5 years ago

    Ironically the stacked brick look on your fireplace is a recent popular tile pattern. I would choose a nice slate grey (Benjamin Moore Kendall charcoal or graphite) and redo the hearth top in a stone similar to the black/white vein porcelain tile you posted above. The brick work is immaculate, I'd save some money and buy a gorgeous area rug!

    LMN LMN thanked hu818472722
  • 5 years ago

    The brick looks great and the style is perfect with your home. If you are determined to do something, you can paint it, either light or dark. Putting a different style tile or stone in the room will really devalue your home.

    LMN LMN thanked calidesign