Software
Houzz Logo Print
vidhimarks

Home Office/ Library Upgrade

5 years ago

Hi,

I have this beautiful home office/ library space. This picture is old, the flooring is now a nice broad plank hand scraped oak with warm gray tones, and the wall colour is Benjamin moore cement gray. Can you please suggest simple ways to make this place a bit more modern/ updated.

Comments (28)

  • 5 years ago

    Anyone?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Can you post a current picture with the new floor and paint?

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    A couple of ideas

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your response, I will share a latest picture shortly. Any ideas without painting the cabinets? Like hardware or countertop change?

  • 5 years ago

    One,possibility is to paint the back of the shelving. If you don’t want to paint the actual wood, you could cut thin backing board to size, paint that and put the shelves back in front of it. You could at least see if you like it that way.

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/best-in-american-living-winner-caruthers-transitional-home-office-houston-phvw-vp~167646141

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks, this picture is really nice

  • 5 years ago

    What a gorgeous room! I would absolutely love to have a library like that! I agree with painting the backs of the shelves, or cutting sheets of wallpaper to size would also work and give you some texture. Then you could purchase new hardware that pick up on a color in the wallpaper. You could also have drapes and accessories (planter, chair, knickknacks, etc) that also pick up on the accent color.

  • 5 years ago

    Is beautiful as is, I think just a new wall paint, something to brighten it we a little, like a soft gray, give the curtain up.

    Do you have lots of books to fill all those shelves? If not, I would remove the shelves above the desk, and have some big pictures or painting.

  • 5 years ago

    This is what it looks like right now, I have replaced the curtains with cellular shades. And you can see the nee flooring and paint colour

  • 5 years ago

    I am working on a gallery wall where you see the painter’s tape.

  • 5 years ago

    Any suggestions on the countertop? I am thinking of putting some peel and stick countertop to change that a bit.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    You mentioned changing hardware — I think more modern knobs would look great. Just examples (both from Home Depot):





    Or black (Lowe’s):



  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your responses, really appreciate

  • 5 years ago

    I agree with decluttering. Something that may help would be to organize objects on the shelves by color. My daughter went through my office and organized shelves into color groups, and it made a big difference.

    Re: countertop, if that is your workspace, I'd worry that peel and stick might interfere with your work.

    The wood behind the counter stood out. Maybe cover it with cork board or fabric-covered foam that you could use as a place to pin notes, photos, etc?

    Just a few thoughts -- good luck with the project!

    (P.S. The paint and floors look great!)

  • 5 years ago

    Some thrifty fixes to update are adding fabric (I have used starch to "stick" it to the back of the shelves) but you can wallpaper too. I would use something that plays well with your pretty paint color. Spray paint your knobs black for an update. Maybe adding some lights to the top of your shelves. Hang one of your pictures on the edge of a shelf. If you like color...your coral & red bring more of that in. Your flooring is gorgeous. all pictures are from things I found online



  • 5 years ago

    It's a beautiful room and I love the orange walls, (grey isn't the answer for everything). The room appears very dreary but I think a bright rug on the floor and possibly an orange backsplash to match the walls would make a big difference. Beyond that, a few books and ornaments on the shelves would bring it all together.

  • 5 years ago

    The grey paint doesn't work. I think if you were to use an earthy shade of green or gold etc, it would soften the formal mill work. Don't paint the bookshelves or even the back. Change out the hardware. That should do it.

  • PRO
    5 years ago


    Back of bookcases & above working surface can be painted same colour as the walls.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    If you want a quick but tasteful and dramatic switch to a modern feeling, go for pure black and pure white for everything — chair, curtain, counter top, filing boxes, computer stuff, desk lamps. But you can keep the red vase! Just fill it with white sticks.

    You can use just black and white solids, or you can go wild. if you want to try the latter, try to find black and white damask drapes that milmic the wood carvings on the cabinet.

    unforunately these are blue, not black, but you get the idea


    Kerala Blue Printed Cotton Twill Curtain, 50"x96" · More Info



    Linon Draper Wood Upholstered Office Chair in Black Cow Print · More Info



    Zebra Print Black Stripes on Off White - Animal Print Cowhide Rug · More Info



    Black & White Damask Wastepaper Basket, With Tissue Box Cover · More Info



    12 Pack - Magazine File Holder Organizer Box, Black, White · More Info



    Polka Dot Ceramic Knob, Black and White · More Info



    Mae Brass LED Task Lamp · More Info



    Black Iron and Acrylic 2 Light Flush Mount Ceiling Light · More Info


    REPLOGLE 35531 BANCROFT Globe · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    If you don’t like black and white with the wood, pick white and a color you like that goes with the gray, like red or yellow. But stick to white + 1

  • 5 years ago

    Awesome idea, and pictures Ital! Thank you so much! I have been looking at rhe zebra rug for sometime for this space, I think that will look great here.

  • 5 years ago

    I think the decorative molding on the cabinets is very dated. I agree you need some color between the shelves, the wood is making it look very heavy.

  • 5 years ago

    Yes, the molding makes it looks dated, but its really solid and well made, which is why I want to keep it, but change it up a bit

  • 5 years ago

    I don’t think the round table in front of the window adds anything...except it adds to visual clutter. Purge your shelves. I know how hard that is...so maybe ask a trusted friend.
    Then step back and breathe. You may see a simple way forward. The room is lovely. It is just not being showcased properly.

  • 5 years ago

    And, in my opinion, do NOT back shelves with fabric. Maybe try a metallic paint that is very subtle. Try one and see what you think.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi, Colleen, the round table is my temporary setup to be able to stand and work. The actual desk is the in built one with the gray/ green countertop.

  • 4 years ago

    Hi all, does it make sense to paint the cabinets like a dark or medium gray?