Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojosplants

Mango tree seedling. Growing tips appreciated.

jojosplants
2 years ago

This little tree sprouted May 16th of this year. I am already amazed at how much it's grown!
Right now it is indoors, south facing window.
I am in Az. Zone 9b.
Our summers are pretty harsh. Is it better off kept inside for awhile, or move it outside?
If I need to move it out, part shade? Or graduate it to full sun?
It is in a 5-1-1 mix with a little extra pumice.
Right now the only fertilizer I have is Expert Gardener all purpose water soluable , 24-8-16
@greenman28 this is my second attempt. How is yours doing? Feel free to share pics! :-)
One leaf is twice the size of the others. Lol.. Is that normal?
Also colr is off in this picture. It is a nice bright green.
Jojo

Comments (7)

• jojosplants2020
    2 years ago

@greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a I guess I didn't tag you correctly from my tablet. lol...

How's your tree doing?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

i wasnt aware you could contact peeps direct through this forum ...

anyway ... i would never place a tree in a black pot where the pot could heat up in the sun ... if and when you go to sun.. put the pot behind something so its shaded ... cool.. but the plant is in sun ....

and i doubt you need constant fert with a tree ... unless in watering.. you run its all out the bottom every time you flood the pot.. and i doubt you are doing that indoors ...

lastly . i would not repot this time of year.. especially if you do take it outside.. why stress it ... and then take it outside ans stress it.. etc ...

and do harden it off properly if it goes outside ...

this is all general tree lore ... the rules dont really need to vary by plant in most cases ...

otherwise.. i dont do AZ and i dont do mango ..

ken

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    2 years ago

Good morning!

My little mango is fully outdoors now, despite the last week of nights in the low 40F's. A bit of neem, a bit of leafburn, a repotting, and it's doing pretty well. It hasn't moved much since the repotting, but it's finally active again and a new flush of leaves is about to ensue!

Your seedling is looking great. I'm glad you decided to try again! Took me three tries to get the seed to fully root and not just rot.

Josh

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Repotted nearly two months ago (3/27), and the weather stayed cold. I should have waited for warm weather to repot, and it would have responded faster.

• jojosplants2020
    2 years ago

@ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

Actually I do run it all out the bottom when I water. I set my plants on a heavy screen over a bucket.

I water and leave them sit for awhile.

@greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Thank you! :-)

Your tree looks amazing too!! They are fast growers! lol

So is it in full sun now?

I was lucky to get the one seed! I tried 6 and all but one rotted! How are you sprouting them?

I tried the damp paper towel and they all got moldy and gross! lol

I have a few more I want to try to sprout.

Temps have been a roller coaster still here too. We dropped 10 degrees in a day and our over night low was 57. lol

Jo Jo

2 years ago

Jo Jo, I had mine in a damp paper towel in an open ziplock until it swelled up and turned bright green, then I potted it. I put a piece of plastic wrap over the pot to maintain moisture until it began to send up leaves. I peeled off the brown papery stuff, too, since that seemed to trap mold on my previous attempts.

• jojosplants2020
    2 years ago

Thanks Josh!

I will try that. I had them in a sealed box. I did try and remove as much of the brown papery stuff first.