Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_kuhnemund7

Can you use a floor tile in the shower?

I want to use an 8x8 tile seamlessly in my bathroom for the floor, shower and all? Is there anything to use that will keep it from being slippery in the shower? Picture to show the look I’m going for.

Comments (10)

• cpartist
    2 years ago

No.

• L A
    2 years ago

But you can use shower tile on the floor

• jo mu
    2 years ago

You can use floor tile on the wall but not wall tile on the floor because itll probably be slippery if there is a "wall only" tile the manufacturer will likely have a floor version of it

• Helen
    2 years ago

Any tile you use in a bathroom should have a COF that makes it non-slippery. If your feet are damp or the floor is the slightest bit wet, you can really skid on a bathroom floor even if it is not the shower.

My bathroom floor and shower floor have the same marble tile but it is a relatively small tile (basket weave) so there is lots of grout for my toes to grip. When I was remodeling I rented a place that had 12x12 marble tiles and those tiles were incredibly slick in both the shower and on the floor.

You didn't ask but make sure that you install grab bars in the shower for safety regardless of the floor you opt for. They need to be installed into the studs or else they are worthless if someone actually needs to grab one because they have lost their balance.

• sunshine_31
    2 years ago

I love that look!

• BP DIYer
    2 years ago

Consult your tile supplier. If they are knowledgeable they will explain the “R” rating listed on the tile box. Rule of thumb is bathrooms and kitchens should have rating of 11 or higher. 12 is better and 13 is the best for low slippage. I use only 12 or 13 rated tiles in wet areas.

• Karen
    2 years ago

I suspect some people thought you meant you wanted to use the same tile on the floor of the bathroom, the shower floor and walls. Did you really just mean the floor areas?

• chispa
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes, you can use larger sized tile in a shower, but it needs to be one that isn't slippery when wet and the shower has to be designed properly to have the correct slope and drain. Notice that your photo has a linear drain on the right that is topped with the same tile and probably 48" long (or more). This all needs to be designed ahead of time.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

The shower floor, tub interior and bathroom floor tiles must be non-skid/non-slip-finished material.
    In addition, I recommend washable rubber-bottom bathroom rugs for added security except in the shower. A rubber shower and bathtub mat add security there. A fall in the bathroom can be deadly with all those hard edges and surfaces. I also use sanded floor grout for a little added safety.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Smaller format=less slippery. felizlady, sanded grout is meaningless as pertaining to slipperiness.