Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbuckmaster

Need Help with 2 Layouts: Memory Care and Assisted Living Units!

mbuckmaster
2 years ago

We will be moving both parents from an apartment to two separate units in a Senior community. Mom will have a unit in memory care (304 sq ft) and Dad will be in a studio (369 sq ft) in assisted living. I am trying to determine what furniture can be used and what new furniture will need to be bought. We are planning to use twin size beds for each unit. For Mom, we're planning a daybed that looks like her favorite couch. In Mom's room we'd also like to have a twin size sleeper chair or small loveseat that my dad can pullout or easily convert in case he wants to spend the night in the room during these initial weeks of transition.

For Dad's studio, I'm unsure what type of seating to get him. Should we use a small loveseat for seating or two chairs/recliners? one recliner? If possible, he'd like a small table and chair to eat at and a small desk for his computer and paperwork. He would have 1-2 guests at the most in the room.

For both rooms the TV can be wall mounted where it makes the most sense. All their clothes will fit in the closets so a dresser is not really necessary. We will be moving them very soon (june 30th) so I really need some help to figure this out quickly! Thank you in advance for you ideas--I appreciate anyone taking time to help me.

Comments (13)

• Tootsie
    2 years ago

Are their possessions from current home that they can use, a pillow or comforter? Artwork? Keep in mind the supply chain issues for furniture. It can take months to receive things that were once very available.

mbuckmaster thanked Tootsie
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

Does your father have a favorite chair that you can move to his new place? If so, decorate around it.

mbuckmaster thanked maddielee
  • mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HI Tootsie--yes, they have many items from their current apartment. I'm just having a hard time determining what they should use and how to arrange things. If needed I will buy new where available (not planning on custom ordering as I need new items within a few weeks). My brother and sister also have items in their households that we can "grab" from. :)

They have determined their favorite artwork for the walls, and we plan to use familiar pillows/comforters as well. I could use help with the layout of pieces that make sense for the space.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Based on my experience, for both apartments, place bed as close as possible to bathroom for middle of night needs. A straight shot with nothing to walk around is best. A recliner is a good thing & place close to window so they can see out while sitting in chair. Best of luck during this challenging time - make time for yourself..

mbuckmaster thanked KW PNW Z8
  • L P
    2 years ago

My parents made the move to assisted living/memory care, too. Were you able to see a model room? That would give you a good idea on how to best set up the furniture. There are often photos on the facility’s website as well. I agree with others who say to bring as much as what is familiar to them as possible. The recliner or even a lift chair will be more comfortable than the loveseat, and dining chairs can double for company. They will enjoy having their artwork in their new spaces. Photos are great, too! Best of luck to you. I hope your parents adapt well and enjoy the peace of mind that comes with assisted living…you, too!

mbuckmaster thanked L P
  • mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@apple_pie_orderYes we have a list of item that they will need which includes a "lidded hamper or laundry basket". Thanks for the tips on the arm chair. I think he would appreciate a chair that is easier to get in and out of.

• mbuckmaster
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@KW PNW Z8 all good ideas and tips to keep in mind. It makes sense to place the bed closer to the bathroom and the chair/recliner by the window is a great idea. It's a busy street outside so lots for mom to see.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

For your dad, I would get a recliner and a small round table with at least two chairs so he has seating for guests, or for eating, or other desk type activities.

mbuckmaster thanked calidesign
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

True, this is not a nursing home, but there may be special "utility" connections at a specified bed location in case any special care (oxygen, for example) is ever needed. If you can determine that location in their individual rooms, the rest of the furniture can be placed accordingly. It is nice to have a comfy chair, table and lamp for reading. You might consider battery lamps so there are no hazardous electrical cords. If you think dad may want to stay with mom for a few nights, a roll-away bed might suffice short term. Those used to be available at furniture rental places, but not sure since Covid.

mbuckmaster thanked decoenthusiaste
  • lizziesma
    2 years ago

Lift chairs, unless absolutely necessary, can lessen the ability to rise on ones own, robs you of muscle ability.

• L P
    2 years ago

@lizziesma: You make a very good point about the lift chairs. My stepdad has knee replacements and is past the age to have them done again, so muscle mass is key for him and a lift chair was not recommended in his case. My mother has cardiac issues and the lift chair has been great for her, not to help her stand (she never uses that function), but it has a zero gravity mode and other features that help soothe her various medical issues. But I agree, lift chairs are not for everyone.

• Vlad Filipenko
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I agree, firstly you should finish all the basic stuff with outlined place for chairs. Then you will get a better understanding of what will work best. But, overall, I would recommend you to buy a professional rocking chair (under professional, I mean approved by orthopedists). I bought one for my mother - she could spend the whole day without any discomfort. It's even better for her care worker from https://homecareassistance.com/palm-beach, as she can set up everything around the chair. The only thing to consider is the wall-mounted tv before the chair. Make sure it won't be too far away.