Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwj_90

Borax and Oxiclean

MWJ '90
2 years ago

Quick question, can Borax and Oxygen Bleach be used together? Or should they always be used separately?

Comments (14)

• beaglenc
    2 years ago

Yes. I use it with clorox2 pods all the time.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So the Borax boosts the Oxiclean?

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

Why do you want to combine them? Thank you!

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No, I was wondering if they were able to be used interchangeably or if combined would they cancel each other out.

• tideman_59
    2 years ago

I've found that Oxiclean can sometimes be harsh on colors, so on color loads I'll use 20 Mule Team Borax as a cleaning and deodorizing booster.

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

I would not use Oxi Clean on colored clothing either... not even towels. I use powdered Cheer for all colored laundry where keeping the colors vibrant is important. But jeans still fade....

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Even with Cheer Powder?

• tideman_59
    2 years ago

I wouldn't use Oxi Clean with any detergent on colors.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So for colors Borax is to be preferred over Oxiclean? Ok I will keep that in mind. Thank you cupoffkindess and tideman

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Yes MWJ, Borax preferred over Oxiclean regarding colors. I don't use branded Oxyclean as it doesn't work for us here (might be our water chem), but I do use separate oxygen bleach at times with my whites loads, and I'll use Borax with it, along with detergent if say, it's a bad laundry load. Like rags or towels that had a hard day. I'll also use that combo with undershirts, socks, sheets. Ime, adding a little stpp helps, not only with the performance of all of those ingredients, but also for keeping the mucky wash water from repositing onto the laundry and for better rinsing. Washed items can take on a roughness with that many additives and stpp helps to get an improved rinse.

• MWJ '90
    Original Author
    2 years ago

SEA SEA, this is SUPERS helpful info. Thank you so much. I'm not sure if you saw my comment on another post, but my we're getting ready to make the switch over to all white towels. For the longest time I resisted but since coming on here and learning about all of these products I feel a WHOLE lot more confident to go all white.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Oh that's great MWJ! I think you will enjoy having all white towels. We did the switch too a number of years ago. It was a good decision. We love bright white bath and hand towels, plus washcloths. I use washcloths for rags--all white. Oops, mostly white, some old colored ones are still around. Most of them are bright and without stains, except for some mystery stain that shows up sometimes. I think it might be hot sauce, but not sure. That one, I can't seem to remove until x of washes in. Congrats on the switch! : )

• tideman_59
    2 years ago

You can also use clear ammonia as an additive for colors. Just don't mix it with any other additive such as chlorine bleach or oxi. I've been using it for years and works well and helps deodorize the load.