Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara_griewing

Need help dating a sideboard

Sara Z6 KC
2 years ago

We had this sideboard in our conference room at work, I’m just getting started working on it… We’re moving office space and I nabbed it. The hardware which from the indentations in the wood seem original, as the outlines are really dug in to the wood. But they appear more waterfall era than this piece. Also the coordinating knobs on the drawers must’ve been replaced at some point because when I took them off, I realized they’re plastic.

It doesn’t appear to be a real high quality piece, but it’s solid and has character. There’s blobs of old hide glue drips on the front kick plate, and crooked support pieces on the inside and underneath. There is also glue drips on the underside of the thin interior shelf that’s only stained on the top. The bottom interior wood is warped, hubs had to wood glue and nail some supports underneath, but again it’s still really solid…

Regardless, there’s no makers mark or brand stamped anywhere except in one spot on the back. But it looks like more of a model # than anything else.

From my 18 credit hours of art history back in the day, it looks to be more 1920s to me from the art nouveau detail on the corners of the drawers than the waterfall hardware suggests.

Comments (7)