mwj_90

Gain vs Cheer Powder

MWJ '90

Hello all,
Scent aside, which of these two P&G powders in their current formulas have the better overall cleaning power for whites in particular both clothing and towels? Love to hear your thoughts.
Also consider this question without the use of boosters. I know the results can vary widely depending on what they are paired with.

• SEA SEA

Very nice MWJ to hear from you too. Summer's start is going nicely here :) Hoping it is for you as well.

I think Gain and Cheer are similar formulas (powder) as far as cleaning ability is concerned--both mid-level. But my last two boxes of Cheer powder (and perhaps my last ever as I can't get anymore around here) cleaned as well as Tide. I've not used it on whites though, so can't speak to that. Cheer powder's claim to fame is that is doesn't fade darks as fast as regular powder detergent, with the small amount of oxygen bleach to neutralize chlorine in water and no optical brighteners.

For note, MamaPinky used to talk about another version of Gain powder that she liked very much. Perhaps some of the other forum members here might remember the exact name of it--It might have been called Gain with Oxi? She loved how it smelled and I could envision her smile when she talked about it. She said it cleaned very well and was good for towels and sheets, socks and underwear, but the scent was what she seemed to really like the most about it. I know you like a pleasant and noticable scent...

Anyhow, I have no idea if it's still in production, but if it is, you might want to give it a try. It's probably not around anymore though as most of the really good stuff is NLA.

• MWJ '90

Ahh yes, I remember Gain with Oxi in the Blissful Breeze scent. I've used it a couple times but in the liquid version of it though. It came with a white top as opposed to Gain's typical green top. It did smell really nice. I haven't seen it in stores in a while but I know it's still available on their website. Not sure about the Powder though.

Powder VS Liquid Detergent

So, some people were told by a repair man to avoid powder because it doesn’t dissolve well in cold water & will build up in the bottom of the drum. Then others were told to avoid liquid detergents because they’ll gum up your machine over time. I have a newer front load set & usually wash colors in cold. I’ve used pods but there was a time or two when they didn’t dissolve correctly & left detergent splotches on my clothes. So I switched to powder. I’m using tide with color safe bleach powder & arm & hammer with oxy powder. While both seem to clean & devolve well, you must make sure to use a lower dosage to compensate for the he machine. Add a second rinse if needed. Lately I’ve been considering trying persil the European detergent that has become available in the USA. It’s always getting high praise from reviewers & wins awards for the best laundry detergent. It comes in liquid or powder I believe.

Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?

Hello all! Have been off Houzz for a while as Bill and I contemplated moving south to a warmer, drier clime. We have made the plunge and purchased a home in southern Utah. Sad to leave this home, but excited about decorating our new one. Just posted my first dilemma and could use some of your wonderful ideas. Thanks and happy Holidays! [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-feminizing-a-very-masculine-home-office-dsvw-vd~3521060[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/need-help-feminizing-a-very-masculine-home-office-dsvw-vd~3521060)

Move the kitchen or move the powder room?

When I get home, I'll label the drawing better. There's a walk-in shower on the far right of the bathroom that's accessed from the bedroom/study. In the mudroom, it's a 2-piece powder room. You could probably eliminate the powder room in the mudroom by making the bathroom by the bedroom/study open to the hall instead of to the bedroom. In my house we walled off part of a room to create a mudroom by the garage entrance. That's a problem with Thinkdesignlive's idea -- the garage entrance would go right into the bedroom/study.

Purex vs Gain Powder

Not only do I love Gain I stepped it on up and use Gain Scent Blast. My husbands golfing buddies tell him that he’s the best smelling guy on the golf course.
  • MWJ '90

I stand corrected, the scent of the Gain Oxi is called " Icy Fresh Fizz" and it now comes with the transparent Green top. Powder is still available too. That's good news!

• SEA SEA

Ah ha! I was thinking that there might have been a 'fizz' in the name. I'm glad you got to the correct name. I'm sure MamaP was up there pounding the name into our heads lol.

• MWJ '90

Oh SEA SEA hahaha! I could only Imagine lol

• elbits

SEA SEA, I had an old stash of original Gain w/bleach before the aroma boost. It had an herbal scent to it not the fruity original of today. I wash my towels with original but sometimes use the A&H oxi powder.

• MWJ '90

elbits, do you notice any difference in cleaning power between Gain original and A&H?

• georgect

Sorry going off topic...but I can't find Biz (liquid or powder) anywhere in my area (lower Fairfield County Connecticut).

Walmart still is carrying Cheer Powder but no Biz.

Stop & Shop and Shop Rite no Biz.

Shop Rite has NO powder detergents at all.

And what's up with Tide Ultra...is that even a thing anymore?

Is Consumer Reports that behind the times, that it's listed at number one but I can't find it anywhere.

Walmart had the bunch of huge sizes of detergents (powder and liquid) but it will take me forever to finish a huge size.

Shopping in brick & mortar stores is ANNOYING (selection horrible, sizes too big), I'm going to have to order Biz online.

• MWJ '90

georgect, I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah it's really unfortunate how for most places powders are only sold in HUGE boxes whereas other sizes are almost none existent smh. Here in Central Florida, at least they have Foca, Ariel, and other Mexican branded powders. I've noticed that in most places the only powders I've been able to find are Tide, Gain, and Arm & Hammer. If I'm lucky I would see Arm & Hammer in the small boxes but that's EXTREMELY rare around here.

Among other boosters I've been able to find in stores are: Purex 2, Washing Soda, Borax, and of course Oxiclean and Biz. I'm sorry you haven't been able to find Biz in your local area. That's horrible.

• SEA SEA

That's too bad George. :( Same, ^^ what MWJ said.

However, I did see for the first time ever, powder Clorox2 in my local grocer. It's a small box and I bought it. I happen to love it. I like it better than Biz. Then I went to another grocer in town and they had it too! I bought another box there in case I never see it again.

• MWJ '90

SEA SEA, that's good to hear! I'm glad you were able to find it. I know on an earlier post I had questions about how Clorox 2 compared with Biz and Oxiclean. but I'm happy to hear that it's working well.

• SEA SEA

Yes, MWJ, I hadn't ever used Clorox2 but my inlaws did/do. I was not impressed with their laundry outcomes over the decades, so did not feel the need to use *liquid* Clorox2. Then I saw the powder version in the store. We've been very pleased with it.

• cupofkindnessgw

In general, our clothing is moderately soiled. Rarely have really dirty "darks" laundry, so a little Cheer goes a long way. I stock up on Cheer at Walmart when I can find it, its $12 for a seven pound box which is 80 loads. I measure it by the tablespoon: 1 for a small load and 4 for big loads to conserve the Cheer.

• TBL from MA

Biz fan here, usually purchase at Walmart but have acquired at Target (sometimes shipped). I've found this discussion interesting and hope someone can explain the love for powdered detergents. What am I missing? Cleaning power? Value?

• MWJ '90

TBL I really appreciate your comment, always fun having these discussions on here. Like yourself, when I first started coming on this forum I too was struck by how popular powders are on here. Before coming here I honestly have forgotten all about powders and was exclusively using liquids. But I've since learned that the reasons powders are so favored on here is due to the following reasons:

1.Cleaning Power: powders tend to be more concentrated due to the lack of water in its cleaning ingredients

1. Cost: powders tend to be the cheapest per load compared to liquids and ESPECIALLY pods.

2. Machine Health: also what I've learned on here is that for many, powders tend to be better on the machine over time. I admit, I have been using liquids for a long time in top loaders and have yet to have any issues with mold or smells but for many on here, people claim that powders eliminate that issue, especially for Front Loaders.

3. Clothes Odors: I have also learned that powders tend to eliminate and prevent odors in clothing and towels better than liquids. Again I admit, I've never had an issue with liquids in this regard, but I also admit that I have found that powders tend to do a better job on towels than liquids. But again that's just my personal experience. Not saying its gospel.

I'm sure someone is will either add to or correct some of the reasons I've mentioned above, but those are just few that I've observed over the past year being on here.

I personally typically have moderate to lightly soiled clothes so my current practice is I use liquid for colored clothing and powder for whites and towels all warm and hot washes. I have zero issues with this method. But again everyone has a preference and everyone has different results based on the detergent and/or booster combinations, water conditions, and the machine. I hope this helps.

• georgect

TBL from MA...Powder detergents tend to keep your washing machine cleaner.

Liquid detergents tend to work better for grease/oil stains while powders are better on mud/grass.

I'm going to try both Biz and Clorox 2 powders. I ordered online.

• MWJ '90

@ georgect, please let us know how you like them once you try them out. I also am looking to learn about new products. I've never used biz or Clorox 2 before. Also what is your current detergent (s) you use? I probably already asked you this before on another thread but I can't remember so please forgive me lol.

@SEA SEA you've mentioned that you prefer Clorox 2 over Biz? Why is that? Really curious.

• TBL from MA

mwj90, thanks for the explanation. What is the Gain love? Are Gain and Cheer known here for their superior performance? I can appreciate fragrance preferences but the cleansing aspect is the important thing for me, personally.

In my new old home I have moderately hard well water with small iron content, not enough that it yellows, but I'm hesitant to use chlorine bleach. I use Persil liquid Stain Fighter formula and use Biz with the light load, Persil in a condiment squirt bottle for spot treatment. 15yr old LG front loader. My husband does a lot of yard work and light socks get quite dirty. I can see the dinginess if I have no Biz. All our towels are white and I credit Biz with keeping them that way. I plan to try the Persil for Sensitive skin, as a change in body wash to unscented has improved my itchiness.

If anyone can recommend a good cleansing laundry detergent for sensitive skin, I would gladly give it a try.

georgect, it would be great if you could perform a test of Biz vs Clorox 2 for us. When you open the Biz, do it over a large receptacle. The packaging has that inner cardboard lip that collects the powder and will likely be messy due to jostling in shipping.

• SEA SEA

MWJ, the Clorox2 powder works better for us than Biz in regards to removing my fam's body odors/oils. They have very oily skin. Especially when I'm using a liquid detergent. It's like 'that' never happened. Biz helps for that issue, but to date, in my limit experience with Clorox2 powder, it's running circles around Biz.

I'll still use Biz, when called for on light colored loads as Clorox2 seems to be marketed to color loads.

• MWJ '90

TBL, you're so welcome. I hope it was helpful. Like I said I know others will gladly correct me if need or add a few more things as I consider myself a bit of a novice on here and am learning also.

To answer your question concerning Gain and Cheer. These two detergents are what we would generally consider as "mid-tier" detergents in terms of cleaning power. The only reason we're speaking about these two in particular is because this just happens to be the question I raised. I am known on here for being the "poll" guy. I like to ask questions about different types of detergents especially the more "mid-tier" options since it seems to be universally acknowledged that Tide and Persil are two of the best and premium detergents that are available on the market today. I generally shy away from asking about those two because every website tends to always have those two rated the highest and they dominate the industry. So I personally find it more interesting to ask about the lesser publicized or mid to lower tier detergents.

I don't see much information on the web about Arm & Hammer, Cheer, Original All, Purex, Sun, Xtra, Fab, Surf, Ajax, and so on and so forth. So I thought this would be the best way to get people's thoughts about those products. And it's been very informative for me personally :)

• ci_lantro

The way that I usually use Biz is as a long presoak for heavily stained items. In a bucket, not in the washer. Yes, it can cause excess sudsing.

I first learned about Biz years & years ago when I had babies. Given a long enough soak, Biz would remove old set in baby formula stains. I rescued more than a few garage sale finds & hand me downs that looked to be hopeless.

• MWJ '90

SEA SEA, that makes perfect sense. I will definitely keep Clorox 2 on my radar.

• vinmarks

So Clorox2 is an additive? Looks like I need to look for it.

• elbits

I was impressed with the Purex oxi liquid but liquids made my top load washer smell like dirty socks. Since I went back to using powders my washer doesn't smell. I use warm water, hot only for towels. Lately I'm using Gain original for towels w/vinegar in the rinse and A&H oxi for regular clothes, both powders. The A&H is a fine powder that easily dissolves.

• MWJ '90

Elbits, as always it's good hearing from you. I am currently using Gain Original for my towels as well. But as of now I have colored towels but we are planning to switch over to all white towels soon. So I'm curious as to how well Gain, Cheer, or A&H will perform.

Have you ever used A&H oxi on your towels, if so how does it compare with the Gain?

• jenfbc

There's Clorox 2 powder?? I have never seen that anywhere.

• MWJ '90

Jenfbc, yes they have powder. Unfortunately it's REALLY rare in stores. But the good news is that it's still in production.

• MWJ '90

Here it is.

• SEA SEA

I'm glad you were able to post an image of the box MWJ. I can't get a photo onto Houzz since I got a new phone.

vinmarks, perhaps the Clorox2 powder would have sped up the de-stinkifying process you recently went through with your laundry? I am useing it with detergent in the pre-wash/soak cycle in my TL Speed Queen. I let it soak for 30-120 mins, depending on what's going on in there. Then I cycle through and add half a dose of detergent to the main wash cycle as my wash does a drain and spin after a soak.

• elbits

MWJ '90, Yes, I have used the A&H oxi powder on my towels on occasion but I always wash my towels in hot water. Truthfully, I cannot say I notice a difference in cleaning. The Gain makes my towels smell good but it's too sweet smelling for my clothes. After wearing for a while, the sweetness is nauseating. The A&H is subtle. About 12 years ago I had a box of powdered Tide, I cannot remember which scent, and it left white debris on my black pants. Maybe from the fillers in it?

• MWJ '90

Thank you Elbits. Helpful info as always.

• Dorian Crouse

I prefer Cheer over Gain powder

• MWJ '90

Dorian, thank you for your comment. Do you use Cheer on both clothes and towels or just clothes? Also how does Cheer perform on whites from your experience?

• beaglenc

@TBL from MA, this of off topic, but what body wash do you use that's unscented? I find even the sensitive ones have some scent. All I can find is Cerave bar soap, but would like a bodywash.

MWJ, if you want a powder for whites, Tide with Bleach is the one. I love it but I just can't handle the scent, due to health reasons. That's why I use Clorox 2 pods.

• TBL from MA

beaglenc, at a dermatologist's recommendation, Dove body wash for sensitive skin. It's fine, but I miss the fragrance of the Dove Deep Moisture. Dove has another, haven't tried Dove Irritation Care Body Wash. In my Walmart shopping basket I have Aveeno Restorative Skin Therapy Sulfate-Free Body Wash. Like many manufacturers, Both Dove and Aveeno produce a ridiculous number of varieties, and the descriptive names are confusing, like laundry detergent!

• Cavimum

beaglenc - This Eucerin body wash has no fragrance. I can use it because it also has no Cocamidopropyl betaine in it, too.

• Dorian Crouse

I used Cheer for colors. Our towels are all white, and usually get Tide powder. Cheer does not have an oxygen bleach activator and thus does not whiten as well. You would need to make sure the water being used is 140°F or higher.

I mainly prefer Cheer over Gain for the scent and lack of optical brighteners!

• MWJ '90

Dorian, thank you so much for your comment. Very helpful info.

• MWJ '90

• MWJ '90

• tideman_59

I only use Cheer powder for colors. I've never used it on whites so can't comment on its cleaning ability in that context. I also haven't used plain Gain Powder recently so I don't know its cleaning ability either. However, I am currently using "Gain Powder with Oxi-Boost" from my stash on my whites and have had great results. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and no longer available. It's too bad because it is a good detergent with a great scent. The scent on the box says it's "Icy Fresh Fizz" !

• momof5x

I use Dr Beckmann’s Glo White or a little bleach ( not too much as it can cause itching and break open stitches if left too long in water). Always, go easy with the bleach.Glo White comes in sachets, so just add one to whites when washing.

• MWJ '90

tideman_59 as always thank you for your input. I thought I saw Gain Oxi-Boost "Icy Fresh Fizz" powder on their website. Please don't tell me it's gone for good :-(

• MWJ '90

momof5x, thank you for sharing. Is it a powder? I never heard of it before.

• MWJ '90

Oh never mind, I missed the "comes in sachets" part. Thank you!

• momof5x

Yes, it’s a powder in a sachet . Sorry late in replying , busy with all the little grandkids around and playing peace make hehehe*

• MWJ '90

momof5x haha no problem at all. Ahh grandkids, what a blessing! :-)

• tideman_59

I went to the Gain website for the Gain With Oxi-Boost Powder and it's still listed. However, when you click on either of the 2 sizes it says there are no sellers located. So, unfortunately I think it's discontinued. I still always look for it at the closeout stores in my area.

• MWJ '90

Thank you for the update tideman. It's a shame the good stuff doesn't stick around too long.

Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 14x Best of Houzz