hula1974

Too much white? Countertop question.

hula1974

Really struggling with the countertop decision in my remodeled kitchen. We've picked out the cabinets, floor and tile but are stuck on the countertop and wall colors. I love the look of butcher block but have decided I'd like a solid surface countertop for various reasons. These are the 3 that my husband and I had narrowed down but now I'm wondering if we are in the wrong color family all together. The sink is a Kohler white farmhouse (I don't have a color swatch). And I should also note that I will have a lot of countertop.

Any suggestions? Maybe we have tunnel vision here.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK

Fun project!

Can you please post pic of full kitchen with dimensions?

What bulbs are you using, do you have a ton of natural light?

What does your floor look like?

Please, we need a lot more info.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Can I assume that the oak sample is your floor? If yes I think the blue cabinets, oak floor, white countertops and white tile looks great together!

hula1974 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Does soapstone come in white or off white for a counter top?

No soapstone is a unique natural stone that comes in the grey/green/black shade. I feel you could help narrow down your choices make by making a list that includes - whether you Love to clean up or Hate to clean. Don't mind daily maintenance or Yearly maintenance is too much bother. Budget less than $600 or $8000 is fine. Once you know your lifestyle then pick a white counter and you will be happier than if you end up with a choice that drives you crazy. White marble looks great but requires loads of maintenance unless you love wine and food stains....which by the way many people in Europe embrace as part of their 200 year old antique marble countertops.

Will carrera counters reflect too much light?

I do not think that it will be too bright. You need good lighting when you cook, and a honed finish would cut down on glare.

Too much matching? Kitchen table and countertop

That particular table with the white 'cone' pedestal only comes in 52 inch. The tulip I showed above comes in 48 inch which we can fit in the rectangular space. Also open to an oval tulip but not sure if we need that much surface area.

Granite counter top overhang too long?

i agree it looks squashed *because* the top is too big to the right. but you are going to have all sorts of issues if you redo as the wall is all set now. and i'm thinking the instant that you put a roll of toilet paper on the holder its all going to look better. if the vanity is what you see, straight on, as you enter it will take a while to get used to it. but even tho you are/may be right, i dont see this as something you actually want them to fix because of the wall being finished. is the left side of the backsplash removable? does it go to the back wall, or does the back of the backsplash go to the corner? removing that left side would probably make it look less unbalanced.
  • hula1974

That's the floor swatch in the photo. I'll be using pot lights mostly. It's a very open floor plan.

• hula1974

Thanks Diana. yes, that's te floor sample. Not sure why I'm just worried about so much white looking like a hospital!

• chispa

Hospitals are done in drab dingy colors these days!

Your samples don't give the right ratio of colors. You'll have a lot more brown/floor and blue/cabinets to balance the white.

Did you see larger samples of the counters? A couple look quite blue-gray, but that could be the cabinet color influencing the display.

Did you also make sure to hold all your samples in the actual orientation that they will be installed?

• hula1974

@chispa - those are good points! No, all I have are these tiny little ones to go by - except I did see one of them in a larger display at Home Depot. And yes, two of them are a little grey.

Are these dingy colors? My head is swirling with these decisions! LOL

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Not dingy at all! As chispa said, just make sure you view them in the room with the actual lighting. Place the cabinet and backsplash tile samples vertically and the flooring and counter top samples horizontally, to get the best idea of how they will look once installed. Also, remember that what we see on our monitors is not what you see in real life. The nuances of color are very difficult to determine on a computer monitor. I may see a grayish white, someone else may see a greenish white, etc. Only you can see the actual color.

• hula1974

Ok thank you! So I guess I'm in the right family and do t need to look at something with more color.

• btydrvn

Keep in mind you still have wall color and accessories to add…these can tone it down or up as you get closer to the finish…also the floor looks like a warm contrast to liven up the space ..i wouldn’t be tempted to turn to gray in any big way ..as it is over used and does not add warmth…

• hula1974

Thank you @btydrvn . Wall color is the next problem to tackle!

• modernfun

I would go all white with the wood floors! Backsplash white glass...SO much color in this world and you put plants and vibrant flowers...beuatful plateware and decorations...just like a blank palette otherwise it is not. Just my thoughts!

Joseph Corlett, LLC

"We've picked out the cabinets, floor and tile but are stuck on the countertop and wall colors."

You're picking in the wrong order. If you go cabinets, countertop, floor, tile, and wall color, your choices expand with each decision.

• hula1974

Valid point Joseph! Perhaps I should really have said I'm second guessing my decision on the countertop. And the wall color is for sure last here since I have no idea what direction to go in (it's a very open floorplan and this color will be for 3 rooms).

• hula1974

I'm going with solid surface - is there a way to see more than just the sample?

• wynterwynd

If you mean solid surface like Corian, then the sample should suffice. If you mean quartz, then you can see the slabs at the fabricator, usually.
    I think you will like the white countertop; after 15 years, I’m switching from dark to white (with subtle veining) and can’t wait! Your color combo is very nice. Wall color is my most difficult decision also but paint is the easiest thing to change. I find that scrolling through pictures on Houzz is a great way to get ideas for wall colors.

hula1974 thanked wynterwynd
  • hula1974

@wynterwynd - yes, like Corian.

So many kitchen photos I see don't show much wall at all! It's all cabinet and tile. Two of my counter samples have grey in it so I may be boxing myself into greyish walls if I choose them.

Joseph Corlett, LLC

Unlike estone, solid surface samples look identical to sheets.

• btydrvn

It seems to me anytime you choose a pretty dominant color for you cabinetry ( especially in an open floor plan)…you are limiting you use of other colors…in the rest of the space….perhaps to the point of being restricted to neutrals in most other choices…i think it is why you mostly see wood or white cabinets..and why colored cabinets may be relegated to “trendy” status

• tedbixby

Are you able to decide on the countertop after the cabinets are installed? And then once that is installed select the backsplash as then you can put up samples and see how well everything plays together. So often on here people make these selections ahead of time ( especially the backsplash) and have regrets.

• hula1974

@tedbixby I could wait to decide on the counter I think. But, though I know it is out of order I'm in love with the backsplash already

• tedbixby

Wait on the counter and then at that time while you consider the counter you can keep your backsplash in mind. If it works bonus points and if it doesn't, no damage done except a broken heart-lol...

• btydrvn

Just curious... what is it you love about the backsplash?...it is not unheard of to design a kitchen around a backsplash you love...but all I see is white?

• hula1974

@btydrvn it is tough to see in the photo but it looks a little like painted concrete blocks. We need 51 SQ ft of it so I liked that it looked like an accent wall. Here's a photo I took of a larger display of it.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

That's a great-looking tile--love the texture.

• hula1974

Thanks I love it too! Hoping it can go with almost anything. Fingers crossed

• orion_hamal

If you decide you need some movement instead of flat white, then keep the walls and backsplash white ( i know, its too clinical😅) and keep the floors the color you chose ( thats a lovely color) and select a countertop with a variation of blue-grey veins running through it . that way you have a little tie in with your cabinets and keep it from looking too boring. And hopefully some beautiful bronze or gold hardware.. will make it pop.. you have some very cool possibilities with your current choices by the way. Update us with the final selection, good luck.

• hula1974

Thank you Orion!

• btydrvn

The splash looks rustic …which would justify atleast a “partial” built in butcher block countertop….since you have a lot of counter space….you can raise the block slightly higher and butt the other counter material up to it on each side…it could be installed unattached but “built-in” so as it wears down it can be flipped to the new side…if you go that way it would affect the counter choice…one that looks less formal than a marble pattern….

Pearl Remodeling

There is no such thing as too much white :) check out this awesome kitchen we have completed. https://www.pearlremodeling.com/gallery/kitchen-remodeling/Key-St./7/

• btydrvn

I think the all- white kitchen is a bit too much ,too…feels a little sterile and a big commitment to keep all the surfaces free of smudges …spots…drips…even tho’ it has seen its days …i like the kitchen to feel a little more “homey” and inviting as it usually ends up the place where everyone hangs out…

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

I think that the blue cabinets will avoid a too-white look. And the texture on the tiles and the counter top will add enough interest. Once the major pieces are in place, then you can do a lot with accessories. You might want to add some interest on the ceiling too?

• hula1974

Thank you. It is starting to come along I hope! As for the ceiling....I have a beam to deal with. There was a thread about it a few months ago. Lots of people were not happy (rightfully so) but we're moving forward anyway.

One thing about the counter though - we DO want solid surface. So I don't think there will be too much veining or movement other than an overall pattern.

• theresen

I would hang onto that backsplash tile, but choose the countertop first. It will be much easier to find another tile if you have to. Having different shades of white are not always bad, but they need to play well with each other, and that may not always be the case.

hula1974 thanked theresen
  • theresen

Ps, one other consideration - the more gloss you have on the tile, the more light will reflect. If you feel the room is bright enough already, matte tiles would be fine.

hula1974 thanked theresen
  • hula1974

@theresen - I'm going to have to do some reading to see what that exactly means. I guess the only white I'm really locked into in the Kohler sink. But not sure what whites play well together.

I may have to go with a counter that it a bit on the grey side and then commit to that for the walls too.

Or this Wilsonart Beige Travertine might be nice with my floor if I'm willing to go with a brown tone wall too.

• theresen

I just mean that (whatever - tile, paint, other) you could pick a half dozen whites, and even though you could swear they were each white, they will all have different undertones. You could find one look too yellowish when combined with others, or they could all be similar enough to be fine together. My upstairs bathroom has white enameled tub, porcelain toilet and sink basin with white painted vanity against white tile on the walls. They are all slightly different, but thankfully don’t clash. Just something to watch out for.

• hula1974

Very cool floor!

• Jamie Thomas

OP...that is beautiful tile. Can you share the name/brand?

• hula1974

Thanks Jamie!
    Naxmak Brick Alum

• theresen

If you’re asking about the cement tile… it’s from Villa Lagoon in a custom color. If you are not experienced with cement, TALK TO ME FIRST! I knew what I was getting into, and still had near catastrophes with both bathroom floors. In this case the tiles had been pre-sealed, but still were stained from the tinted grout! It took hours of scrubbing with magic erasers (of all things, and I tried everything!) to restore them enough to proceed. I love cement tiles. There is nothing else that feels the same underfoot, but installation can be a bitch! Even for pros! Too many of them are bad with ceramic, far fewer can manage more temperamental materials.

• theresen

Where did you find that tile?

• hula1974

Wayne Tile Company

I saw it on display at one of their shops.