Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_430829141

cork floor in a gym?

J H
2 years ago

Pros/cons of putting a cork floor in a home gym? Will be installed by floor company so want best option, but not worries about diy. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• Steve Grimes
    2 years ago

Cork probably wouldn't be durable enough for free weights or crossfit

• Catherine Shively
    2 years ago

Study floor and cover with the big rubber mats used for horse stalls.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

Sorry but Steve Grimes is incorrect. And Ms. Shively is suggesting a rubber product that is foul smelling and is not ranked for 'indoor' use.

Cork floating floor can be used. It is relatively cheap ($4 - $12/sf...depending on what you buy and the quality you choose to work with). As a cork flooring expert, I've helped put in floating cork (click together) AND glue-down cork tiles in home gyms AND professional gyms.

Cork can handle whatever you throw at it...it just depends on WHAT you want to throw at it. If you are doing power lifting with free weights (300+ pound clean and jerk???) then you want to work with 8mm glue down tiles = biggest baddest meanest most expensive cork floor on the market. Something like that will offer 150 YEARS of service...and counting.

If you want an elliptical trainer and a tread mill and a weight training station then work with a decent quality cork floating floor. That's all you need. The durability of the finish rides with the MANUFACTURER. Like every thing, not all cork floors are created equal. The big names have some big finishes with MASSIVE price tags. Those could be over kill for you...or it could be EXACTLY what you need.

Let us know a bit MORE about what you want in your gym, how big the floor space and if you want NOISE control as well. I'll keep an eye out for this thread to see if I can help narrow down your choices.

First...what are some of the BRANDS you are looking at right now?

• PRO
    ouge001
    2 years ago

We are a company specializing in selling discount home fitness equipment.Recently, we have a lot of discounted products, and the discounts are very strong. Now it is very cost-effective to buy.We offer two purchase modes, order-based and retail, and order-based discounts are more powerful! Home Gym https://www.accprice.com/

• Kaitlyn G
    2 years ago

@SJ McCarthy, came across this thread. Looking at a new build home gym approx 140 sq ft. Will do Peloton, Treadmill, weights, and high impact activities like burpees, etc. What are the recommended brands?

• T
    last year

Hi, did you end up using cork flooring for the gym? How did it turn out? Looking to do the same.

• K R
    last year

I had a professional gym company come in and install indoor rubber flooring in our home gym. I don’t throw weights down, but I’m not being careful with dumbbells either. I like it a lot. You just need to damp mop it (or swifter) every once in a while to clean. (This was right after the install so it’s sandy from the installers’ shoes, we wear indoor sneakers in here so it never gets like this). No smell either.